MAF Cleaning 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

MAF Cleaning 1.8T

I have been searching around and i cant find a DIY for cleaning the MAF on a 1.8. I bought a can of electrical parts cleaner from advance auto parts. Can someone explain step by step how to clean the MAF on the 1.8.

I also heard of people putting the MAF in a plastic bag. Do i fill up the whole bag with electrical parts cleaner or should i water it down?

Also is it better to use electrical parts cleaner, alcohol, or MAF cleaner?

UPDATE!!!

MAF torx screws are stripped... i dont know how they got like that but do you guys have any idea how i can get them out so i can clean the MAF?????
    Last edited by 1.8forthetake; 01-07-2011 at 06:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

EGB
    Neutral

MAF Cleaning 1.8T

I'm with you pal. Just attempted to take off the airbox cover and got as far as taking off the heat shield and the clips. HOW THE HELL DOES ONE TAKE OFF THE COVER TO CLEAN THE MAF Sensor? I'm not sure how to loosen all those clamps with the tabs on them to clear away the jumble of wires on top.

Neutral
    I had problems with mine to but I opted out of cleaning it and I just replaced my MAF sensor here's how I did it
    1.take off the airbox cover and air intlet tube from grille
    2. unscrew heatshield
    3.unclamp turbo inlet tube and other hose on airbox
    4.pull wires off the top of the airbox lid
    5. unclip lid
    6.disconnest the one hose (looks like it has an inline filter on it)
    7. then I just slowly worked the lid to the point where I could flip it over
    8. Then you un screw the 2 screws on the underside of the lid to pull off the velocity stack which willl let you get to the sensor's plug
    9. unplug the sensor
    10. remove the rubber o ring that is inbetween the sensor and the airbox lid
    11. the do it all in reverse and make sure the rubber o ring is seated right or you will have unfiltered air going into your engine
    It isn't easy to do but it only took me like 45 min to an hour

1st Gear
    On #4 above:
    Be careful not to pull on wires going into the lid!! These are connected to your MAF!

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.8forthetake View Post
    I also heard of people putting the MAF in a plastic bag. Do i fill up the whole bag with electrical parts cleaner or should i water it down?

Also is it better to use electrical parts cleaner, alcohol, or MAF cleaner?
    I've cleaned mine a couple of times (once for each car) not because I was having problems, but as general maintenance. I followed most of trickedout55 list, but didn't actually remove the sensor from the lid. I sprayed from both sides with aerosol MAF cleaner (CRC brand), let it air out, and re-assembled.

I wouldn't use "electrical parts cleaner" cleaner; I have no idea what's in there. isopropyl alcohol should be fine, but 100% is hard to find. Safest to just use something labeled for this use. Oh, and don't "water down" anything with anything - especially water.

2nd Gear
    I see you've got a 99 B5. I'm not sure as to the differences between the B5 1.8T and the B5.5 1.8T, but I had the same issue for my 02 B5.5 last summer, so I just dug in there, wrote up the procedure here.

Hope this helps, if not hope it helps someone with a B5.5.

Neutral
    wow....the torx screws are striped on the MAF...any ideas of how i can get them out?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I wouldn't use "electrical parts cleaner" cleaner; I have no idea what's in there. isopropyl alcohol should be fine, but 100% is hard to find. Safest to just use something labeled for this use.
    X2 ^

Some electrical parts cleaning sprays include a light oil (the type used to lubricate potentiometers). Use MAF cleaning spray. You don't want to save $10 by not buying the proper cleaning product only to trash a $100 sensor.

EGB
    Neutral

MAF Cleaning 1.8T

What is the trick to removing the non-adjustable hose clamps? You know the ones that are on all the hoses except for the large one going into the front of the airbox? What tool is best?Is there a method to loosening these? I don't see any other way of getting the cover off except to disconnect some of these hoses. I have CRC MAF spray but have no access to the MAF. I can loosen the cover just enough to replace the filter but unless I can disconnect some of the hoses I won't be able to spray the MAF sensor clean.

Those are one-time-use clamps. They need to be destroyed to be removed. I try to get a small flat blade screw driver under the end of the band and pry it up. You can also clip them off with a good sized cutter. Be careful not to damage the hose or the fittings. Replace with appropriately sized screw type hose clamps.

Overdrive
    Those are Oetiker one-use "ear" clamps. There's a dedicated tool to install or remove them, but most people cut them off with tin snips or a cutoff wheel in a Dremel. Then they replace them with regular screw clamps. Personally, I bought an Oetiker starter kit (tool and clamp assortment) so I could keep the car completely stock. They certainly hold well...

Neutral
    Do you half to take the maf out completely to clean it because my torx screws are stripped Can i just spray the cleaner on the maf...im still not sure what to do because theres a chip in the maf and i wanted to know if its okay to spary maf cleaner on it?

3rd Gear
    Clean in place or attempt to remove srews with pliers.

That is not a chip inside, it is a heater, the piece to clean. This is a thermal mass meter. In simple terms, air flow is measured by the cooliing effect it has on the heater.

If you're careful, you can cut a slot in the screw head (hack saw or dremel) and extract the screw with a flat blade screw driver.

1st Gear
    Vise grips FTW on the torx bits.

1st Gear
    Or for $3 you can buy a set of security torx bits.

33 Piece Security Bit Set

Quote Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
    Or for $3 you can buy a set of security torx bits.

33 Piece Security Bit Set
    That's probably the smartest way to go, but that kit doesn't have the bit you'd need. It's a 5 pointed screw head with a post in the center.

Neutral
    I didn't have a set of those security bits, but I did have a handy visegrip which worked perfectly grabbing the edge of the screws.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information