HELP! Immobilizer on- where do I find Code OR 7-digit PIN/SKC??
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

HELP! Immobilizer on- where do I find Code OR 7-digit PIN/SKC??

Greetings- Wife mistakedly grabbed the JUNK key that hsmauberly sold me (and refused to refund) and tried to start her 2002 Passat V6 Tiptronic wagon. Immobilizer is on and won't go off, even with the CORRECT fuctional key inserted. Pulled out the trusty VAGCOM and it is asking me for a code (0-65535) or 7-digit PIN/SKC. Where do I find either of these numbers and if they can't be found, how else can I get out of this mess? Thanks again for your help!! Regards, Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Lol.... You dont. Plain and simple. Unless you have the plastic tag on the key from when teh car was factory new before the date they stopped including the code, you do NOT have it. Vw did this in a move to lock people out of speedometer odometer data forging. A legit good reason.

1st Gear

Nevermind! Not sure exactly what I did but....

I kept the ignition key ON for 15 minutes or so, went to try it again, dead/WEAK battery- wouldn't turn over (Got to get a EuroSwitch!). Pulled the battery out of my Passat, as jumper cables wouldn't reach with my car parked behind hers. Jumpered from my battery to her battery and VOILA!!, the car started. However, for future reference, where would I find those codes that I was asking about?? Thanks again, regards, Paul

Blog Entries
    Right where i said. The car oe in 02 and back came with a small plastic tag. Ill take a pic of mine when i get back to my apartment here in a couple hours to show you.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    However, for future reference, where would I find those codes that I was asking about?? Thanks again, regards, Paul
    Why do people chose to ignore what they don't want to hear? Or is it that you didn't want to bother reading the reply to your question?

You do not have your car's SKC unless you have the original black plastic tag. You cannot get your car's SKC from VW, they can't and won't retrieve it for you. If you must have it, you will need to buy the equipment to retrieve it.

edit: sorry for being so blunt. And why doesn't the key work? I'm guessing you never programmed it to the immobilizer, which really isn't the seller's fault.

Blog Entries

this is what it looks like. has the last 7 of your vin on one side and the 7 skc numbers on the other. i had absolutely no idea what this was at first... in fact, i've had the car since august of 04' and am the second owner after the park place audi in dallas sold it to us used with 78 on the clock. it wasn't until maybe last febuary i finally put 2 and 2 together and it just clicked. the thought basically went something like "huh...oh...OH!! HOLY SHIT AWESOME!"

you really have no idea how amazingly fortunate i am to have this tag on a used car.
    it literally amazes me every time i see it.

Overdrive
    'zat what that is. Got one with my 2000, figured it was just for ordering keys.

Blog Entries
    nope. that's your SKC, scott.

don't you love those moments when you realize something you thought was insignificant is actually very important?

i'm guessing it's going to be stored very differently now

1st Gear
    You can recover the code using software (apart from VCDS/VagCom) for example VAG Commander. It sounds like the OP problem was a flat battery. The incorrect key wouldn't cause this problem.
    Last edited by snapdragon69; 07-21-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    nope. that's your SKC, scott.

don't you love those moments when you realize something you thought was insignificant is actually very important?

i'm guessing it's going to be stored very differently now
    Oh, no - it's staying right on the refrigerator, stuck to a magnet, where I can keep track of it. Every time I put something important in a "safe place" I never see it again.

1st Gear
    I have that little plastic tag too- but guess what? The # on that side that is SUPPOSED to be the skc/pin for the cluster is not. I've read the SKC with Vagtacho and it is a different number.
    The one side does have the correct Vin# 's, but SKC is wrong..maybe the cluster was replaced.
    BUT! I did have the elusive legendary and mythical SAFE code for the radio on a sticker next to the spare tire!!! I heard rumors of that stickers existence, but I didn't believe until i saw with my own eyes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroboy View Post
    I have that little plastic tag too- but guess what? The # on that side that is SUPPOSED to be the skc/pin for the cluster is not. I've read the SKC with Vagtacho and it is a different number.
    The one side does have the correct Vin# 's, but SKC is wrong..maybe the cluster was replaced.
    Not likely the reason. After adapting a new/used cluster to your car, it should take on your original SKC.

Or at least mine did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Oh, no - it's staying right on the refrigerator, stuck to a magnet, where I can keep track of it. Every time I put something important in a "safe place" I never see it again.

it's so safe, it's safe from you, eh?

1st Gear

Amazing Dave- explanation!

