Help with coolant woes and bleeding the system
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Help with coolant woes and bleeding the system

Whats up passat world, i need help with a coolant issue. So basically Im working on a 01 passat 1.8t aug which had a broken timing belt and bent valves so the head came off and all of its back together running great. I dont know if the heat worked fine before this but I cant seem to get it to work now and i dunno if thats really all my problems right now or not. I may of but a coolant hose in the wrong place or something but i dont think so.

So starting from the begaining I ran the car for about a hour without bleeding or anything but i did have the cap off and I could never get any heat. The next day I locataed the bleeder hole and lifted the coolant tank and removed the cap. I ran it like this for like 2 hours sometimes holding the throttle for several minutes (could c the turbo glowing a little) and bled it but still to no avail and most of the time even with the cap on it, it wouldnt build pressure. I also found a small leak, fixed it and pressure tested it at 15pounds which seemed to hold fine for ten minutes or so, when i had the pressure tester on it, it seemed all lines had pressure. So i got a new cap today and tryed it again, this time it seemed a lil easier to pressurize but it required me holding the throttle for several minutes. Bled it again but still no heat. So i hooked a scanner up to it and noticed one coolant temp sensor read 199 and the other read 145, I also noticed the long term fuel trim (i had the battery disconnected when changing the head so these r fresh readings...i guess) was add 16.4% so im assuming the ecu is adding fuel cause its been running cold. Where r the temp sensors located? i saw one in the back of the head but I dont c the other

Im at a lost, the only thing i can think of was the thermostat, i hoooked a hose up wrong, or the heat (im assuming its operated by a bleed door only cause i didnt c a valve) never worked to begain with. I guess il but a new thermostat in it regardless but now i dont think its the problem. Maybe the waterpump i put on was reverse flow or something i dunno? do other passat pumps flow different but bolt up? Helpp!!!!!! and sorry i double posted

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    1) Where are you in NC?

2) the heater core probably still has air in it. Did you pull the heater hose back about 1 inch to expose the bleed hole? The bleed hole can be seen on the passenger side heater core hose. Pull that hose back, then lift the reservoir until coolant comes out.

Neutral
    im n wilmington and Iv already bled it like eight times. Maybe i didnt state that good enough in my original thread. I replaced the thermostat and its still the same thing

4th Gear

Neutral
    im gonna try that eventually but i dont think thats the problem because it worked fine before hand and both tubes are hot. I think my real issue here is that its not building pressure which confuses the shit outta me. I did find two more tiny leaks when i pressurized it to 20 pounds. its the elbow on the tstat housing that using the dumb vw clamps, and the bottom of the oil cooler line. These tiny leaks wont evolve til i put the pressure tester on the car, not when i run the shit outta the motor until it might build like 3 psi (i know that from playing with the pressure tester, blowing the upper rad hose up until it felt like when the car was on and at operating temperature).

Someone who is smarter than me should be able to help me out from this symptom: Im getting a steady stream of bubbles (very audiable)from the researve return line, esp when i turn the researve on its side so the water just sits over the return line hole. SO......to me its either head gasket/cracked head or air trapped and the water around that air is boiling and causing these bubbles. Tomorrow im gonna pop the researve turn it on its side and crank it up, if it bubbles as soon as i start the motor than im gonna say head gasket/ cracked head. If it doesnt bubble Im going to assume its trapped air which is what im hoping for, if this is even sound reasoning. Dont u think if it was a head gasket that itd b building ALOT of pressure? I really think its air due to the temp sensor readings i got today which were 222 degrees and 133. So one sensor is 90 degrees hotter than the other....wth?? If i knew where the sensors were it might help me but id have more research to do. I also put the front end on a post lift and jack it up while i bled and bled and bled and bled.....iv spent three days now trying to fix this.

Dont know if this would b helpful and il check it out tomorrow but I know the a/c used to work and now i dont here the compressor engaing when i hit the ac button and the air doesnt get too cold. Like i said il look at that tomorrow, im done with this thing for today.

3rd Gear
    Quick thought on the A/C: When my A/C compressor was giving me problems, it turned out that my electric fan (the one that sounds like a jet engine) had gone bad so you could see if that fan is engaging first. If its not that, have someone check the pressure in the lines, and get it leak tested (probably better done at a dealer or indy shop.) If it is not that than you could also have a faulty pressure sensor or relay/fuse.

