What's going on with my starter and flexplate!? Pictures!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

What's going on with my starter and flexplate!? Pictures!

I've had this '00 Passat 2.8L ATQ 4motion for months. I bought it with a bad engine. I got one from a '01 A6. Since I swapped it in I've had problems starting it. See my video.

It appeared to be an engagement problem. It looked like it wasn't fully engaging the teeth on the flexplate... The old flexplate was damaged from the starter. I got a new starter and a new flexplate.

HOWEVER, look at the pictures with the started bolted to the engine. The starter would never be able to fully engage the flex plate.

HELP! What is going on!!!???

The last picture shows the cone of the starter essentially rubbing against the flexplate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Does the '00 Passat 2.8L ATQ 4motion and the '01 A6 use the exact same flex plate and starter? If they don't, that may explain why the bendex isn't meshing properly. Do some part number research and see if there is a difference. You may need to switch to the A6 starter if it's got a different clearance.

Were there shims on the old setup that aren't on the new setup?

Does VW/Audi even use starter shims?

(get some grease in those door hinges )

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    Does the '00 Passat 2.8L ATQ 4motion and the '01 A6 use the exact same flex plate and starter? If they don't, that may explain why the bendex isn't meshing properly. Do some part number research and see if there is a difference. You may need to switch to the A6 starter if it's got a different clearance.

Were there shims on the old setup that aren't on the new setup?

Does VW/Audi even use starter shims?

(get some grease in those door hinges )
    Yes they use the same starter. There are no shims. And this is like 1/2"...

I'll grease the hinges when the car moves.

Neutral
    I tried this starter as well. It's for a '99 Passat. It's even worse.

Neutral
    Anyone? I can't drive my car until this is fixed.

Neutral
    Anyone? I really need this fixed...

Banned
    The starter likely isnt keeping your car from starting, if a 200 hp engine wants to start it can start and not care less about a stupid starter dragging on the flywheel, it could easily tear that starter apart if it had to. I would say its something else.

2nd Gear
    If I read this correctly it seems as if the problem is that the starter isn't engaging at all.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by BISHILVR View Post
    The starter likely isnt keeping your car from starting, if a 200 hp engine wants to start it can start and not care less about a stupid starter dragging on the flywheel, it could easily tear that starter apart if it had to. I would say its something else.
    I think you're confused. Read the whole post.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
    If I read this correctly it seems as if the problem is that the starter isn't engaging at all.
    Yep. You can see by the pictures it's not really engaging the flexplate as it should.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron84 View Post
    Yep. You can see by the pictures it's not really engaging the flexplate as it should.

The starter should not engage in the faceplate whenever there is no current flow. If the starter receives current the solenoid would activate and the starter gear would somewhat jump to the faceplate gear to engage to turn over your engine. Did you direct test your starter with a battery without connecting to the engine? If you do so you would see that the gear would somewhat jump and that is the time it will engage with your faceplate gear. I've installed several starters but they are not engaging to the faceplate gear without current flow. That is how starter should work because if the starter gear would always make contact with the faceplate gear it will dragged and damage your engine or your starter, who ever comes first.

Banned
    It looked and sounded to me like it was turning over.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by BISHILVR View Post
    It looked and sounded to me like it was turning over.
    It almost would. It wouldn't quite turn over enough to fire. Then it got worse and worse as it destroyed the flex plate. Check out the pictures of engagement.

Neutral
    Updates from questions asked in other forums:

The flexplate is not on backwards. The distance from the block/transmission mounting surface to the closest part of the ring gear is 11.2mm

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    is the starter fully extending on the bendix so it fully engages? are you sure the starter is fully bolted down? is that a starter from an ATQ, or from the A6 2.8? there were no shims on the starter for my AHA.

Steve asked if the flex plate was from the ATQ, or the stock A6 one...?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    is the starter fully extending on the bendix so it fully engages? are you sure the starter is fully bolted down? is that a starter from an ATQ, or from the A6 2.8? there were no shims on the starter for my AHA.

Steve asked if the flex plate was from the ATQ, or the stock A6 one...?
    The engine from the A6 is an ATQ. The starter will fully extend, however it isn't physically long enough to engage the ring gear. Yes I'm sure the starter is fully bolted down. The engine was on the hoist for those pictures and it was clear that the base of the starter and the engine were flush with another. The flywheel is the Passat's. The Starters and flywheels are the same part numbers for the '00 4motion Passat and '01 A6 quattro anyway.

Neutral
    I went out to the garage and pulled the flexplate off. I found that what I thought was the end of the machined crankshaft was actually a spacer.

.... and the crank underneath.

It's over a CM thick... I'm assuming this is my problem.

So my question is: On this '00 4motion is it supposed to be CRANK [3 mm spacer] FLEXPLATE [1.25 mm spacer] BOLTS?

What about the spacer on the end of my crank?

I wish I wasn't witless Passat2.8's Avatar
    Does the flywheel hit anything if you bolt it on without the spacer? Also, was their a spacer on the original engine?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat2.8 View Post
    Does the flywheel hit anything if you bolt it on without the spacer? Also, was their a spacer on the original engine?
    No it doesn't I'll take measurements tomorrow. I don't know if there was a spacer on the original engine. I had a friend help with that part unfortunately and I think that's why I'm in this jam now.

3rd Gear
    Was the donor engine from a manual or an auto car?

Neutral
    What is the engine code from the A6? (AHA or ATQ)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post
    Was the donor engine from a manual or an auto car?
    Auto

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by davidp (oh) View Post
    what is the engine code from the a6? (aha or atq)
    atq

Neutral
    I tried a to see if I could use the spacer after the flexplate, but the torque converter hits the spacer. The parts I need are on order since Monday and will be in on Friday. Then, HOPEFULLY, it will be back together.

Neutral
    Here is your problem... There are two different flexplates used with the AHA/ATQ engines. You are using the one that is designed to work with the thinner spacer. The proper flexplate to work with your setup looks like this:

Notice that the long hole in the reluctor ring has the thin strip of metal on the trans side covering it (unlike yours, pictured below).

Do you have the A6 flexplate? If so, use it if it looks like the one pictured.

27. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information