How to remove the Mechanical fan from a 1.8T?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to remove the Mechanical fan from a 1.8T?

I have a 2000 1.8T.

So my viscous fan clutch self-destructed at 80k miles on the car. Most of the clutch and the fan blades came apart from the pulley. It appears to have sheared off inside where it connects together.

I took the belt off and it free spins in both directions???

Going to the dealer to check on the cost of a replacement I noticed the part number has changed. The one from my car is 058 121 347 the new part number is 058 121 350. Looks like a more heavy duty part.

Need some help getting whats left of the old one off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    This is really easy to do.

You will need to put the front into service position, not to take off the remaining piece, but to put on the new fan.

Notice the pulley on which the belt ran - there are I think four small holes going through this. Now look at the aluminum piece on which this mounts. Behind the pulley at around 1 o-clock there are two raised tabs. Place a small punch or other piece of steel between these tabs and them through one of the holes in the pulley. This locks the pulley.

Now use an 8mm allen socket. On the backside of the aluminum mount, you will see an allen leah bolt that goes through the mount, through a bearing, and to the viscous fan assembly. Remove this bolt and the assembly comes out.

Installation in reverse.

Z

Neutral
    Thanks for the reply. I will look for said bolt.

Neutral

question

the front service position or radiator service position needed to remove this fan, does that involve removing the front end as you would do for a timing belt job?

the bearing in my girlfriends 01 passat turbo is blown, makes crazy noise while it spins. so if you have any suggestions on how to replace that bearing or do you have to buy a whole new assembly i would appreciate it.

1st Gear
    There is only one service position which entails removing the bumper cover and then pulling the radiator support forwards. Once you do this a few times you will be able to do it in about 20 minutes - pretty easy.

IF the noise is from the turbo, you will need to replace the unit or send it out for a rebuild.

There are lots of turning parts down there. Verify it is the turbo before you start spending money.

Z

Neutral
    whoops i really meant the bearing in the viscous fan housing, it sounds horrible.

1st Gear
    Its really use to replace. You still need the front in service position. Remove the fan (4 4mm allen head bolts), then the clutch fan (pin through the housing to lock the clutch and a 8mm allen head bolt from rear. Remove the circlip on the front side. Then you pull the old bearing out and push in the new one. You can make your own tool or simply buy one for cheap. Here is the link for the tool - just $40.

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/vw_matra_3367.jpg

1st Gear
    I've replaced the alternator and the fan on my 00 1.8T without the hassle of putting the car into the service position either time once I found the allen bolt on the back of the fan. It clears on my car no problem what so ever.

Neutral

Service position

Did this on my 04 1.8t fan cracked in half bought an after market from Altrom
    $40.00 had to loosen rad support about 2 hours total did a little cleaning while I was in there.

You'll need to use an 8mm hex attachment on a ratchet to get this bolt out. As you can see in the pic above, it's a very tight fit to get the ratchet in there, so there's not a lot of room to move. As you crank on the ratchet the whole pulley will try to turn. You'll notice that VW conveniently left a notch along the body of the pulley housing in which you shall insert something long and strong... like a hex wrench! In the pic above you can see the hex wrench slid in between that
    notch and through the pulley via one of its many holes. You can just see the other end of the hex wrench sticking out the other side of the pulley. After removing the bolt from the back of the pulley, you can slide the whole fan/pulley assembly off. It might be easier if someone holds the belt tensioner loose when you do this.

4th Gear
    Hex key bad. They are stiff, but brittle and can snap. Better to use a punch.

I've replaced the fan without tipping the lock carrier, but I'm not so sure the coupling will come all the way out without hitting the radiator. Might as well try and then move the carrier only if needed. You have nothing to lose except knuckle skin.

Neutral

Removing the fan bearing

Quote Originally Posted by zmaninco View Post
    Its really use to replace. You still need the front in service position. Remove the fan (4 4mm allen head bolts), then the clutch fan (pin through the housing to lock the clutch and a 8mm allen head bolt from rear. Remove the circlip on the front side. Then you pull the old bearing out and push in the new one. You can make your own tool or simply buy one for cheap. Here is the link for the tool - just $40.

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/vw_matra_3367.jpg

Regarding removing the fan bearing (not the fan, already got that removed, using a hex key as a counterhold), is there any tip?

With the circlip removed, I used a 1-5/8 large socket in front of the housing, and from the back put through a long 8" bolt with some nuts around its neck (small enough to go through the housing opening) so the head would stick out for me to counterhold, and tightened a nut from the socket side. After a lot of torque (I was careful to make sure the threads wouldn't strip), the bolt just snapped and the bearing didn't even budge!

I finished replacing the timing belt, and with a new serpentine belt, the fan bearing started making noise. I didn't want to put things together/close the bumper yet, but I might have to resort to ordering the matra tool if I can't find a sturdier bolt locally.

Any help would be appreciated.

