Which way Do I put My HID Bulbs In ?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Which way Do I put My HID Bulbs In ?

Currently in the info base are three different write ups for after market HID kit installation. One states to face the bar up, one shows an illustration that have the bar/electrode facing down. The last one states to face the bar/electrode to the outside because the projector lens will invert the bars shadow to the inside and will cancel out the shadow. Which info is correct? I installed my kit last week in my B5.5(projector lens) 35W, H7, 5000k low beams. I put my bars facing up and I can see the bar shadow on the ground, ever so faintly. I held a card board box in front of the beam and the bar shadow faces down. Which way is the correct way to face the bar? I don't want to experiment, I want to just put them how they should be and be done with it. I am very pleased with the improved vision though. With the amount of HID conversions amongst Passat owners - there has to be a consensus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    i don't remember but I think mine are down, heat issue was my thinking.
    whatever the diagram had is how I did it.
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    Facing up is the correct way.

1st Gear
    X2. The bar should be on top.. I'm like you, bought mine off the active group buy here on PW.. 5000k low beams and I would say is one of the best investments/mods for our cars..

2nd Gear
    wow, i never knew where the bar should be placed, mine on both headlights are to the side. I think ill change them once i return from the bank.

1st Gear
    In projector lights, everything gets flipped. The bar needs to be on the bottom, where the shield/shade is. That shield casts a shadow at the TOP of the headlight patter and gives us the nice cutoff pattern we see.

For some inexplicable reason, the manufacturers of these things set up the indexing tab such that it puts the bar at the top, so you'll have to modify the plastic base a bit.

Neutral
    x2 down

Neutral
    x3 down, based on what was written up. Can't see shadow up in the air, so prefer that! Don't want to see that show on the ground. Yes, tiny cut with a Dremel tool was all that was needed.

1st Gear
    So no clear answer on this.

1st Gear
    Nope

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vdblu View Post
    So no clear answer on this.
    X4 DOWN ! I finally had a chance to flip my HID bulbs today (bar/electrode from top facing to bottom facing) and no bout a doubt it - they belong facing down. When mounted up, they cast a distinct shadow line on the ground but when mounted down - no shadow at all.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Just follow Echo Of Gecko's write up for the HID install, I followed his write up and everything turned out beautifully.

Lefties have rights, too!
    I'm guessing that it doesn't matter since people here do it both ways.

Neutral
    It does matter if you have projectors and DON'T want a shadow cast on the ground. The return bar facing up will certainly cast a shadow.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWMAN'SOWN View Post
    Just follow Echo Of Gecko's write up for the HID install, I followed his write up and everything turned out beautifully.
    I did, but he states to put the bar up -which I did. I had the shadow on the ground and now it's gone with the bars facing down -no shadows and a cleaner beam.
    With the bar facing down, I can now hold a cardboard box in front of the beam and no shadow anywhere. That alone tells me the lens design eliminates the shadow when the bulb is oriented a certain way.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    I've stated this many, many times.

The "bar" must face down or to the outside when you install the capsule or else you will have shadows in the light beams.

If you installed your capsules with the bar facing up, you did it wrong. Period. I don't care where the index tabs are on the capsules.

No "REAL" HID capsules are made for H7 housings. None. Period. Any "H7 HID" capsule is a knock-off. Don't expect them to be made perfectly/properly.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    For clarification, the bar, when properly installed, faces down.

If you read my write-up, they face to the sides. This is because the capsule clips that came with my kit don't allow the capsule to be mounted with the bar facing up or down, only to the sides. Facing the bars to the outside makes the shadow on the inside, and the light beams from the projectors will cancel the shadow out.

1st Gear
    Clarification was all I was looking for if you read the OP. I didn't want to switch them only to find I had to switch them again. I knew they were in wrong that's why I posted the question. But seeing that I already switched them and got my answer this serves to inform people who will install a HID kit in the future.

2nd Gear
    way to clear it up. I'm sure a similar post wil pop up within a few months tho regardless

Overdrive
    shiny part forward.

22. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information