B5 Heater vent removal (to install boost gauge)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear
    Blog Entries

B5 Heater vent removal (to install boost gauge)

Hello everyone,

I've searched and found quite a few write ups on removing the driver side heater vent in order to change bulbs or do boost gauge installs.

I have not been able to find a recent enough post to where the pictures that illustrate the removal were still intact. I've tried to remove this vent with butter knives and have had no luck.

I just can't figure exactly where to place them and how to pry it. I checked my bentley dvd to see if it had any light to shine on this and i wasn't able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I couldn't find the pictures, but if I remember, there are four tabs that need to be push in (with the butter knife trick). Two on the top and two on the bottom (on the horizontal part of the vent, towards the outside corners,
    top right and left, about 3/4"" in for each side).

2nd Gear
    r u doing a custom vent boost gauge install? like fabing up your own plate to fit and all?
    and x2 on the butter knife trick. same as center vent i believe..

2nd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T8.1 tassap View Post
    r u doing a custom vent boost gauge install? like fabing up your own plate to fit and all?
    and x2 on the butter knife trick. same as center vent i believe..

yeah, there's two ways i'm going to approach it, The first way is that i want to keep the vent closed, with the venetian blind look to it, and cut out just enough space for the gauge. I know that they aren't really secured so when i do cut (in my case i'm going to melt them) they would stay put, so I'm going to epoxy them in place before i get started.

If that doesn't work, I'm an aviation crewchief/mechanic and we have a shops department that will fabricate something for me if i ask to that's plan B

2nd Gear
    Blog Entries
    so after butterknifing it to death, i realize that you guys are correct about the location of the clips, it's just how exactly it works.

there's four black notches that hold it in, but in front of those notches are grey tabs that block you from getting to the clips, but if you wedge the knife on top of the grey tab, and pry there, it will give you the clearance you need to pull the vent.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information