Whats that sound? Clicking like the turn signal randomly?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Whats that sound? Clicking like the turn signal randomly?

A few months back my 04 vw passat gls 1.8t 5.5b started making a clicking sound like i was turning. Just randomly clicks. Think its my relay or hazard button, or the turn signal switch? It dosen't flash the turn signal when it clicks. I'll have to make a video and upload it to youtube. please help very annoying.

oh and just recently my right front passenger speaker and tweeter keeps cracking and making my kenwood deck go into protect mode. so i cut the speaker wire behind the deck and still sound of crackling...now WTF! So i disconnect the both the speaker and tweeter...turns on fine. But the speaker wasnt blown from the looks.

So u think its the pre amp in the back trunk messed up or the voice coil in the speaker and tweeter burnt out?

PLease help!

--------------------------------------
    Just notice that when ever I turn my stearing wheel it starts clicking more but it doesn't do it all the time. hope that can help.
    Last edited by psycho_pyro86; 03-07-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: New info

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    The signal relay clicking seems to be a very common VW issue. If you do a search you will find many similar stories. Seems to be tied to a worn signal switch. Two approaches possible; 1) spraying inside the switch with electrical cleaner may provide some short time relief or 2) take the steering wheel off and replace the switch (about $150 in my case because I have the multi-function steering wheel). Welcome to the club...

3rd Gear
    10-4 on what Harold says. Quite common. Replacing relay switch typically does not correct the random, annoying clicking. I've been that route.

Remove airbag, steering wheel and switch stalk assembly then either clean the switch assembly real well with electrical component cleaner or replace with new switch stalk. My switch cost around $65 a few years ago since I do not have a multi-tasking steering wheel.

The procedure may sound intimidating if you have never R/R a switch stalk. But there are posts here on PW and other Audi related websites that walk you through the procedure. And once you do it the first time it is cake each time thereafter.

1st Gear
    I had this same issue. I've had success in simply cleaning the switch using the Radio Shack contact cleaner (without the lubricant). So far, that's worked well for the past four months. If the problem recurrs, I'll squirt it with some more cleaner as I'm reluctant to deal with the airbag. If at some point the cleaner is no longer effective, I'll take it to the shop and have *them* mess with the airbag.

Neutral
    thanks alot!!! its confirmed that the cleaner from autozone works like a charm! just sprayed the hell out of it and wiggled up and down and waited for around about 45mins and no clicking! Turn signal must of just been dirty.

Neutral

Same problem

So do i have to remove anything to spray the contact points or do I just squirt the stuff down the switch stalk? I'd really like the annoying sound to stop and my wife does too

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by B5passat1.8t View Post
    So do i have to remove anything to spray the contact points or do I just squirt the stuff down the switch stalk? I'd really like the annoying sound to stop and my wife does too
    don't be afraid to use a lot. spray down the stalk and move the stalk around while spraying into and around the stalk. let it sit for about 30 mins. (idk if you have to wait but i did it for extra pro-cation) but i would go with the contact cleaner before wd-40...tried wd-40 and it didnt work. Hoped it helped

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information