Outer CV Joint Replacement
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Outer CV Joint Replacement

All right since the search engine on the thread won't allow the term CV since it is below 3 letters I will post this I am sure redundant thread. I think I have read on here somewhere before that you can replace the outer CV joint on Passats without removing the entire axle.

I have an 02 1.8T GLS with both sides needing outer joint replacement. I have the kits from Blauparts and some time to do this. Does anyone know the thread or procedure to perform this repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I seem to remember the key is adjusting the turn of the wheels and the elevation of the axels in order to free the outer joint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    taligentx.com: Passat - CV Boot/Joint Replacement

read the comments at the bottom too

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Get an entire CV shaft from Kragen with a price match to napa for $55 with a lifetime warranty.

PZ
    Redline
    If you need the joints replaced, go ahead and replace the axle. If you need boots, it is best to pull the axles. On older model 1.8T (up to 01.5) the axle was solid and you could pull the cv off the shaft by putting the bolt in the axle after it is removed from the hub. This does not work on the later models, so a vice is needed to hold the axle while the cv is removed with a hammer and punch.

3rd Gear
    The OP already has the replacement joints. The joints can be replaced w/o removing the axle from the car but you'd need to remove the pinch bolt to move the steering knuckle out of the joint and make room to separate the outer joint from the axle. This is explained on the blauparts website. The other option is to remove the axle - this can be done w/o disassembling any suspension parts (see Scott's link above). I have and would go that route when replacing an outer joint.

1st Gear
    X2 on reading the comments on the taligentx site

1st Gear
    I agree with the value of the Taligentx site.

I pulled the driveshafts out in order to replace both outer boots. Driver's side came out without removing pinch bolt; pass side needed pinch bolt and UCAs removed from spindle on my 1999 1.8T manual. Get the longest Craftsman socket extension you can find and the inner CV 12 point bolts are easy to remove and retorque.

The pinch bolt was a piece of cake-I had replaced the M10 x100 pinch bolts on both sides with metric stainless steel bolts/nylon lock nuts when I replaced my suspension 2 years ago, with liberal anti-seize. It just slid right out. I would highly recommend this when the pinch bolt is replaced, esp in areas where they use salt or mag chloride on the roads like here in Denver.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information