STOP no oil pressure light intermittent on 2000 V6 Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

STOP no oil pressure light intermittent on 2000 V6 Passat

I've read a lot about the sludge problem with 1.8t motors.

My question is are the V6's subject to the same problem? How can you diagnose?

I have a VAG-COM can it tell me if I really have oil pressure even if the STOP light indicator says I don't?

Also, I just got the car back from the repair shop. They replaced right axleshaft,
    both struts and the rear shocks. Is there anything they could have left disconnected in the areas they were working on that might cause the STOP no oil pressure light?

Thanks for any help provided.

Great Forum

Jim Austin
    Houston, TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    V6 does not have a sludge problem. There is only an oil pressure switch whick triggers at about 20 psi. Thus, you cannot meassure oil pressure with VAG-COM.

I believe the switch is near the oil filter/cooler. Check to see if the connector is on. Is your oil level okay? If yes and the light is still on then you may want to buy a gauge and check the oil pressure. It could be a bad pressure switch.

3rd Gear
    I would doubt sludge on the V6 too. Does the light come on when idling and go off as the engine speeds up? Do you have a million miles on it?

Neutral
    Hey thanks for the responses. The car has about 150K on it. Engine is very smooth, runs good never had a problem. The light comes on after a short drive then goes on and off intermittently.

3rd Gear
    I'd verify the pressure switch is working first and after that, I think you'll end up having to pull the oil pan to check out the oil pump. It could be crap plugging up the intake screen, but if the swith is OK, my bet is that the pump is worn out and has trouble keeping pressure once the oil warms and thins.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information