ABS Light and Brake Light
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

ABS Light and Brake Light

I have a 1999 VW Passat with 163,000 miles on it. As of like 2 years ago, the ABS and Brake light would come on and then shut off. Then after a few months of that it just stayed on all the time. Occasionally it will shut off and the ABS works fine for a few minutes then the lights come back on. I had my car scanned by 2 different shops about a year ago and nothing came up on the machine. In my original post from awhile back people said it probably my rear rotors being really rusty, so I replaced all 4 along with pads this weekend. All the rotors were still the original ones! So now we have all new rotors and pads on it and the lights are still on. I took my car over to my uncles shop and he now scanned it with this new genesis machine and all that came up was a code 00532. I think he said its something to do wit the airbags? After messing around with the genisis for awhile he came up with a message that said to check the #10 pin on the ABS module to check the current. Has anyone had these issues or have any advice? I live in Wisconsin and have driven 2 winters without the ABS so I don't really car, the light is just annoying the hell out of me. HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    It is common for the ABS module in these cars to fail. I new ABS module should cure your problems, but it won't be cheap. Look at spending $100-$150 for the module alone, or ~$300 if you get the pump/module. You will also need to take the time to match up the part numbers because they vary depending on years and models.

3rd Gear
    I believe you have very common ABS module failure. You can't scan the code for ABS module failure unless you have a VAG-Com. Most people just take the module out and send it for refurbish. Here is a recent thread which may help you:

Post here if you have or have had the abs computer failure

Neutral
    Why is it that the abs works sometimes then?? How hard of a fix is it if I order a replacement?

Neutral
    Why is it that the abs works sometimes then?? How hard of a fix is it if I order a replacement? I looked on the thread above, 27 pages! That's a popular issue.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by hamdex View Post
    It is common for the ABS module in these cars to fail. I new ABS module should cure your problems, but it won't be cheap. Look at spending $100-$150 for the module alone, or ~$300 if you get the pump/module. You will also need to take the time to match up the part numbers because they vary depending on years and models.
    Quote Originally Posted by malibuboats91 View Post
    Why is it that the abs works sometimes then?? How hard of a fix is it if I order a replacement?
    The ABS module failure usually consists of tiny connecting wires inside that become loose or corroded. They make intermittent contact, but it gets worse over time. Note that the prices cited aren't for a new unit; a new electronic module is more like $700. He's probably talking used, or a rebuilt. A MUCH better idea is to have your existing module rebuilt; you can drive without it, and there's no issue getting the right one. Removing and replacing it is an easy-to-moderate DIY. A rebuild of your existing module averages $200. Some places less, a few more.

Neutral
    I found a guy on ebay that will rebuild it for $95. Here is the link. Let me know if it seems to be the right thing for me to do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ABS-m...Q5fAccessories

Overdrive
    I found a guy on ebay that will rebuild it for $95. Here is the link. Let me know if it seems to be the right thing for me to do.
    Personally, I'd prefer to use a well-known service like ModuleMaster, rather than an eBay seller. But I must admit I haven't heard many horror stories about bad rebuilds from anyone.

Neutral
    Okay thanks. I will pay for it to be sent in but im not totally sold that this is the issue.

4th Gear
    I have a 1999 VW Passat with 163,000 miles on it. As of like 2 years ago, the ABS and Brake light would come on and then shut off. Then after a few months of that it just stayed on all the time. Occasionally it will shut off and the ABS works fine for a few minutes then the lights come back on. I had my car scanned by 2 different shops about a year ago and nothing came up on the machine.
    Generic scanners will not determine ABS faults on VW's, only engine issues. A Factory tool or the VAGCOM/VCDS will be able to better determine what is happening. If there is no communications, then the module is bad.

Neutral
    Today I started it and turned on the A/C before taking the e-brake off and the abs light didnt come on for the first time in a long time. I drive 5 miles and it didnt come on. I reached my destination and it still didnt come on. Weird...

1st Gear
    Pull the inner fender remove the electrical box...pull the cover and check the solder connections with a magnifying glass..bet you have a bad connection, re solder

Neutral
    I have a 1999 VW Passat with 163,000 miles on it. As of like 2 years ago, the ABS and Brake light would come on and then shut off. Then after a few months of that it just stayed on all the time. Occasionally it will shut off and the ABS works fine for a few minutes then the lights come back on. I had my car scanned by 2 different shops about a year ago and nothing came up on the machine. In my original post from awhile back people said it probably my rear rotors being really rusty, so I replaced all 4 along with pads this weekend. All the rotors were still the original ones! So now we have all new rotors and pads on it and the lights are still on. I took my car over to my uncles shop and he now scanned it with this new genesis machine and all that came up was a code 00532. I think he said its something to do wit the airbags? After messing around with the genisis for awhile he came up with a message that said to check the #10 pin on the ABS module to check the current. Has anyone had these issues or have any advice? I live in Wisconsin and have driven 2 winters without the ABS so I don't really car, the light is just annoying the hell out of me. HELP PLEASE!!!
    ABS LIGHT PROBLEMS ARE ANNOYING! I've had loadsa problems with my passat and fixed most of them myself. follow this link it might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5FHVotKU4

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information