Gasoline Smell (Different from previous posts)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Gasoline Smell (Different from previous posts)

What would cause a strong raw gasoline odor outside of a 2002 VW Passat AWD V6, ONLY when parked and not running, and ONLY with a full gas tank of gas? Absolutely no fuel leak is detected, and there are NO fault codes. When tank get down to about 3/4, it goes away, and all is well! And I know -DON'T fill it up! I have already changed fuel filter and gas cap. The "top" vent in the filler neck is indeed closing. The smell is not under the hood or inside - only outside around the rear of the auto.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Could have clipped the fuel line replacing the filter, or not have the clamps on 100%. Did this issue happen before or after the filter replacement?

Neutral
    Before...Filter replacement was an attempt at a fix. There is/was no leak around filter, banjo clamps, or lead in/out hoses.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you have a leaking fuel line on the filter, regardless of what you said above. it doesn't take but a few drops to be able to smell it.

Neutral
    Finally had the time to look at this thing again. STILL can't detect any leaking around the fuel filter; BUT, this thing is an AWD, and it appears to have TWO tanks!?!? Am I crazy! The tank on the driver's side DOES appear to have had some fuel on it - coming around from the top. Perhaps this might explain why this only happens when the tank is full! I do not see how these tanks are connected. Any ideas anyone.

Neutral
    OK, I may now FINALLY be getting somewhere!! Look at this previous post:

02 V6 GLX 4 Motion - Gas smell after filling fuel tank

There IS, aparently, a PROBLEM with these fuel tanks! If your Passat has twin tanks, BEWARE! I'm gonna contact VW and see if I can get anywhere. I am the original owner, and don't have $2500 to spend on a repair!

Moderators, "PLEASE file this one into your memory banks!!!"
    And please let me know anything you can to help!!!

Neutral
    Hey folks, me again, and guess what
    MY DEALER GOT THIS REPAIRED AT NO CHARGE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    $2500 FULE TANK REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT, FREE TO ME FROM VW!!!!!!

This problem is indeed a VW error in judgement, so if you have a 4-Motion with dual tanks, BEWARE...

should you smell gas, one of your tanks has probably started leaking

And, even if you are FAR out of warrantee, VW WILL cover it!!!

I got a free repair, AND, a brand new Jetta as a loaner while they worked on it!!!

ALL IS WELL, I'M FIXED AT NO CHARGE, AND!!!, I HAD A FREE LOANER CAR WHILE THEY WORKED ON IT!!!!!!!!

Neutral
    My 4-motion tank is leaking at the vent hose. 71,000 miles. How did you talk your dealer into replacing yours?

PZ
    Redline
    He only had 5 posts and they were all in this thread. The last one was over 8 months ago so I doubt you will hear back from him.

Try calling VW customer care, but if you are well out of warranty, I would be surprised if they cover it.

Neutral
    Good points, PZ. Thanks.

And, yes, VW customer care already denied my request for them to cover the replacement cost.

I am original owner of the car and we have not hit anything hard, so I can't understand how this thing could have broken.

I reported it to the NHTSA.

Neutral
    Really late post here. I see that I had only posted the conclusion to my problem on one of threads where I had talked about the gas leak. Summer of 2010, after having the vent hose nipple and tank top coated with RTV sealant, I got the car home from North Carolina and got it to the dealer here. VW ended up paying to have the tank replaced, and they reimbursed me for the work done in North Carolina as well as a few other expenses.

Worked out pretty well. I had my rear brakes done at the same time, which saved a bit of labor.

Shawn

PZ
    Redline
    Good to hear.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information