price to replace pre-cat O2 sensor?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

price to replace pre-cat O2 sensor?

I have my '00 1.8T scheduled into the mechanic on Friday to replace what I think is a forward O2 sensor. Does anybody know how much this type of work runs ($$)? Am I looking at a $500-600 job? I wish I knew how to do it myself, but I don't have the know-how to tackle such a job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Replacing an O2 sensor is almost as easy as changing a sparkplug. Buy the part yourself and save $500. I just did an after cat sensor and it was a pain to route the wires between the firewall and the engine, but was not impossible. A pre-cat should be much easier. Do a search and you will find some good info for DIY.

Neutral
    What he said but first find out why he is wanting to change the sensor or you may just be throwing money at your car for no reason.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by glx4mo View Post
    Replacing an O2 sensor is almost as easy as changing a sparkplug. Buy the part yourself and save $500. I just did an after cat sensor and it was a pain to route the wires between the firewall and the engine, but was not impossible. A pre-cat should be much easier. Do a search and you will find some good info for DIY.
    You are presuming all of us have DIY auto-knowledge, my friend. I do not. I have not the knowledge, experience, tools, physical ability or facility to work on my car, so I am at the mercy of a trusted mechanic. It would be beyond my ability to even REMOVE the engine cover on my car, let alone change a spark plug. Based on the info. I've gathered from this informative forum, my CEL and associated symptoms point to either a bad O2 sensor or a problem with the MAF (lack of turbo boost and slightly impaired MPG - otherwise the car runs fine). The mechanic will have to read the codes to determine this.

I just find all of this interesting and take a keen interest in my car's function and engineering. I was just trying to determine and anticipate how many dollars would be soon leaving my checking account based on the suspected repairs. I should also mention that all of my car's service/repairs have been performed by a local VW dealership since day one. I know it's more expensive, but I am disabled and the dealership is the only place in town that provides me with a loaner car (which I must have) while my car is being worked on.

Just remember, not EVERYONE who frequents this forum or takes an interest in their car's mechanical workings and upkeep are DIY types.

2nd Gear
    If a dealer is charging $500-600, try and find a reputable independent mechanic or a different dealer. The part itself from a VW dealer is about $230 plus another $150-200 to install.

Buying the part online is in the neighborhood of $100. Buy the part yourself and have an independent put it in for you. It shouldn't cost more than $250-300 total to have someone install it for you.

2nd Gear
    $75 bosch sensor from getcoolparts.com type in audi at checkout.
    o2 sensor removal tool around $25 on ebay, just unplug the sensor then unscrew, a half hour job from start to finnish, lets say an hour at shop so thats $100 plus the $75 sensor.

2nd Gear
    it would worth it to take your car to auto zone to get the codes scanned for free before you start buying parts, if its the o2 sensor get it from getcoolparts.com very fast delivery great service and price. it might be worth it for you to buy a code reader you can get them from $35 upwards. do you or your friends know a mechanic or someone who knows how to change a sparkplug? ask around you might save yourself a few hundred dollars, good luck

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OP, have you had anyone scan the ECU in your car to verify the pre-cat O2 sensor is bad? I highly recommend doing so, to make sure you aren't throwing money at the car in an attempt to make the problem go away. We can help you locate the sources of the problem(s), but only if a scan by VAG-COM or other OBD-II reader has been performed.

Also, keep in mind that a lack of boost is probably not an O2 sensor (whereas a change in gas mileage could very well be an O2 senssor or the MAF)... it is more than likely a cracked hose.

Neutral
    My hope is that it's just a broken hose and nothing more! Once the codes are read, I'll know more.

I know I'm in the minority here and I suppose I'm lucky, but to be honest, I've had nothing but positive experiences with the dealership service department (Carter VW in Seattle). I've never felt taken advantage of (because of my limited knowledge) and the service folks have always treated me with respect and explained everything to me so I could understand it. I know these cars are expensive to maintain, and yes, I could find a less expensive place to have work done, but they haven't given me a reason to switch to another repair facility. I trust them (which is 99% in my book) and as I mentioned, I have to have a loaner car when mine's being worked on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and insight. I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on the findings on Friday.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information