Can't recode the CAN-gateway... HELP???
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

Can't recode the CAN-gateway... HELP???

Alright, I've installed a W8 cluster in my car, and I've got most everything working with 2 exceptions. I need to recode the CAN-gateway for it to go into "node discovery mode", which should correct the issues I'm having. The problem is, I can't change the soft coding! I should be able to set it to another proper value, but nothing takes, it just goes right back to what's already set.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Try changing a single digit of the code at a time, starting from the last digit.

Or try changing the single digit to 0 or 1 before changing it again to the correct number.

4th Gear
    OK, no luck so far... The current soft coding is 00006, which is right, but I still need to re-code so that it does the node discovery thing. I tried every thing from 00000 through 00009, but nothing took. What's odd, though, is that I was able to change the WSC with no issues.

I'm still at a loss with this! Grrr...

uu8
    The Rubberband Man
    Bobby,
    Maybe this will help?

W8 Speedo Installed in a 1.8T!

4th Gear
    uu8 - Thanks for the link. I didn't really see anything new in there, and I think I've gotten a bit further than they did... From what I've read, I need to recode the CAN gateway so that it goes into node discovery mode, which should correct my current issues, at least in theory. I'm just not sure why I can't recode the CAN gateway???

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    wait, holdup.

so, if what your profile says is correct, you have a 2000. which means you drive a b5.
    you have k-line, not can-bus.

are you sure the problem isn't a car compatibility issue?

Resident a-hole knowitall
    i think thats what he is trying to get around to make the temp gauge work.

Bobby what are your current problems?

did you try using VDS or are you just using normal VAGCOM?

i think the problem you are running into is the cluster is looking for the ECU immobilizer number and since a 2000 doesnt have it that could be preventing you from coding it right. the W8 uses CANBUS to control some things so without a CANBUS present to respond to the cluster it might be reverting to some sort of safe mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    i think thats what he is trying to get around to make the temp gauge work.

Bobby what are your current problems?

did you try using VDS or are you just using normal VAGCOM?

i think the problem you are running into is the cluster is looking for the ECU immobilizer number and since a 2000 doesnt have it that could be preventing you from coding it right. the W8 uses CANBUS to control some things so without a CANBUS present to respond to the cluster it might be reverting to some sort of safe mode.
    ah! that's right. i had forgotten that they have a special "SKC" or something ruther code that is programmed/adapted that basically mates the ecu ot the cluster.

i do believe more research was necessary before the cluster was purchased imho, no offense.

4th Gear
    OK, I have the SKC number for both clusters, and I've done A LOT of research before diving into this... I had many conversations with 2 "cluster ninjas" who have fitted several Immo III clusters into Immo II cars, like mine. Supposedly, the Immo III cluster can "talk" Immo II somehow. What I've read is that recoding the CAN gateway will cause it to go into node discovery mode, where it should recognize the modules in my car. The CAN gateway is in the cluster, and I've been able to look at it on both my new and old cluster. I can change the soft-coding on the old one, but it will not change on the new one. Everything else in the cluster is working right, except for the Immo and the door open chime and display.

I've only got 2 issues that I'd like to correct at this point...

1) The Immo in the dash goes off every time I start the car, and the light on the dash just keeps blinking. At least the car still runs, and isn't shut down by the Immo.

2) The dash doesn't show when any door is open, so I don't have the "headlights on" or "key in the ignition" chime when I open the door. I don't really care if it shows up on the dash, but I would like those chimes to work.

I read about having to run wires to the cluster from the CAN buss connections of the CCM, but I have yet to confirm if this will be of any benefit in my particular case. Another thought I had was to get a pickup coil for the key transponder, and get one transponder that I'll just attach inside the dash, and leave it at that. But again, I don't know if it'll correct the issue, and I don't want to just start throwing money at this issue... So, I'm at a loss of what to do from here.

Blog Entries
    allright. i stand corrected.
    you aren't so research-less.

i seem to recall the immob thing coming up before in a few of the other installs...

also, if you can, please do a writeup with pics
    i'd like to do this and would like the how-to.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information