Got the P0741 "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit" code on my "new" B5.5 TDI Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Got the P0741 "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit" code on my "new" B5.5 TDI Passat

I'm looking for advice and documentation to bring to my dealer to avoid a bigger problem.

I've seen Audi factory service bulletins on the forums for this apparently common problem, but is there any documentation specific to the B5.5 Passat about Tiptronic torque converter diagnoses? I want to make sure the folks who try to fix my "new" car are informed of the likely issues and pitfalls of misdiagnoses.

Here's the story:

I'm in Northwest Connecticut and I just bought a 2005 TDI GLS Passat Sedan from a small independent used car dealer. I love the car, but the 2nd day I had it the MIL went on. Autozone scanned for free and got the P0741 - 'Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off' code.

My dealer seems completely willing to deal with the situation -- I need to drop the car off with them tomorrow so their mechanic can look at it. I'm hoping they use a reputable shop because, from everything I've read here, it seems that if it's the torque converter and I don't get it fixed right away I could be damaging all kinds of things inside the Tiptronic (reverse clutch, etc.).

Should I make them take it to the local VW dealer? Is there some TSB I should give to them to show their mechanic? The dealer has experience with German cars, and the guys there seem to know their stuff, but I'm still a little nervous.

Please help me make a smart decision here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    They should be able to replace the TC without an issue. If left too long, it can cause the trans to overheat. I changed mine out about 21 months ago and it seems to be holding ok so far.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    They should be able to replace the TC without an issue. If left too long, it can cause the trans to overheat.
    Thanks for the input. So if I put another 60 miles on it to get it to the dealer you think I shouldn't worry about doing more damage?

The light came on about 100 miles ago and I've driven the car very gently since then (just enough to get it home, and it's been parked since).

Is everyone pretty sure that P0741 reliably means the TC needs replacing, or could it also just be a solenoid or something else?

PZ
    Redline
    Should not be an issue driving it to the dealer. Mine took about 8 months from the 1st symptoms until I pulled the trans and replaced the TC.

The TC should be the only issue. It's a common problem on the W8, V8 and V6 VW/Audi cars. This is one of the 1st TDIs I have seen with the issue.

Neutral
    Thanks again, PZ.

I just dropped my Passat off and was all ready to explain what the issues might be when the dealer said, "oh yeah, we'll replace the TC; it's the seal inside that goes." He then pointed at an A6 on his lot and said, "It also happens on the 3-liters." It put me at ease that he was familiar with the issue. Hopefully everything works out well.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information