Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction code: P0340 "Please Help!"
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction code: P0340 "Please Help!"

I have a 2003 Passat with a 1.8 and I'm getting code: P0340 cam position sensor circuit malfunction, I’m also getting code: P0302 cylinder #2 misfire, as in no spark on the # 2 cylinder at all, ever.

I swaped the cam position sensor with one from another Passat and there was no impovement.

Can the cam position reluctor ring be installed incorectly? Could this cause the misfire?

How do you trouble shoot the cam position sensor wiring? The fuel pump relay? the engine speed sensor?

Are the coils fused independently or all on one fuse? Where are the coil fuses located?

Oh by the way, the coils and plugs are all new and yes the timing is right on.

Because we all know these cars are fix a day drive a day, some of you guys must have had a similar problem?
    Last edited by mrtiger; 07-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    If you can find both ends of the cam position sensor's wiring harness, you can ohm it out for continuity along the length of each wire and an absence of cross-coupling between the wires. Closely inspect the wires where they enter the end plugs, and look for burned or melted insulation anywhere along the way. It's also worth inspecting the coilpack wiring harness -- perhaps the wire connector is not securely plugged in.

5th Gear
    replace the sensor and call it a day

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by corradog60stage4 View Post
    replace the sensor and call it a day
    That was my first reaction, because these things do go bad*, but he claims to have tried swapping in a known good sensor.

______
    Tangentially relevant: The crankshaft position sensor on my son's Audi 2.7t went bad, causing the engine to shut down after it warmed up. With no mechanical distributor, these engines rely heavily on the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors.

Neutral
    I recently installed a new engine in my '04 and I got the same code. It turned out that I had placed the knock sensor in the wrong spot. Moved it where it should be and now no code.

Neutral
    Mine pulled the same code after replacing my heads. Check the connections to ensure all are seated all the way.

PZ
    Redline
    I have seen the cam sensor ring installed 180 out on a rebuilt head. PITA to figure out what was wrong. It has a lock tab that should fit into the cam. It is easy enough to check on a 1.8T.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
    I recently installed a new engine in my '04 and I got the same code. It turned out that I had placed the knock sensor in the wrong spot. Moved it where it should be and now no code.
    checked the knock sensors, all ok.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by jfellenstein View Post
    Mine pulled the same code after replacing my heads. Check the connections to ensure all are seated all the way.
    I've checked every conection over and over for continuity with a VOM, powered continuity light and a test light where applicable. I've tested for cross continuity "damaged and contacting wires" all apears good.

On the coil conector
    Pin 1 is 12v power
    Pin 2 is ground
    Pin 3 is signal from ECM
    Pin 4 is ground

On the #2 cylinder coil conector pin 3 has about 3 volts present while pin 3 on the other coil comectors has no voltage present. And yes I have checked those circuts extensivly for with an Ohm meter between the coil conector and the ECM conector, all is good with no cross continuity.

Any ideas???

1st Gear
    I recently got code P0340 too. I had my mechanic clear it up to see if it returns. If it does, how big of a job is it to replace the camshaft sensor? What needs to come out other than the timing belt cover to access the sensor and how long does it typically take to do the job?

Thanks in advance for any info.

PZ
    Redline
    It take longer to remove the intake snorkel and timing belt cover than it does to replace the cam sensor on the 1.8T. Unclip the plug, and remove 2 bolts.

Neutral
    Did this code pop up after a recent timing belt job? I had that problem after i did my timing belt and placed the cam chain off by a tooth.

1st Gear
    I didn't have a timing belt job done recently. The code hasn't been back yet after something like 1500-2000 miles. Could something like this be due to bad gas? I think it showed up as "intermittent." I am looking at the paper with the codes on it, and the mechanic actually wrote down P0343, not p0340. I am considering having my timing belt changed soon and I am wondering whether I should have the camshaft sensor changed even if the code doesn't return.

I also had "dealer codes" 16727, 16396, and 16706, but I have no idea what those mean. But I just found this great post about codes. Looking at these codes, I am wondering whether I have some other ignition problem. When I turn the key to start the engine, sometimes it seems like it pauses for half a second or so, before finally starting turning. I am starting to suspect it is something close to the beginning of the ignition chain. Any thoughts on this?

1st Gear
    Hmmmm, I just remembered the AWM engines don't have ICMs, so perhaps a bad coil pack???

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information