Engine turns over, but car won't start...
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Engine turns over, but car won't start...

My car wouldn't start this morning. It's a '99 VW Passat 1.8T (AEB).

What I know:
    It's been parked since last wednesday evening (almost 5 days).
    The engine turns over, but it won't start.
    I checked the battery (only about 6 months old) and it's fine - even tried to jump start it.
    There are NO error codes (per VAG-COM); although this could be because I disconnected the battery and it hasn't had a chance to throw any CELs since.
    Did a TBA just to make sure that wasn't an issue.
    Yes, there is gas in the car; about a half tank.
    Replaced the spark plugs (noticed that they were slightly wet with gas, is this normal?)

Can anybody point me in the right direction? What should I do/check next? Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phill

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Check the fuses? (numbers 5, 12 or 14 possibly)

The plugs are wet because you have no spark but you are apparently getting fuel. You haven't moved it since, like started then shut back off?
    1. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. This cuts off the injectors so you can clear out the cylinder of fuel.
    2. Check the fuses as said previously. Even if #14 still looks good, replace it.
    3. Check the ICM on the airbox. There are procedures on here for checking it.

Neutral
    Just cranked the hell out of it and it finally started. I saw another post from back in January 2009 about a similar problem and it was resolved in the same way.

It turns out that my car has NOT been sitting for 4-5 days straight. My wife moved it from the garage to a parking spot on the road twice over that 4 day period. Could those extremely short trips be a cause for this behavior?

Thanks everybody...

It's called carwash syndrome. The cylinders flood when you do a cold start and then shut off immediately. Common. Just let it idle down for a minute or so before shutting off next time you just need to move cars around.

Overdrive
    I've noticed both syndromes with my 2000. Leave it for over a week, or drive if for less than a minute, and it doesn't want to start. I actually had a dream about this last night. The solution in both cases seems to be holding the pedal at or near the floor and letting it crank until it catches.

1st Gear
    What this usually is deposits on the intake valve holding the valve off the seat!!! Use some topend cleaner. This is extremely common with todays gas.

Dick Shine

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Shine View Post
    What this usually is deposits on the intake valve holding the valve off the seat!!! Use some topend cleaner. This is extremely common with todays gas.

Dick Shine
    Are you refering to Seafoam, Techron or something else?

Doug

3rd Gear
    Thank God for Passatworld info. You guys saved my bacon with this post. Who would have thought that holding the gas pedal to the floor would cut off the fuel injectors. And where is the sticky on carwash syndrome?? I had heard this was a problem in the past, but I had never experienced it. Now I have and now I know. Thanks again.

99 V6 AHA 5 spd - engine cranked, but no codes, and no start. - Starts now!! Thanks PW.

Carl III

Neutral
    I'm having a similar problem with my '98 wagon. When I left work, it fired up fine. When I went to go to work the next day, it would crank but no start. It's acting like it's not getting gas. Thought it was the gas filter, changed that. The fan clutch was broken, changed that, but not quite sure if that had anything to do with it not starting. Checked the spark plugs and they are all ok, although we did find there were cracks in the valve cover. Any more thoughts as to what could the problem be? Try to go easy, i'm not too familiar with lingo or where things are. This is all very new to me. This is my first time with a vw. Until i hear an answer this will be me.....

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information