Different way to clean oil pickup screen?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Akhristov? Hey, that guy owes me money!

Different way to clean oil pickup screen?

Hi guys,

I think my oil pickup screen is clogged (AEB), but I have no way of checking it. Do you think there's a way I can somehow run an engine cleaner backwards through the oil pump (with the car off, of course) so that all the gunk from the pickup screen can just drop into the oil pan, so I can just flush it out?

I'm not sure if it's been done before by somebody. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    If you can't view the pick-up screen you will not know if you are successful or not.

Overdrive
    I think this is one of those "bite the bullet and do it" things. There have been all sorts of cleaners proposed, as well as ways to poke around through the drain hole. Maybe it'll help, maybe not - you won't know until you drop the pan. Do you really want to guess?

BTW, having examined the crud from a clogged screen - there's no way that crud is just going to "drop off".

Yeah, I know it's not just going to drop off, so I'm thinking of just letting it sit overnight.

Sadly, I can't afford any other way to clean the pickup screen. I would pull the oil pan, but I simply can't. Unless somebody in central CA is willing to help me, there's not much I can do.

PZ
    Redline
    Although most people would cringe at the idea, you can drain your oil and pour in 2 gallons of kerosene. Let it sit (do not run the car) overnight and then drain. Use a coffee filter at the drain to see if you have removed any coked oil or sludge.

After draining, pour in a quart of cheap oil and let it drain right out. Then fill with cheap oil, run for a few minutes and drain. Then fill with good oil and hope for the best.

At best, it will clean most of the screen and the oil pan. At worst, it will cause more sludge to loosen and clog the pick-up. Since you already have the problem, it's not much of a gamble.

1st Gear
    I don't think anything will dissolve the coke particles. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. Next oil change filter off some of the turbo turds (coked oil particles) and put them in a jar of your favorite snake oil, AutoRX, kerosene or Seafoam. Watch what happens for week. Nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Although most people would cringe at the idea, you can drain your oil and pour in 2 gallons of kerosene. Let it sit (do not run the car) overnight and then drain. Use a coffee filter at the drain to see if you have removed any coked oil or sludge.

After draining, pour in a quart of cheap oil and let it drain right out. Then fill with cheap oil, run for a few minutes and drain. Then fill with good oil and hope for the best.

At best, it will clean most of the screen and the oil pan. At worst, it will cause more sludge to loosen and clog the pick-up. Since you already have the problem, it's not much of a gamble.
    Hey PZ, would Jet A fuel work? Or does it have to be kerosene?

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
    I don't think anything will dissolve the coke particles. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. Next oil change filter off some of the turbo turds (coked oil particles) and put them in a jar of your favorite snake oil, AutoRX, kerosene or Seafoam. Watch what happens for week. Nothing....
    True, but it may loosen the sludge holding them in place. It may also help rinse them out when it is drained since it would flow faster than oil.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by akhristov View Post
    Hey PZ, would Jet A fuel work? Or does it have to be kerosene?
    Jet-A *is* kerosene, albeit very clean, light kerosene, with some anti-biological additives that keep gunk from growing in the fuel tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by klelmore View Post
    Jet-A *is* kerosene, albeit very clean, light kerosene, with some anti-biological additives that keep gunk from growing in the fuel tanks.
    Actually, I was told by a 777 pilot that kerosene is cleaner. So now I'm confused. Which is the better option?

1st Gear
    May be. That depends on what one means by "clean." But it doesn't really matter: the two are so very close to each other that I don't think it would make any difference.

Neutral
    This might be worth looking into. The guy goes in through the drain plug and uses a brush. Could one go through the turbo return line hole in the pan?

Oil Pickup Cleaning Tool

1st Gear

Drop the pan.....

and save yourself the frustration. The screen will be at least 90% clogged and you really need to work it to get all of the crap out of it. The oil pan will be covered in it also. It took me the better part of an hour to scour the pan to remove all of the residue.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Wrench View Post
    and save yourself the frustration. The screen will be at least 90% clogged and you really need to work it to get all of the crap out of it. The oil pan will be covered in it also. It took me the better part of an hour to scour the pan to remove all of the residue.
    I agree, drop the pan. While that bristle brush might actually break up some of the coked oil, some of it will definitely end up on the wrong side of the pickup screen possibly blocking oil lines to bearings. You can use the following lift.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96524

or this one is even nicer
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...G60/ES1884247/

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
    I agree, drop the pan. While that bristle brush might actually break up some of the coked oil, some of it will definitely end up on the wrong side of the pickup screen possibly blocking oil lines to bearings. You can use the following lift.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96524

or this one is even nicer
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...G60/ES1884247/
    Unless I missed the sarcasm, I'm pretty sure those are exactly the same engine support bar (made by the same manufacturer - US General). But, unless you have a Harbor Freight locally, their shipping costs are pretty high from the online store, so it is still worth comparing final shipped prices from multiple sources.

1st Gear
    Your right. I guess seeing the close ups on ECS just make it look better.

Neutral

sludge removal from pan

The only thing I found to disolve sludge, is laquer thinner. Do yourself a favor and pull the oil pan to clean the screen and oil pan. I got the bright idea to pour thinner down the dipstick tube and let it set for a day. I then took a vibrating palm sander and without paper on it held on the oil pan thinking it would clean the screen. It was a big mistake, the fumes ended up taking the seal out of the turbo and smoking like crazy. after all that, the oil light still came on, Ended up having to pull the pan anyways, plus a new turbo as well. No easy way. Unbolt the motor mounts,jack up and pull the pan.Its the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberdude View Post
    Do yourself a favor and pull the oil pan to clean the screen and oil pan.
    Yeah, I know it's the best way. And because of recent events (one guy crashing into my car) I might end up doing just that. I've been looking around to see if anybody has an engine lift, and hopefully I'll get on it as soon as the insurance claims are out of the way.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information