Will a AWD Jetta engine fit a 02 Passat?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Will a AWD Jetta engine fit a 02 Passat?

Its been a couple of months since I've sold my B5 wagon and today I came across a really great deal on a B5.5 wagon with locked 1.8T engine and good tiptronic transmission...

My question is:

since this is already an internal water pump engine, will an AWD 1.8T engine out of a 2000 Jetta fit the Passat (of course just the long block, having all the accessories and manifolds and etc moved from the Passat block to the Jetta block)?

Also, the AWD engine I have is from an manual transmission car and the Wagon in question is tiptronic?

any help will be greatly apreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Magical Negro
    Did they make the jetta in 4mo?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaftster1999AEB View Post
    Both cars are FWD and drive by wire...

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    hahahahahahaha
    no.

talk to 390_toda_wheels about this.

as for the NEW 2.0t motor, it is impossible to transplant as the fuel injectors run off of a 65~ volt rail that no aftermarket ECU standalone can compensate for.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    hahahahahahaha
    no.

as for the NEW 2.0t motor, it is impossible to transplant as the fuel injectors run off of a 65~ volt rail that no aftermarket ECU standalone can compensate for.
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing here...

I have a 02 passat with a seized 1.8t motor and a awd motor out of a 2000 jetta.

I want to know, since they are both internal water pump engines, if I can use the awd long block to fix my passat, using all the accessories, manifolds and management that are currently on the seized engine swapped to the awd longblock...

I don't want to do anything more than swap the longblock into the passat...

I've done swaps like this before, like putting an Beetle longblock in a Jetta...I had to swap every single water outket, bracket and accessories on it, but the longblock itself was the same...that was an AWW to AWP swap if I remember correctly...

1st Gear
    also, I just realized that some of you are understanding AWD from the first post as all wheel drive. It isn't. AWD is the engine code out of the 2000 Jetta 1.8T donor car...

Resident a-hole knowitall
    why is this so hard for people to wrap there minds around, AWD is a jetta engine code kinda like AWM, AUG, ATW, AEB, etc. the block will bolt up to the car fine, the only thing that i can think of is the crank might be different from the auto to manual but i dont think that was an issue on the DBW cars, long block 1.8t's are all the same the only difference is the internal waterpump vs external waterpump. but even that you can get around if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    hahahahahahaha
    no.

hate to burst your bubble but its been done

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3463978

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4345920

you don't need aftermarket to control the 2.0t just use the stock ECU

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    why is this so hard for people to wrap there minds around, AWD is a jetta engine code kinda like AWM, AUG, ATW, AEB, etc. the block will bolt up to the car fine, the only thing that i can think of is the crank might be different from the auto to manual but i dont think that was an issue on the DBW cars, long block 1.8t's are all the same the only difference is the internal waterpump vs external waterpump. but even that you can get around if you need to.
    It does make sense once it's explained that AWD is the engine code, but I believe I can explain why some people here might have some confusion regarding Jetta engine codes:

4th Gear
    Yup. It's hard to make the leap to, "They made a 4Motion Jetta? If they did, would the engine be longitudinal, or ANY different?"

If you already have the car and motor, I'd just start the project and take what comes. It should be close enough to work. If not, you can just change the parts (crankshaft) as needed. The worst that can happen is that it's TOTALLY out of sync, and you'll just have to find another shortblock out of a yard.

5th Gear
    If you'd post/add your general location, you might find someone local who'd be willing to help...

1st Gear
    ok, so I found out if the Jetta was an automatic it would fit just fine. A friend of mine did an auto jetta to manual passat swap in the same scenario that I had my question.
    Now he is not sure if the crank will work on the inverted situation...I guess I'll put the trannys out to measure the cranks and see if the torque converter will have enough clearance...

2nd Gear
    Your friend is on the right track. The crank for the Auto won't fit a manual and vice-versa. Even in a Passat-Passt swap, you have to use the same crank type. The auto flex plate pattern is different from the flywheel pattern. Sux.

1st Gear
    I found more info on that.

Jettas use the same crank for manual and auto, the auto just doesn't come with the pilot bearing installed on it.

Manual Passats use the same crank as the Jettas, and auto Passats use a diferent crank, but, if you machine the end of the crank to give more clearance to the torque converter, it can be used too...

I'm going to pull the engines out of both cars to find out for sure...

4th Gear
    That's the spirit! Quit the yammerin' and get to teh workin'!

1st Gear
    also I'll need to swap the vvt stuff from one engine to the other...fun fun fun...

4th Gear
    ??? I thought you were just swapping the block? Isn't the VVT gear in the head?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore View Post
    ??? I thought you were just swapping the block? Isn't the VVT gear in the head?
    I'm swapping the longblock...

The Passat engine is locked and when I pulled the spark plugs out, cylinder 4 is so toast that I really doubt is something salvageable from this engine...

My first step will be pull the engine out of the Passat and take it apart to access the damage, them I'll decide how much of the Jetta engine will need to be used to get the Passat back on the road...

1st Gear
    I might be actually just fixing this engine, its not too bad afterall...

It looks like it broke a head of one intake valve and granaded one piston. Also it jumped timing after that and hit a couple of the other valves.

Amazingly, the cylinder walls look great, while the piston is absolutely destroyed...

I have spare pistons and rods and also a AWP head out of a 02 GTI with the vvt on it, so it may be an easier fix to just throw the rods and pistons with the GTI head on it and call it a day...

4th Gear
    Good to hear! Not too often you get a totally destroyed piston, usually they just get a little dinged up.

Keep us updated!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Passit+miata View Post
    Your friend is on the right track. The crank for the Auto won't fit a manual and vice-versa. Even in a Passat-Passt swap, you have to use the same crank type. The auto flex plate pattern is different from the flywheel pattern. Sux.
    1. They did not seriously make different crankshafts for auto and stick.

2. What is a flex plate?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    1. They did not seriously make different crankshafts for auto and stick.

2. What is a flex plate?
    1. Unfortunately they did...

2. Sorry about the flex plate name, I'm not used to work on automatic transmission cars and I don't even know why I called it flex plate (maybe someone else called it that and I just repeated)...I was referring to the metal piece that bolts to the crank and then you bolt the flux capac, I mean, the torque converter to it...

PZ
    Redline
    Flex plate is the correct term. Auto Passats can be converted to Manual trans with a little grinding of the crank end. It was done locally and works fine. Here is the write-up:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299543

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Flex plate is the correct term. Auto Passats can be converted to Manual trans with a little grinding of the crank end. It was done locally and works fine. Here is the write-up:
    Agreed...it was recommended to me by a shop that didn't have an AWM auto engine, but did have a manual, when I was looking for engines.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaftster1999AEB View Post

Yes, but it was not sold in the US

Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post

thank you, i've been saying that for years and no one believes me

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    thank you, i've been saying that for years and no one believes me
    I believe you...

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    holy crap, that guy that did the swap is local to plano, and i've met him a few times. NEVER knew he did that!

crazy rich bastard

1st Gear
    Finally had some spare time to work on my own car...

Took the old pistons apart and now I'm evaluating the carnage to see if its worth trying to save this one or to just replace the whole engine...

Here's a pic of the carnage...

4th Gear
    WTF? Was the head on fire?

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information