unknown warning light - please help
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

unknown warning light - please help

I'm not going to go into how many problems I've had, but they seem to be occurring faster. Long story short - car ran great to work this morning! Went to lunch just a bit ago, and the following occurred:

Brake light stayed on
    Computer center on dash (MPG, etc) no longer working
    Warning light on dash - Yellow, looks like a car (front view) with a screw going into the right side.

The brake light has since gone off, but I still have the other 2 issues. I thought it was telling me my gas cap was loose, checked, took off, put back on...nada. I called the dealership, they claim that my '04 Passat does not have a functioning indicator lamp like I describe - they tell me to bring it in. I have already invested well over $1000 since buying this POS 6 months ago. Has anyone else had this issue? Please advise!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Have you checked the owner's manual?

Sounds like you have the CEL (Check Engine Light). It's an engine with a lightning bolt going through it. Many reasons for that turning on. You can get a free scan at Autozone or if you know someone with a Vag-Com cable for the codes.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrekForreal View Post
    I'm not going to go into how many problems I've had, but they seem to be occurring faster. Long story short - car ran great to work this morning! Went to lunch just a bit ago, and the following occurred:

Brake light stayed on
    Computer center on dash (MPG, etc) no longer working
    Warning light on dash - Yellow, looks like a car (front view) with a screw going into the right side.

The brake light has since gone off, but I still have the other 2 issues. I thought it was telling me my gas cap was loose, checked, took off, put back on...nada. I called the dealership, they claim that my '04 Passat does not have a functioning indicator lamp like I describe - they tell me to bring it in. I have already invested well over $1000 since buying this POS 6 months ago. Has anyone else had this issue? Please advise!
    Take a picture of it.

Also were in WI are you located, guessing there maybe someone with a VAG, nearby.

Neutral
    It is not the check engine light, I have had that come on before.
    I checked the owners manual, it is not in there. That is why i called the dealership...I'll try to take a pic of it when I get home today. (stopping off at a dealership for a couple test drives first).

Thanks for trying to help!

gas cap light!!!!! I get it a couple times a year. It comes on when a small evap leak is detected whether it be a gas cap or something else. It will throw a code too most likely. Mine literally said (on Vagcom) "very small evap leak detected". Only a $1000? That's chump change......If not for wartranty, mine would easily go over $1500 and I only have 55K on it.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    gas cap light!!!!! I get it a couple times a year. It comes on when a small evap leak is detected whether it be a gas cap or something else. It will throw a code too most likely. Mine literally said (on Vagcom) "very small evap leak detected". Only a $1000? That's chump change......If not for wartranty, mine would easily go over $1500 and I only have 55K on it.
    Cool, THANKS!! But now how do I fix it? New gas cap? And I still wonder why the dealership says that this is a non-functioning light on my car.

4th Gear
    Which dealership are you going to?

Quote Originally Posted by DerrekForreal View Post
    Cool, THANKS!! But now how do I fix it? New gas cap? And I still wonder why the dealership says that this is a non-functioning light on my car.
    Only way to find out is to scan it for the code and try another gas cap. It could be a vapor return line leaking or something, not just a seal on the cap.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCar View Post
    Which dealership are you going to?
    I called the local VW dealership in Eau Claire, WI - I won't actually go there - they have horrible customer service...but I thought I would call to ask what the light is. I have an independent VW mechanic, but he also claims the light does not exist. I am taking it to him tomorrow to have it checked out.

4th Gear
    Ah, ok, if you were closer to Milwaukee I could help you out.

trusdt me it is a very functioning light. Why would the light come on for no reason and at the same time on my '04 the MFD would say "Check Gas Cap"? Can't be coincidence. I guarantee you, it will have some kind of evap code if that light is on........well almost %100 sure......

3rd Gear
    If the gas cap was not tightened all the way, the light will turn on, and you can remedy this by tightening the cap all the way. It may take a couple of starts to reset the light, but if the cap is good, the light will turn off by itself.

If the light doesn't turn off by itself, the cap may be bad.

And I don't think all B5.5's have this light, hence the confusion at the dealership.

2nd Gear
    Autozone sounds like a good idea by Step@, you get the trouble code and a good description of the issue.
    I have the VAG Cable and free beta Software from Ross Tech.
    My location is Somerset WI

Neutral
    Thanks to all - but I am trading in my Passat. I have had enough - good riddance to a thorn in my side. Unfortuantely, this has soured me from ever wanting to own another VW/Audi. I wish you all the best of luck.

4th Gear
    Don't blame you. I've put over $2000 into my '00 with <60k miles on it since I bought it a year and a half ago, and it's still giving me grief.

Too bad you don't get the same 'feel' from a Japanese car.

Either someone did not do their research on German cars in general before purchase, or have always had a trouble free car. I researched, knew about the common German engineering issues, and bought my first two VAG cars ever within a month of each other. I knew I could end up spending massive amounts of money should something go wrong. Just hoped it would not happen and took preventative measures.

Sorry for your luck, it's too bad you are writing off all VAG cars because of your one "bad" experience.

3rd Gear
    Hmm, making assumptions of a car brand from a 4 year old used car, of which you probably didn't know the maintenance history....

It's definitely more maintenance intensive than other brands, but my '02 sure is still fun to drive!

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information