No I'm not an idiot. sipes216 replied to my initial question at 12:15 pm.You will also notice that the "time stamp" on my second post is 12:22 pm. I started typing my second post (I'm a terribly slow typist) and then posted before I even saw sipes216 post. Understand??? And to answer your second question, I took that JUNK key that I bought from hsmauberly to the VW dealer WITH my wife's car so that they could program it. The key/FOB is defective, it will not program. I have the receipt from Fiore Volkswagon stating this. I politely asked hsmauberly for a refund and he outright refused and I'm out $50.00. To add insult to injury, when I first received the FOB from hsmauberly, it arrived with the "key ring" part broken off, so it couldn't be hung on a proper key ring. I asked him for a refund at this time as well and he refused. I contacted the "Moderators" about this situation, and never heard anything more about it. Are any further clarifications needed?hsmauberly sold me a junk fob and then refused to refund the $50.00 that I had paid him for it. Thanks for your understanding, regards, Paul

Overdrive
    Unless you have the plastic tag on the key from when teh car was factory new before the date they stopped including the code, you do NOT have it.
    Sipes, idle curiosity if you know: When did VW stop providing the code tags? My late-production 2004 didn't come with one.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    Not likely the reason. After adapting a new/used cluster to your car, it should take on your original SKC.

Or at least mine did.
    Oh yeah-- amazing I forgot that after just installing a W8 cluster last weekend. it's 7 digits too...It must be the WSC/SKC combo?
    I've always just read the SKC with Vagtacho.. never dealt with the 7 digits, just 0+ skc.
    As far was when they stopped? Our 04' has it, it's a regular old not-late one though. it was probably somewhere with the car during delivery..Maybe the dealer just didn't give it to you ..?
    Come to think of it, I know several peopl who bought Vw's new that should have but didn't get the black tag..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    No I'm not an idiot. sipes216 replied to my initial question at 12:15 pm.You will also notice that the "time stamp" on my second post is 12:22 pm. I started typing my second post (I'm a terribly slow typist) and then posted before I even saw sipes216 post. Understand??? And to answer your second question, I took that JUNK key that I bought from hsmauberly to the VW dealer WITH my wife's car so that they could program it. The key/FOB is defective, it will not program. I have the receipt from Fiore Volkswagon stating this. I politely asked hsmauberly for a refund and he outright refused and I'm out $50.00. To add insult to injury, when I first received the FOB from hsmauberly, it arrived with the "key ring" part broken off, so it couldn't be hung on a proper key ring. I asked him for a refund at this time as well and he refused. I contacted the "Moderators" about this situation, and never heard anything more about it. Are any further clarifications needed?hsmauberly sold me a junk fob and then refused to refund the $50.00 that I had paid him for it. Thanks for your understanding, regards, Paul
    Wow, and I thought I had a short fuse.

First, I never called you, or implied that you are, an idiot so take a and sit back.

Next, sorry that you're a slow typist, but you at least still would have seen the answer after you posted again since, you know, the thread refreshes after you post.

Third, it's VolkswagEn.

Seriously though, sorry if my post came off too strong. Reading it back, it was a bit harsh.

edit: A lot of cars didn't come with the black tag. I used a program called Vag Tacho that can be sourced from eBay relatively cheaply to retrieve my SKC. This setup allows you to read and alter the cluster's stored hardware coding, and you can read SKCs, change mileage, and do all sorts of stuff. It's my understanding that version 2.2 is the most reliable.
    Last edited by TheAmazingDave; 07-21-2010 at 10:51 AM.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    Sipes, idle curiosity if you know: When did VW stop providing the code tags? My late-production 2004 didn't come with one.
    My 2004 came with one: it was a December 2003 build delivered during the first week of March 2004.

There's a small bit of history at the Ross-Tech site (bottom of the page at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.html), but I can't say I know what the WIN2 program entailed.

PZ
    Redline
    So now that we have your info, we can go buy a key from VW, have it cut, programmed and steal your car!

this is what it looks like. has the last 7 of your vin on one side and the 7 skc numbers on the other. i had absolutely no idea what this was at first... in fact, i've had the car since august of 04' and am the second owner after the park place audi in dallas sold it to us used with 78 on the clock. it wasn't until maybe last febuary i finally put 2 and 2 together and it just clicked. the thought basically went something like "huh...oh...OH!! HOLY SHIT AWESOME!"

you really have no idea how amazingly fortunate i am to have this tag on a used car.
    it literally amazes me every time i see it.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information