Need help with CCM Wiring-Red/Blk
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Need help with CCM Wiring-Red/Blk

Hey guys - I dug into my CCM wiring again last weekend since I had lost my electric locks from actually moving the door locks and the gas release door was out. (This time I'm going to really fix the water leaks.)

I've replaced some of the harness splices before with soldered connections. Some of these were corroded and broken again. This time I'm going with waterproof butt connectors.

I'm stuck trying to get this thing back together. The thin Red/Blk wires are giving me fits. Here are the details:

7 Thin Red/Blk Wires - 2 coming from front electrical harness/relays, 1 from the CCM, and 4 from the rear of the car. I thought I had all 7 of these joined together before I took it apart, but it isn't working.
    - When connecting the 2 front wires you can start the car. I think they tie into the brake switch.
    - When I connect both or one of the 2 front wires to the CCM wire, the CCM will buzz rapidly. Not the truly clicking sound, more of a buzz. Occasionally it will lock the doors if I leave it on for a while.
    - Connecting the rear 4 wires makes no difference.

Testing - I've checked all of the fuses in the main panel and under the dash by the relay. I've looked over all the wires like crazy, I think I've found all the corroded places. I had to fix the Red/Bwn, Blk/Blue, Red/Blue, and Blue/Grey also. i've opened the CCM box and all connections on the board and with wires look good. No signs of corrosion, blown caps, etc.

Car Behavior - Without the Red/Blk wires connected I'm missing remote locking and interior lights. When I connect the 2 Red/Blk coming from the front, the remote works for unlocking, but not locking. The power locks switch on the door works either way. Interior lights do not work at all.
    Before I took this apart, my remote locking and interior lights worked, so I've either messed up some wiring, the CCM, or something else it up.

My next step is to undo all the connections and start over with Red/Blk, but I hate to go there...

Do all 7 Red/Blk wires join together?

Is there another connection/splice that might affect power locks/interior light behavior? I thought Blue/Grey was interior lights, but I think Blk/Red delivers 12V.

Do I have a bad CCM?

What else can I test or try?

Anybody who wants pictures of CCM or under the dash, I've got it all open right now.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    The closest wiring diagram I have is for the year 2000, but it should be the same or at least similar. It shows a single red/black wire running from the fuse panel to the CCM connector T15, pin 15, and a second one from T23, pin 18 that splits out to feed the interior lights.

Check the inside of the CCM for rust and corrosion, as well as in the connectors that feed it. Also, be sure to check the fuses associated with the CCM. Fuses 14, 5, 38, 111, and 144 all tie into the systems associated with the CCM.

I'll see if I can find a diagram for a '99 when I have a chance to get back on my computer at home.

Neutral
    I have a '99 wiring diagram I can post tonight when I get home. I've looked them over but it wasn't fully helpful.

If anybody has an idea what might cause the CCM to buzz when the wires are connected, that would be super helpful. I'm not sure if it could be a short or a bad ground, or if it could tie back to another set of wires. I'm leaning more and more towards undoing all the connections.

I've visually checked all the fuses you mentioned. I have not tested any relays. I'm not sure how to do that with a multimeter.

4th Gear
    Does either of the leads coming from the front have voltage on it when the car's on?

Neutral
    I think I've figured it out...

Did some checking on voltages tonight and found readings of 5.5V and 8V. Discovered my grounding peg/connector for the CCM was not grounding properly. I thought I cleaned all the corrosion off, but apparently still not a good connection.

Bob - With the key off one of the two wires coming from the front of the car was reading 5.5V, which I think should be ~11-12V and should connect up to the 4 RED/BLK wires which lead to the back of the car. The thin RED/BLK coming from the CCM was reading 8V, which should probably also be ~11-12V. I think it should connect up with the other wire coming from the front harness.

So it looks like a grounding and wiring setup issue. The CCM buzzing/grinding happened when I connected both active wires (front and CCM) to the non-active but positive wire from the front.

Didn't have time to fix it all tonight but good diagnosis. Sent my ABS module out today so I've got a few days to get the wiring fixed. Bought LED strips to replace the puny trunk light and to do lighted front footwells. Tomorrow I'm raiding the junkyard for other parts. Someday when I get my car back on the road it will be nice.

Thanks Bob

4th Gear
    Yeah, that stuff can be uber frustrating! It seemed like there were 2 separate circuits that you were mixing together based on the diagram I have... Anyway, keep us updated.

1st Gear

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    The closest wiring diagram I have is for the year 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I have a '99 wiring diagram I can post tonight when I get home.
    I have a 2000 Passat.
    Please post the above wiring diagram !

I also have trouble with my CCM-box.

Neutral
    Use this link, middle of page. Has 1998-2000 in english. I'd send you the file but its over the 1MB limit for this forum.

Volkswagen Technical Site (VWTS) -

1st Gear

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I'd send you the file but its over the 1MB limit for this forum.
    You have got PM !

Neutral
    I am sorry to reopen this thread, however, I also have the same issue. After researching this forum, I have two conflicting answers and not sure what the proper connections are. So far I have:

1) Red/Black wires, 6 of them, all connected together works HERE Posted by bigreddog

2) Red/Black wires, four from the back connected to red/black from ccm and then connected to one of the red/black wires coming from the front. One red/black wire left unconnected. Posted HERE by Arsen77

3) 4 red/back wires from the back connected to one of the red/black wires from the front. The other red/black wire from the front connected to ccm red/black wire. Posted by crawdaddy above.

Can someone please chime in to resolve this? As these cars get older, I am sure a lot more people will start experiencing corroded harness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information