No. 3 Cylinder Misfire on 2004 Passat 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

No. 3 Cylinder Misfire on 2004 Passat 1.8T

Suddenly while on a trip, our Passat's CEL came on and the car lost power going up a hill. Whenever the engine is under a load, the car won't accelerate and shudders.

Checked codes at Auto Zone, and it showed the No. 3 cylinder was misfiring. Upon inspection, the spark plug for No. 3 was black and grody. Others were fine. Replaced all plugs, and switched the #3 and #2 coils just in case.

Once I started the car, it pulled out of the garage fine and idled smoothly, however the CEL was still on. The shuddering started back up again once the transmission shifted into 3rd gear, and the problem came back, like someone flipped a switch.

Checked the codes again, and despite new plugs and switching the coils, the #3 cylinder was still misfiring.

Unfortunately I live 2 hrs. away from the dealership and cannot afford an expensive tow and shop bill, so I must fix it myself. Does anyone have any insight?

Best,
    Chris

2004 Passat GLS Wagon (1.8T)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    After an extensive search of this forum, I found the coil could be to blame, but I thought that moving it from #3 to #2 would cause the #2 cylinder to misfire if that were the case.

Dumb question: Do you have to reset the codes before you get new ones?

Fortunately the auto parts store in town stocks them, and they are $26.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by crushnik View Post
    After an extensive search of this forum, I found the coil could be to blame, but I thought that moving it from #3 to #2 would cause the #2 cylinder to misfire if that were the case.
    It should.

Dumb question: Do you have to reset the codes before you get new ones?
    No.

Neutral

Update

Switched coils again, put in fuel treatment, new gas.

Pulling out on the highway, things went fine for about 2 mins, then problems returned.

Checked codes:
    P0300 - Random cylinder misfire detected. (Lean Air/Fuel Ratio)
    Probable Cause:
    - Ignition system misfire condition
    - Fuel injector fault
    - Engine mechanical condition
    P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire condition (Vacuum leak on engine)
    Probable Cause:
    - Ignition system fault
    - Fuel injector fault
    - Engine mechanical condition
    P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire condition (same as above)
    P0456 EVAP system very small leak detected (Loose, defective or missing fuel cap)
    Probable Cause:
    - Faulty vent solenoid... Faulty purge control solenoid... Faulty fuel tank pressure sensor
    (This might be due to adding the fuel injector cleaner prior to checking codes)

It appears that a vacuum leak may be the culprit. I have logged about 20 or so miles since problems arose. Will not be making any more trips anywhere.

Forum Sponsor
    It is not uncommon for multiple coil packs to fail, I've personally replaced one, only to have another fail in 50 miles. Ideally it is best to replace them all, and keep the old known working ones around as emergency spares.

We have a few different options for replacement coil packs, but one of the most common causes for failure is them coming loose and not having a solid connection. To solve this, we have both our ECS coil pack hold downs available, as well as the OEM Hitachi Bolt Down versions.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...aign=postreply

It certainly look like there may be a vacuum leak somewhere and possibly a bad gas cap.

Neutral
    Thanks for the response. I'll look into that.

Neutral
    Can't make heads or tails of the vacuum diagram on my hood. Is there a likely place to look for a vacuum leak that causes the above symptoms, or does a leak in one place affect the entire system?

Neutral
    There are four vacuum hoses that seem to be the problem most of the time. Most people replace these hoses with silicone hose. This thread has a nice picture that was helpful for me:
    Vaccum lines Locations?

wants you to raise up your car.
    Fortunately the auto parts store in town stocks them, and they are $26.
    You found coilpacks for $26 each? Where?

And what engine code are yours for? Seems like AEB coilpacks are all way more money than other engine codes for some reason....FAIL.

Neutral
    O'Reilly's has them and they are a nationwide retailer. But is this a case of "you get what you pay for?"

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetah05 View Post
    what engine code are yours for? Seems like AEB coilpacks are all way more money than other engine codes for some reason....FAIL.
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Neutral
    Thanks for the link, that made sense of the diagram after seeing your image. Still unable to find a leak.

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Well depending on what year of passat you have, it comes with an engine code that's specific for what kind of 1.8t engine you have. If it's a 98 it is an AEB engine.

This matters because each engine has different components and hardware to go with it. So for instance, I have an AEB engine, so I need different coilpacks than say a 2000 or 2004 passat has.

Neutral
    I see. I posted above that my Passat is a 2004 1.8T. I simply entered that info in the retailer's site, looked for coils, and that's what came up.

Neutral
    O'reilly has saved my butt many a time with their $26 coils. I have 2 as spares in my trunk.

I see. I posted above that my Passat is a 2004 1.8T. I simply entered that info in the retailer's site, looked for coils, and that's what came up.
    Ah got it. Yeah you're quite lucky you have an '04. Many companies offer cheaper coilpacks for your engine. I've only been able to find coilpacks for my AEB around $60-$70 a piece.

Neutral
    Not sure if it applies to you but I received a repair notice today on the ignition coils. They will replace at no cost. Check out their website: http://www.vwcoils.com/Default.aspx

They will also reimburse you if you paid for the repair before. I paid for the repair a year ago and will be sending in my receipts tomorrow. Good luck.

Neutral
    that means they'll reimburse me for the coils i've bought? Hope I can find all the receipts!

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information