(EDIT: didn't want to update two old threads, but here is another thread on this, with the ETKA/ETOS diagram: How to remove the viscous coupling fan bearing)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post

You'll need to use an 8mm hex attachment on a ratchet to get this bolt out. As you can see in the pic above, it's a very tight fit to get the ratchet in there, so there's not a lot of room to move. As you crank on the ratchet the whole pulley will try to turn. You'll notice that VW conveniently left a notch along the body of the pulley housing in which you shall insert something long and strong... like a hex wrench! In the pic above you can see the hex wrench slid in between that
    notch and through the pulley via one of its many holes. You can just see the other end of the hex wrench sticking out the other side of the pulley. After removing the bolt from the back of the pulley, you can slide the whole fan/pulley assembly off. It might be easier if someone holds the belt tensioner loose when you do this.
    My husband is trying to do this right now. Which way does he need to turn the nut: clockwise or counterclockwise?

iirc, it's counterclockwise. In the picture, if you turn it clockwise, the allen key will lift right out of t's "notch"

Neutral
    I know, this thread is a few months old, but very soon I will be doing a fan-clutch replacement.

VAGguy said: ''iirc, it's counterclockwise. In the picture, if you turn it clockwise, the allen key will lift right out of it's "notch" ''
    If that's so, then how is the nut tightened?
    Don't I just insert a non-shatterable piece of metal (nod to 2MP) in the same set of notches and turn 'righty-tighty"? (i.e. clockwise)

Eh, you use what you have lying around. More people would have hex keys than punches. I know I don't have a punch that would fit there...but I digress.

I looked at the picture wrong. It looks like the notch would serve it's purpose in either direction.

Neutral
    Can't you just leave the pulley off?

Neutral
    Pulley left off with the use of a e-fan that is.

you would have to use a shorter belt....

Neutral
    Can anyone post the part # for the fan bearing? My dealer couldn't find it.

James

Neutral

bearing

Quote Originally Posted by James04 View Post
    Can anyone post the part # for the fan bearing? My dealer couldn't find it.

James
    hey there James,

Do you by any chance have the part # for the bearing? I went to the dealership near me and they couldn't find it either?

Thanks,

tony

Neutral
    yes 058-115-136 $60

See the photos to see how I was able to change this without removing the mounting bracket form the car. You should get the bearing first and be sure you have a socket or the like that the bearing will fit inside and a bolt that will fit through the length of the Bearing and socket. I used a heavy washer on the back of the bracket to draw the new bearing in. Be sure to grease the inside of the bracket and outside of the bearing. The old one was quite difficult to remove. The snap ring is for show and is superfluous.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neutral
    Thanks James. Were you hearing noises at low RPMs ? I was trying to distingish if it was coming from the fan clutch or the bearing, but i believe its the bearing ...

Thanks again ,

tony

Quote Originally Posted by James04 View Post
    yes 058-115-136 $60

See the photos to see how I was able to change this without removing the mounting bracket form the car. You should get the bearing first and be sure you have a socket or the like that the bearing will fit inside and a bolt that will fit through the length of the Bearing and socket. I used a heavy washer on the back of the bracket to draw the new bearing in. Be sure to grease the inside of the bracket and outside of the bearing. The old one was quite difficult to remove. The snap ring is for show and is superfluous.

James

Neutral
    All rpms. With a cool engine at an idle you can slow the fan down with a finger on the outside rim of the fan. Then grab it. I am sure if it is the viscous bearing you will hear a substantial change in the sound. You could always pick up a fan from a junk yard to rule that out first.

James

JTL
    1st Gear
    I know this is old but if anyone is still viewing, does the 8mm bolt turn counterclockwise. I have put a lot of force on it and it hasn't budged. I don't want to break something.

counterclockwise. Just confirmed with a friend that had to remove it to do the alternator not more than a couple of weeks ago.
    Glutton for Punishment: 14 Passat TDI SELP, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T

JTL
    1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    counterclockwise. Just confirmed with a friend that had to remove it to do the alternator not more than a couple of weeks ago.
    Thanks,
    I did get it off and the t-stat installed. Do you by any chance know the torque specs for the viscous fan bolt and the alternator bolts? I torqued the t-stat bracket to 84 inch pounds or 7 ft pounds, seemed about right.

Somebody with a bentley might have to comment. I've gone 6.5 years without having a need to buy or consult one. All work done at home. I've had a wrench in my hand since I was 10-12 doing small stuff on my Dad's (RIP) vehicles. I've always been good at the Goodentight method. The only time I have used a tq wrench is on my wheel bolts. I do recommend using a proper tq wrench though.
    Glutton for Punishment: 14 Passat TDI SELP, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T

JTL
    1st Gear
    I am thinking of cranking them down real good and using a little locktight for good measure. I know the viscous fan bolt was really on tight, so much so I had to hit it several times with a hammer.

31. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information