Need help with door lock cylinder repair
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Need help with door lock cylinder repair

I had the unfortunate luck unlocking my drivers door. After the door unlocked, I pulled out the key and the entire cylinder came with the key. I also heard several parts fall inside to the bottom of the door. I have since fished all the parts out but cannot figure how to put it back together. Found a lock repair kit on Ebay, but it doesn't come with directions. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Have a looksy in here.

http://passatb5.wikidot.com/door-loc...el-lock-jammed

This link will show you the insides of the door, but you shouldnt need to take it apart to reinsert the lock cylinder.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...lockmechanism/

Neutral
    Awesome link. This is exactly what I needed to get my lock back together. I will also order the repair from ebay just in case one of my pieces have broken parts as well. Thank you so much fro your help!

1st Gear

Neutral
    Ok, just got my lock cylinder repair kit. Sure enough, I had a broken part. I am trying to put it back together using the instructions in the link above. Not sure where the end of the spring needs to hook as I slide the paddle down onto the cylinder. The picture in the link above shows the spring in place before lowering the paddle. Any ideas?

Neutral
    Got it! It took some work to assemble, while at the same time getting the end of the spring into position before sliding the C clip in. Wow, quite the dexterity test!

Neutral

Cylinder lock removal and nice video link to cylinder lock repair

Remove the black plastic cover cap on the side of the door this will expose a screw which retains your door lock; the handle will stay in place and work as normal.

This will expose a screw which you need to remove to allow removal of the door barrel turn the screw using a T20 screw head until it becomes stiff and stop. Do not force the screw or the retaining clip will drop into the door behind the trim causing you problems later.

You now need to remove the barrel from the vehicle. You can do this by wiggling and pulling the lock towards you. You will need to hold the handle open to help you do this. It is best to keep it open with something suitable while you work on the screw and taking out the lock.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4C21OEAcgU]VW Passat Door Lock Repair (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGTEJJRYh8&NR=1]VW Passat Door Lock Repair (Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Once you remove the barrel look through the hole where the lock has been removed from and remove any foreign parts which may of become stuck in the locking mechanism. Sometimes, this will not be obvious and the damaged parts may be contained in the lock itself - any tell tale dust will show that there has been some failure or other.

These will look similar to the parts that are in the repair kit . I have listed these below.

Spring, Paddle, Clip, Castle

It is possible that some parts have fallen into the bottom of the door. It is your decision if you wish to retrieve them. You will not require them for the repair and if you can handle the occasional rattle they will settle in fine in there new home.

You will now need a flat surface to work on as its time to rebuild the barrel

If there is a failure of one or more parts then you will need to take the lock apart in order to rebuild it - cleaning and greasing (WD40) as you go. To take the lock apart you must first insert the key and keep it in place to keep the tumblers in place. With the key in place you can push down on the paddle (compressing the spring) which will allow the clip to be removed. Be careful at this point as the spring can jump out unless you control the slow release of the paddle. As you release the paddle you will also get the circular cover to come away as well as the spring (although the spring may stay screwed in to the mounting). This will expose the Castle piece in the barrel (see picture below). You may need to push the main barrel (using the key) to push the old castle piece out.

Having removed the broken parts and cleaned what is left, you can now begin the rebuild.

The 1st part to attach is the two prong castle make sure the barrel is in the correct position within the metal housing.

You can practice the rebuild by missing out the next spring step just so that you can see where each part goes.

There is a danger that the spring will flick out causing damage to yourself or others. It is advised that you wear protective goggles.

The spring is the next part you will need which sits on top of the castle as shown in the picture. You will need to turn the spring clockwise until it stops turning. This will mean that the protruding end of the spring bottom will be up against the castle piece.

Next you will need to push the paddle on top of the spring and push down half way then using a small flat blade screwdriver you need to rotate the spring clockwise over the tab on the castle.

Remember to hold the paddle down as the tension on the spring will be relatively strong. This is why a practice without the spring will help.

The arrow pointing left indicates the tab

You can now drop the original ring over the top of the paddle, there is a V-shaped groove in the housing of the handle make sure the ring locates into the groove do not let go of the paddle or it will spring off.

Finally Slide the locking clip on - it only goes on one way as shown below. This will allow you to release the tension on the paddle and the spring will release making the lock complete.

By turning the key in the lock you will see if the paddle turns correctly and smoothly before refitting. The paddle should be left in the horizontal position so that it can be reinserted to the door locking mechanism.

You can now replace the lock by ensuring that the handle is open and slowly pushing the lock back in to the hole using the still inserted key.

Before replacing the screw that retains the handle test that the door opens and closes and that the door locks and unlocks, if so the last step is to fit retaining screw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG - AVG - Antivirus and Internet Security | Virus Protection
    Version: 8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2681 - Release Date: 02/11/10 07:35:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG - AVG - Antivirus and Internet Security | Virus Protection
    Version: 8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2681 - Release Date: 02/11/10 07:35:00

7 Attached files|396KB
    Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpg!cid_000601c9945f$082ef970$c3351f52@youre6f 02835ae.jpg!cid_000701c9945f$082ef970$c3351f52@you re6f02835ae.jpg!cid_000801c9945f$082ef970$c3351f52 @youre6f02835ae.jpg!cid_000901c9945f$082ef970$c335 1f52@youre6f02835ae.jpg!cid_000a01c9945f$082ef970$ c3351f52@youre6f02835ae.jpgView SlideshowDownload AllReply to:
    Reply to Eurolockz
    Reply to Eurolockz Send

Neutral
    A couple of things I learned when I did this procedure:
    1. The video from the British(?) gentleman is informative, but could use a correction, and an addition. You do not need to keep the key in the lock to work on it, in fact it just makes it more difficult. The process is much easier if you have a small vise to hold the mounting part. Don't tighten the vise too much, just snug, to keep from crushing/breaking the mounting plate, and build up something under the plate because you will be pushing down pretty hard and it will slip since the vise is just snug.
    2. If you remove the door handle you need to position the spring loaded, two prong arm inside the door to reinstall it properly. Reach through the hole where the lock will go and pull the two prong arm toward you. Now insert the back of the handle first, then the two prong arm on the front of the handle needs to go through the srping loaded two prong arm inside the door. Be careful, because the collar that holds the lock in place will contact the spring loaded two prong arm and may cause it to come out of the channel where it is installed and drop down inside the door--now you have to take the door apart--that is what happened to me--much longer job but I was able to see all the parts, including the piece that holds the spring loaded arm and the lock collar. You can carefully reach in and pull the collar towards you before putting in the lock cylinder to help keep the coller in its channel.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information