2001 Wagon GLS V6 -30V - BAD OIL LEAK!!!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2001 Wagon GLS V6 -30V - BAD OIL LEAK!!!!

I took it to the stealership to get the alternator and some vac. lines replaced all under an extended warranty. They informed me that both valve cover gaskets and right side cam adjuster gaskets are leaking. They quoted me $700 to get this fixed. By no means am I a mechanic or close to but I am trying to get this stuff done as cheap as possible so I am going to try to tackle this myself. I have done extensive research on here and I am wondering if the PCV suction pump might be the cause?? In reading some topics if I check the PCV suction pump I might as well replace it.

1. Is ECS tuning the place to get the suction pump or is a Local autozone/advance a better bet??

2. Is the gasket job to difficult to try??

3. Any special tools needed for the gasket job????

thanks everyone!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I just did the valve cover gasket myself as well as the PCV Valves and the Suction pump.

If i were you and i was not a mechanic, i'd ask the dealer to replace the suction pump and the pcv piping as well as the gaskets they've already recommended. To do your valve cover gasket you need a special tool that compresses the chain guide. It's not a super hard job but it's not easy either. The PCV valves should cost you about 80-90 bucks together and the suction pump should be about 40.

the costs for the valve cover gasket kit is below as well as the tool you'll need.

This is the kit i used

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002

this is the tool you need

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N1A1016

Sorry to the mods if i'm linking to a non-site supporter just making sure i help a fellow passatworld member out =)

PZ
    Redline
    If the warranty covers vacuum lines, why would it not cover the oil leaks?

4th Gear
    The suction pump or clogged lines could've caused the leaks, but just replacing them likely won't correct the leaks now that they're there. You'll need to order the pump online or get it from a dealer - places like autozone/advanced/pep/oreileys, etc. typically don't carry much of anything for these cars. Pop all the rigid plastic lines off and make sure they aren't clogged up or cracked anywhere.

The valve cover gaskets are relatively straight forward to replace, but you'll need a tool to compress the cam chain tensioners if you're going to replace the cam chain tensioner gaskets. You do NOT need the tool if you're going to only do the valve cover gaskets.

Other than the compression tool for the cam chain tensioners, you'll need a socket set, torx bits, and a torque wrench to replace the valve covers and the cam chain tensioner gaskets.

Look here for more info: How-To: V6 Cam Chain Tensioner Gaskets.

I'm with PZ - why doesn't the warranty cover the oil leaks?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by oomeragic View Post
    To do your valve cover gasket you need a special tool that compresses the chain guide.

Sorry to the mods if i'm linking to a non-site supporter just making sure i help a fellow passatworld member out =)
    FYI - The tool is only needed for the cam chain tensioner gaskets, you don't need it if you're only changing the valve cover gaskets.

Links are fine as long as you're not putting up eBay links in the classifieds, within reason, of course!

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    FYI - The tool is only needed for the cam chain tensioner gaskets, you don't need it if you're only changing the valve cover gaskets.

Links are fine as long as you're not putting up eBay links in the classifieds, within reason, of course!
    ok cool just makin sure i'm within the guidelines =)

Neutral
    the warranty was good until the 120,000 mile mark and I'm way passed that. I appreciate all your help! This will definitely be a task but I think I can mangae. Thanks again to everyone!!!!

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information