OBD2 port problem
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

OBD2 port problem

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been trying to pull the DTCs from my 99 1.8T for the longest time with no success. I first got an ebay serial cable and tried it with both 409 and 311 shareware on 2 laptops, one Win 98 and the other WinXP. No success. I then bought a USB cable from ebay and tried it on the laptop with XP and a newer duo core tablet laptop. No success. I also tried using the software ScanPro. No success. The cables are recognized but there's no communication with the car. I now got a Innova Equus 3140 universal scanner. Same results, can't communicate. I'm thinking my OBD2 port is not working. How can I find out for sure. I really need to figure this out because I've got a "Test Only" smog check required for my registration renewal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Resident a-hole knowitall
    do you have an aftermarket radio in the car?

Neutral
    Nope, it's the stock cassette player with 6 disk changer in the trunk.

1st Gear
    i know it sounds silly, but maybe go to an autozone or similar and borrow their cheap-o code scanner and see what it says. you won't be able to DO anything with it, but at least you can see if it is communicating.

4th Gear
    Check the fuses. When this happened to my van it was the cigarette lighter fuse that caused this problem.

i had one of those "cheapo" scanners..... it was the best thing i stole from my friend!!! he found out and got it back

Neutral
    Is there any way to figure out if its the communication port or the car's computer?

4th Gear
    Go to a place like autozone - they will scan the codes for free, and you'll know if the port is working...

3rd Gear
    You can check to see if you get any current over the OBD port. If you are, most likely you didn't set the com ports correctly with the knock-off ebay cable (since you have a stock radio).

Neutral
    I have a OBD2 scanner for generic codes. It can't comunicate with car. Last time I went to Autozone they said they loan the scanner with a deposit of the price of the scanner, but that they didn't pull the codes themselves.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzballcadillac View Post
    I have a OBD2 scanner for generic codes. It can't comunicate with car. Last time I went to Autozone they said they loan the scanner with a deposit of the price of the scanner, but that they didn't pull the codes themselves.
    That's strange. My local autozone just asks for your driver's license as collateral.

4th Gear
    Did you check fuse 5? Fuse 5 is for OBDII port, climatronic a/c pressure switch, and heated seats module.

Neutral
    Fuse 5, wow, I didn't know that. No I haven't but I will now. If fuse 5 is blown would the LED on the cable still light up when it connects to the port? Because the ebay cables have a LED that lights up when I connect them to the OBD2 port.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzballcadillac View Post
    Fuse 5, wow, I didn't know that. No I haven't but I will now. If fuse 5 is blown would the LED on the cable still light up when it connects to the port? Because the ebay cables have a LED that lights up when I connect them to the OBD2 port.
    You are probably right. My guess is if the LED lights, you have power.

Neutral
    Fuse 5 is working. Now what? I think that something is up with the obd2 link.
    Anymore suggestions? The deadline for my smog check is near.

Neutral
    OK. So I went into one autozone and the wanted me to leave a deposit of $167. I went to another and managed to get a rookie to come out with the scanner to see if it worked on my car before I bought . It worked! It read P0103. That means that if the Scantron linked to my car, it's my scanner . I called the Tech support of my scanner and they want me to try updating the software with the internet. I'm going to try that in a while but meanwhile I'm wondering about P0103. Thats MAF sensor high circuit or something. A while back I tried cleaning it with MAF spray. Does this mean it's no good and I need to buy a new one. Could that be why my idle fluctuates for a second or two when I start the engine then rises to 1600-1800 and stays there?

Neutral
    I tried disconnecting the MAF sensor and the idle actually went higher. However I did notice that there was no fluctuation at the start up. Any suggestions?

Neutral
    MAF cleaning --- Try this thread:

How to clean a MAF, the kitchen way.

Neutral
    I had previously cleaned it with the MAF cleaner spray from the autoparts store. I'm going to give it one more try. I thought that disconnecting it would bring the idle down though.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information