Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

volume/channel on steering wheel not working

16K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ikonw8 
#1 ·
Hi all, just got into my W8 wagon and my radio controls on my steering wheel are not working, and the display on the dash, which indicates volume or channel is off/black. The only maintenance thing I have done was to replace a burned out rear light bulb. The radio itself works just fine. And there is nothing to indicate a problem on the radio display.

My Bentley manual was of no help, and I did not find anything in a search on this forum and on the W8 forum.

Any help before I take it in to the dealer would be appreciated.

TX John in VA

#2 ·
I had a similar problem a long time ago. It turned out to be my homelink shorting out the steering wheel controls. nothing worked on the wheel, volume, horn, etc. It ended up a fuse that powers that plus homelink plus the heated seat switches i think. Not sure if that is your problem, but it's worth checking.

#5 ·
Another thing to check, since everything else works, is the physical plug in the back of the HU. The steering wheel controls are separate from everything else and if you or anyone else did some work back there it may not have been plugged back in correctly (it's in the big plug, but a seperate mini connector...)

#6 ·
stewartglx4motion capacitive discharge works

Thanks to stewartglx4motion for the correct hint to my particular car.

Symptoms in my case:
Radio controls on steering wheel did not work.
Radio display in instrument cluster blank.
Cruise controls on other side OK.
Stock radio operates OK in all other ways.
VAG-Com runs steering wheel measured value blocks OK- shows buttons operating.

Solution:
Disconnect negative battery cable.
Using a long-enough metal tool, in my case a wrench, I shorted the disconnected negative cable to the positive terminal of the battery for a few secs. AKA- capacitive discharge.
Reconnect negative battery cable.
Hooray, success!

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.