One of the coolant sensors is located on the bottom radiator hose (believe passenger side) and the other is located behind the motor. The one behind the motor controls the instrument cluster temperature, and the one on the radiator hose is for the ECM. Both failed at one point on my mom's old car. If you had the top end of the motor rebuilt, you would've used a new head gasket I imagine. Did you torque every bolt to spec, or just guess? Also, did you replace the water pump when you redid the belt and all? I think pressure testing the system at upwards of 20 psi is a bit much, I'm not an expert but it just seems high, you could be creating leaks if a hose' cracks are expanding enough.

Refer to this page for the coolant flush too, could just be a minor detail you're missing. It is pretty extensive. taligentx.com: Passat - Coolant Flush I hope you're not using coolant for bleeding it 8 times (like new out of the bottle) what a tremendous cost
    Last edited by vbora01; 12-02-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Neutral
    The waterpump froze, broke the timing belt, and bent valves So yep all new stuff. I torque them to i think 46lbs then one quarter turn. I can def hear the fan engaging lol. Wonder if the sensor at the lower rad hose is bad? Or maybe the air is traped in the guage sensor location and thats y i cant build pressure and get bubbles. Can the scanner pick up the signal from the sensor in the head? The cap is rated at 22psi and i actually only ran the tester up to 18 pounds.

1st Gear
    Are you using -exclusively- G12 coolant and distilled water? If not, I think it's pretty easy for the core to get plugged up. I had to go through the heater core flushing ordeal for a no-heat issue recently and it worked. Give it a shot. If it's a headgasket issue you should be noticing the many other signs such as coolant in the oil (or vice versa) or combustion material in the coolant.

3rd Gear
    In my post above I meant to mention that I am referring to the coolant sensors in the second paragraph. Try the heater core flush, it would be hard to imagine that there is a leak that is letting air in, but not leaking coolant, especially if the system is pressurized with coolant in it. Vagcom will report the temperature that the sensor is reading on the lower radiator hose, and may also throw a code but not trigger the CEL.

Neutral
    Ok guys I think ur right, Im now 99% sure the heater core is plug. After a few more hours of bleeding, driving, and checking the coolant, iv ruled out everything else. Also I did a half ass flush today and got a lil bit of heat to come out. So I'll b doing the clr flush with the drill pump tomorrow or sunday. Thanks guys so much for your help. Il b happy to c this vdub leave my garage. And no i was just using water after my first jug of coolant. So I'll go get all the proper stuff and probably flush the block out too.

Neutral
    I have HeaT!! So finally got around to flushing it today. My drill pump was a pos and leaked all over the place through the center section. I did clr and some awsome degreaser, soaked it for about a hour and ran the drill pump in between. I also reverse flowed it both ways when i hooked the hose up to rinse. Didnt c much come out but i did get a lot of sand looking stuff. I dont know what i was thinking earlier on the bubbles (people were putting stupid thoughts n my head is what happened), obviously the system will boil under no pressure and thats what was happening. When i was done today i barely had to bleed it, just did it once for safe measure and not much air at all. Damn i wasted a lot of time not listening to u guys. Oh and i fixed the ac too, I forgot a plug so i took the bumper off last night just to check that plug and viola. Thanks again!! hopefully the heat will last for a while.

Neutral
    Just another quick question that is irrelevant but I drained some of the excess oil i put n there and it already looked really bad and iv only put 100 miles since the change. Its like a brick redish color? is that just from sludge and mayb previous owners not maintaining it properly? I also c the redish color on other cars, wonder what thats from?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    are you sure you pulled the oil drain plug?

3rd Gear
    Yeah, sounds like you might have drained the tranny fluid.

Neutral
    Hahaha yeah def oil. When I did the change I put five quarts, ran it 100 miles, then heeded the oil cap and drained the extra quart out. Come on guys I just rebuilt this head pretty much, can't believe y'all asked that lol

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oil isn't red. it's not even reddish in color.

3rd Gear
    Plenty of people have drained trans-fluid by mistake when trying to drain oil.

If it actually is oil that's reddish, could be pink G12 mixing in - oil cooler issue, maybe? Is your coolant murky/changing colors?

Neutral
    Just a brown redish hue is al, no mixing

3rd Gear
    Brown reddish hue...in the coolant? If so, odds are good that oil is mixing in.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information