How much oil for 1.8t oil change?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How much oil for 1.8t oil change?

Everything I have read says 3.9qts, so I put that amount in. It is a 2002 1.8t and it's the first time I have done the oil change since I bought it. The dip stick does not say full or add on it, it just has an orange plastic piece part way up. Like I said i put 3.9 ate in, but it is still showing 2" below that orange plastic piece.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pa2play View Post
    Everything I have read says 3.9qts, so I put that amount in. It is a 2002 1.8t and it's the first time I have done the oil change since I bought it. The dip stick does not say full or add on it, it just has an orange plastic piece part way up. Like I said i put 3.9 ate in, but it is still showing 2" below that orange plastic piece.
    Did you use the new oem filter? ( bigger )
    DidnĀ“t understand quite well the description you made to measure the oil level, can you please put a picture to exemplify it?

4th Gear
    4.25 quarts / 4 liters. You'll need to make sure to use the recommended oil filter size for this motor, which I'm nost sure the old one is even listed for this car anymore.

3rd Gear
    I used a 4 or 5 liter bottle of lubri-moly and my stick says it's overfilled.

2002 1.8T 5MT GLS

Neutral
    The filter I used is a WIX filter from O'reilys, and here is a pic of my dip stick. There is not Full line or Fill line.

Neutral
    The filter I used is a WIX filter from O'reilys, and here is a pic of my dip stick. There is not Full line or Fill line. There are little hash marks, or what ever you call them on the indented part, but the oil was already over those marks with only like 2.5qts. And yes, I drained out all the oil.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

1st Gear
    Did you drain the oil or the transmission fluid?

At 4 liters, you should be right in the middle of the hash marks. You were probably checki.g it wrong too. Put the recommended amount in, run the engine to circulate and let it sit a few minutes. Check again. Should be perfectly in the middle of the hashes

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by zing512 View Post
    Did you drain the oil or the transmission fluid?
    Now that you say that..hmmmmm
    I drained the farthest back sump, the painted black sump with the allen head plug, not the silver one with the 15mm plug. It looks like oil, and smells like oil. I measured out the oil I drained and it was exactly 4 qts. Here is a pic of where the oil is on the dip stick. RED line.
    [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

1st Gear
    There should only be one drain hole. You drained the transmission fluid. You have to remove the belly pan to drain the oil.

Neutral
    There should only be one drain hole. You drained the transmission fluid. You have to remove the belly pan to drain the oil.
    my car actually doesn't even have the belly pan any more, so it's the front pan, the silver one for the oil....O crap

1st Gear
    It's the front one. Well look at it this way, great time to do your trans fluid!

Neutral
    It's the front one. Well look at it this way, great time to do your trans fluid!
    yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it. Although everything I am reading, says don't change your fluid on the auto trannys. I am thinking I might just put the fluid back in.

1st Gear
    When looking at the dipstick the hash marks = a quart of oil. If you are below the hash marks then you are more then a quart low.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Don't start it!

Get the oil level back down to the normal zone first.

1st Gear
    As Steve said, you need to get the oil level down. The hash marks people are talking about are the indent area.

2nd Gear
    Although everything I am reading, says don't change your fluid on the auto trannys. I am thinking I might just put the fluid back in.
    Unless you are sure the fluid is contaminent free I would put fresh ATF back in, not the old stuff. There is a special procedure for getting fluid into the transmission as there is no dipstick.

6th Gear
    yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it. Although everything I am reading, says don't change your fluid on the auto trannys. I am thinking I might just put the fluid back in.
    I wouldn't do that. You probably didn't drain it into a pristine container. If you have another car, I'd take the opportunity to do at least a partial ATF change. It won't hurt anything, and will likely prolong the life of your transmission. Go to the VW DEALER for the fluid, unless your local places stock Pentosin ATF-1.

Oh, and absolutely don't start your engine until the oil is at the correct level. Lots of possible grief from that, as some members have found out.

Neutral
    well I have started my engine a couple of times in the process of trying to figure out what the original problem was. I only let it run for about 5 or more seconds just enough to fill the oil filter and get the oil flowing. I haven't started it since. After thinking about it, I will be stopping by the VW dealership to pick up the ATF as well as some power steering fluid that I noticed was LOW. While I am at it, I am replacing the transmission oil filter and gasket, it's only $25. I still can't believe it did this, how freaking stupid can I get?

1st Gear
    at least now when you sell the car you can say it passed the trade known no transmission oil with hundreds of oil test.

3rd Gear
    ... I still can't believe it did this, how freaking stupid can I get?
    Don't be. This has been happened too many times for the first-timer doing the oil change on Passat. At least you were aware the high oil level on dipstick after the oil change and asked. Some people even drove the car for a day with very low ATF level and complained the transmission shifting problem.

I would get new oil and filter since yours had been contaminated by the used oil which had never been drained. You may have already known, but make sure to use synthetic oil with VW 502 00 spec like Castrol Syntec 5W-40 oil. Check the link for proper oil filter for your 1.8T. And finally, a link to show you DIY ATF change.

What Oil Should You Use? A Reference Guide.
    Could you be using the wrong oil filter? Look here.
    Passat ATF & Filter Replacement

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information