how to replace driver's seat belt latch
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    JMO
    Neutral

how to replace driver's seat belt latch

OK i have spent the last 1 1/2 hour searching this site and the net.

my 2001.5 passat driver's seat belt latch will not work. i read a multitude of posts about how the charge can explode (on the retracting side which mine is OK) and how one guy soldered fittings on the end of the sensors because the years/models didn't match , etc.........

the latch (part that is on your right when you are the driver) will not receive the male end.

IF i can find a comparable year model car in the local wreck yard is there a problem?

do i just disconnect my battery, remove the seat, use a torx to remove the bolt holding the latch to the frame (do i have to go under the car and hold a locknut?) , then install in reverse order

will the computer have to be reset........is the charge going to go off if the year model is different?

thanks

John
    jmo572000@yahoo.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Forum Sponsor
    I have not swapped out the seatbelt latch on a B5 / B5.5, but I have on a few Mk4's and never ran into an issue. I disconnect the battery when working with airbags on any car, so that is a given. On the Mk4, the latch is bolted to the frame of the seat using a triple square, so I would expect something similar on the B5. You will probably need to remove / unbolt the seat from the car to have enough room to access the bolt for the latch. You should not need to reset the airbag light if the latch is the problem, if the new latch fixes the problem, it should clear the light as soon as it is installed. I believe the seatbelt latches are the same across the years, the color code is likely the only thing that would change, but you should also be able to compare part numbers just for reference.

4th Gear
    b5 passat seats are seemingly identical to A4 (mkiv) jetta/golf seats, so the above is correct. I know that there are changes over the years to the wiring and plugs for the latches in the golf and jetta, basically 3 wire early and 4 wire later. So you will need to check yours before getting a replacement. Ask me how i know lol.

JMO
    Neutral
    OK so i take today off and go to the wreckyard, counter guy says yes we have one, but the air bags have been deployed so you don't want it. he calls the guy off the yard to confer and the parts remover says the same thing. " if the airbags have been deployed and we sell you this one, you hook it up at home and plug in the seatbelt, the bags will go off because this car has been in a wreck"

i forgot to add in my first post........my latch is physically broken, no computer problem just jammed.

)is the wreckyard correct?

)where and how much for another latch?

6th Gear
    I'm guessing the yard is confused as to what you're asking about. The belt itself (including the male part of the latch) can't be re-used. If the airbags deploy, so does the explosive tensioner, and it's done. The female part of the latch (attached to the floor) it not affected by the belt going off.

I would, however, confirm that by calling VW dealer - personally, I leave messing with any part of the seat belts or airbags strictly alone.

The female end of the latch seems to sell (new) for about $180; it shows up on ECS Tuning and elsewhere.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information