oil pickups
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil pickups

1st Gear

oil pickups

well i got my pan off and found cruddy turds in the pickup screen.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/504185643vHLHyY

have any of you guys heard of a bigger pickup tube, and updated part #? i called the dealer they said no way

some online vw parts stores have a pickup for 18 bucks, not too bad. i should just get a new one 'cause this looks impossible to clean.

also my pan had no gasket on it, just sealer. is that correct or should i get a gasket?
    gaskets are listed for every engine but my AUG, so maybe its not supposed to have one

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    The intake screen is within the focal length of the lens, but we get the picture. Considering all the labor to get whre you are at, replace both the oil pump and intake. Sorry, cannot answer the gasket question.

1st Gear
    but if this crud stopped at the screen, it couldnt have gotten into the pump. even if it did, the pump would just crush it all up into movable particles, right?
    (im kinda on the cheap right now, even though i want it fixed right i dont wanna change any unnecessary parts)

i mean, the dealers arent changing pumps are they?

4th Gear
    No, the dealer will not change the oil pump on a 2001 just the pickup tube and screen but they will replace the oil lines to the turbo and the pcv lines and valve.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    No, the dealer will not change the oil pump on a 2001 just the pickup tube and screen but they will replace the oil lines to the turbo and the pcv lines and valve.
    is that because only the AUG engines have a removable pickup tube? i saw a pic of an oil pump for 1.8's that looked diff. then mine, and had a long attached tube on it.
    do the turbo oil lines run in front of the engine, over to the turbo? i havent gotten down in there too far yet, i did find coolant lines though

4th Gear
    I believe that is the case on the aeb and atw - no removable tube so since I guess you can't clean the coke out of the tube you have to replace the pump. Don't have a 1.8t so don't know where the turbo lines run.

3rd Gear
    Bently shows removable oil pickups for the AEB, ATW, AUG and AWM. Instructions for installing the AUG/AWM oil pan say use silicone sealant.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Bently shows removable oil pickups for the AEB, ATW, AUG and AWM. Instructions for installing the AUG/AWM oil pan say use silicone sealant.
    thanks for the info.

im getting mixed info from different guys, some say just do the pickup and call it a day, others are saying if the light came on change the motor.... i think i feel comfortable with just doing the pickup and checking the pcv and turbo lines for clogging. i dont think they will be very clogged, if at all.
    for the most part this engine looks ok (compared to some i;ve seen http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3458002)

i cleaned out some crusty coke charcoaly-stuff but there is no sticky sludge goo that you will see on the engines that never had oil changes in their life

i came across a discussion on this subject over on vwvortex and the guys there are arguing over the difference in oil pan capacity from jetta 1.8 to passat 1.8, and saying that the oil capacity has nothing to do with this problem. i've talked personally to VW techs and they have said that the passat was built with a pan thats too small. you dont hear too much about jettas getting sludged, so i think there is a flaw in the design of the passat oiling system

Neutral
    majik

You've done well to drop the pan. IMHO all the "super flush-0-matic" miracle cleaner in the world is not going to remove the stuff than cloggs these oil screens. But, if you catch it soon enough there can be plenty of good miles left in the engine.

One that I worked on looked exaclty like yours

http://mysite.verizon.net/jecalhoun/id6.html (scroll down to last two pics)

I left this in a heated ultra sonic cleaner with 100% LPS Precision Clean for 4 hours and it removed about 1/3 of the crud. The stuff is like coffee grounds, hard as sand and very insoluable!

I checked the clearances on the oil pump from this engine and it was fine - lots of life left. There was some scoring on the main bearings but it was still servicable and the head was fine.

My advice is to install a new pick up, use 20-50 synthetic oil (or the stuff for older cars) and the big oil filter and just run the thing. It might last a good long time and if it doesn't you were fucked already anyway.

J.C

1st Gear
    man, nasty motor there. do you happen to have the old engine still? i need the oil windage tray, mine cracked when i pulled off the pan. the dealer wants 50 bucks which isnt bad compared to paying somebody 1000.00 to fix the car, but if one of you guys on the board here has one and live close (north royalton ohio) i would buy a used one. im thinkin maybe since you threw a rod that your windage tray got mangled, too, but let me know either way

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Yes, it is removable but ETKA does not show a separate part number for the suction pipe for the AEB and ATW. So you must have to buy the oil pump complete with suction tube. ETKA does show a part number for the AWM. So I guess VW does not try to clean the screen of sludge, they just replace the pump on the AEBs and the suction tube on the AWMs when the screen is coked up.

2nd Gear
    There has been speak of just removing the screen. Considering it is the source of the low oil pressure problems, I will be removing mine if the pressure comes up low. I install the gauge this weekend. AUG also.

1st Gear
    isnt it kinda shady to take that screen out? i mean it is there to keep any debris outta the pump. as long as the turbo turds are eliminated i dont see a problem with keeping the screen. every oil pump pickup i've seen has some sort of screen on it.

2nd Gear
    When I replaced my oil pump in '04 due to turbo turds, I wrapped the whole oil pickup tube in a wire mesh pillow and wired it shut around the tube back end. What that does is present a very large surface area pre-filter. Zero problems with oil pressure so at least it doesn't seem to have done any harm.

Neutral
    If you want to clean out the carbon, make up a solution of sodium hydroxide and water. Immerse the part in the solution until the carbon is dissolved. Rinse well, this stuff will dissolve skin if you're not careful, but works wonders on carbon.

1st Gear
    where can you get sodium hydroxide? i couldnt think of anything that could break up this carbon. so i just bought a new pickup.

1st Gear
    got all the parts and put it together tonight, the crappiest part of the whole job was trying to get the pan up in there around the subframe without messing up the silicone gasket maker. would've been nicer with a gasket, i dunno why vw didnt use a gasket on these. of course after the fact i thought i could have put the silicone on the block instead of the pan, but whatever, the cars all together and i have oil pressure!!

6th Grade
    I like peterman's idea quite a bit. I probably would cruise the intrawebs to find whatever engine has a HUGE pickup for not much money and weld it to the stock VW tube. Or peterman's idea, the more I think about it.

And there is no reason not to spend an hour with a sharp pick and clean the stock pickup rather than replace it. I have done this and they come out just fine. The only reason we didn't do this in the shop is that an hour of my time to do a proper cleaning cost more than a new pickup.....

Neutral
    Majik,

Nice work, I bet the thing works fine for a long time now.

J.C

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I like peterman's idea quite a bit. I probably would cruise the intrawebs to find whatever engine has a HUGE pickup for not much money and weld it to the stock VW tube. Or peterman's idea, the more I think about it.

And there is no reason not to spend an hour with a sharp pick and clean the stock pickup rather than replace it. I have done this and they come out just fine. The only reason we didn't do this in the shop is that an hour of my time to do a proper cleaning cost more than a new pickup.....
    i was gonna do that, i actually spent a little time with a butane torch burning the coke out, but at first i thought i needed to get all the way into the small crevices in the outside circumference of the screen, but now looking at the new one i can tell that the opening is only the size of the metal tubing. oh well, only 20 bucks for the new one. it was nice to start that engine up and not hear the valvetrain cryin for oil!!

22. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information