98 1.8T Tiptronic won't go into Park won't move
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

98 1.8T Tiptronic won't go into Park won't move

Hello All,

I have a 98 1.8t with a tiptronic and 138K miles that has had some shifter issues. They initally began when I would have trouble switching back and forth from manual to automatic mode. The linkage would feel like it was obstructed. After switching back in forth a few times things would seem to "fall into place" and work normally. The issues now however have gotten progressively worse. I began having problems shifting into and out of park (again it would feel like there was some kind of mechanical obstruction in the linkage) then for some unknown reason things would seem to "fall into place" and work normally a few times. But recently things have begun to get worse to the point now that I have to force the shifter into the park position in order to remove the key, but the vehicle never actually goes into park. The display shows that it will go from R all the way down to 2, but none of the gears actually engage and the car will not move under its own power. I have to start in neutral and the neutral safety switch seems to work. The little light with the foot goes on and off and I am allowed to move the gear selector from N to D. Still though the car won't move. It ran fine all the way into my driveway after a 10 minute trip, but would not shift into park and now won't move forward or backward. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you resolve it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    tranny is probably dead.
    *maybe* a fluid change might help, you might have been leaking fluid and are low.

Neutral
    Possible I guess, but that would surprise me. It has been running fine. No slippage no problems when upshifting or downwnshifting. The only issue has been it is physically difficult to move the gear selector into and out of park. It literally ran perfectly on my entire ride home. Then I could not move the gear selector into park. I'll admit I tried ramming it into park a few times.

Any other theories out there?

1st Gear
    you could try to find a used gear box at a juck yard to see if that fixes the problem. Hopefully is just a linkage issue with gearbox and not the tranny

2nd Gear
    is there a motion sensor which prevents you engaging park - if it thinks you are moving? (just an idiots guess)

3rd Gear
    find a vag com and pull codes

PassatWorld Staff
    Codes would be good and would eliminate the possiblity of a tranny malfunction, but this really sounds like a physical linkage problem to me. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and get some help tracing the linkage and finding out where it binds. It's also possible that the Park/Neutral lockout switch has failed in some way - again, a mechanical problem.

Neutral
    Thanks Rusty
    I agree most with your theory so far. The things that I am unsure of are

1) Is there something internal to the transmission that, if broken, would make it difficult to shift into and out of park?

2) If I use the write up on floppy shifter repair am I going to get access to the top/side of the transmission were the shifter connects to the transmission?

My theory is that there is some kind of cable or lever that has come loose, but having never seen one of these tranny's apart or disassembled I am hesitant to start taking it all apart without a good idea that I am headed in the right direction.

Diagrams would be helpful if anyone has one. I've searched around a fair amount but can't seem to find anything that shows where/how the shifter and tranny meet.
    Last edited by ANDYNOM; 08-22-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typos

Neutral
    Well I used the write up on sloppy shifter repair and took the top of the shifter apart. It appears to be operating properly. Unfortunately I still cannot engage park or any other gear for that matter. I can visually confirm that the lever on the side of the transmission moves as the shifter moves but it will not move all the way forward to the park position even if someone inside pushes the gear selector towards park while I physically try to pull the lever on the transmission towards park from under the car. I am able to push/force the gear selector all the way up to what should be park in order to remove the key, but its clear that I am forcing the gear selector only. The digital readout still shows the car in reverse and the car still rolls. The digital read out shows correctly for all positions Reverse thru 2 except for park. It also displays dark on a light background indicating that its not in limp mode.

As far as the the park/neutral switch is concerned, assuming I understand correctly (its part of the shifter assembly one little tooth that attaches to a solenoid and moves in and out when the brake is depressed), I can clearly see it move away form the shifter assembly presumably allowing the user to engage park but still I can't engage park. Am I missing a second part of this mechanism that is internal to the transmission?

For what its worth, today I also drained approximately 3.5 liters of the factory ATF out of the 8mm hex drain plug so I am assuming that there was enough fluid in there for the transmission to operate at some level. In fact it was running quite well right up until the second I stopped in my driveway and tried to put it in park. I also was under the impression that engaging park was more mechanical than hydraulic, but I certainly would defer to someone with greater knowledge than I on this or any other issue.

I am at a loss and need help. I am hoping for someone who has hands on experience with the transmissions will read this and be able to offer some advice. Please?

4th Gear
    Can you see if the multi-function switch is rotating the shift rod in the transmission? If not, remove the switch and inspect the splines in the switch. Have you done a VAG-COM scan of the TCM? The fact that the display shows the proper gear would indicate that the switch contacts are relaying the proper switch status to the TCM and then to the cluster. Also, have you tried to adjust the cable from the shift lever at the switch? Once the cable is removed, the gear shift lever should move freely. Then, you should be able to move the selector shaft on the switch to the P position and the wheels should not rotate (transmission is now in Park). With the gear shift lever in Park (and the brake locking solenoid engaged), reconnect and adjust the cable.

Neutral

Resolution (better late than never)

Thanks for your help all. It turned out to be a shift selector valve. Its a plastic piece that slides in and out of the valve body when you move the selector in the car. Mine was plastic and started to bend over time, making it more difficult to slide in and out of the valve body. Eventually it bound so much (and I rammed the shift lever so hard) that the selector valve became disengaged from the mechanical lever connected to the shift cable. I ended up getting a new selector valve as part of valve body rebuild kit for $150 from a ZF distributor in Atlanta. Unfortunately I could not find the part sold individually anywhere. The new selector valve is alloy instead of plastic so I'm pretty sure I won't have any future issues. Anyway $150 is still a lot cheaper than a trip to the transmission shop and certainly better than needing a new tranny as someone here suggested.

2nd Gear
    Thanks for the update! Glad it wasn't a new trans.

3rd Gear
    It's looking as though I may have AndyNom's problem, with the bad shift selector valve.
    How much valve body dis-assembly (and exactly what) is required to get that part out/in?

4th Gear
    I haven't done that job, and I think it would be unlikely that you would get a response from the OP of a 7 year old thread.
    These links might help.

ATF & Filter change.
    taligentx.com: Passat - ATF & Filter Replacement

Mister T
    5HP-19FL valve body rebuild DIY

Mister T
    Tiptronic 5HP-19 5HP-24 technical articles

3rd Gear
    Thanks Tomvw. I hadn't seen some of the links in T's technical articles.

I'm planning to replace my selector valve next weekend, after parts get here. Cast-anodized aluminum latest version, rather than the plastic one in there now, ~$30 including shipping. I was planning a pan drop fluid change anyway -- glad this didn't happen right after, or I would have thought that it was my fault.

I'm thinking that it just might be possible to do it without pulling the valve body. If I can find some slightly longer screws, I can maybe put in a couple holding the lower front body to the plate/upper, and drop the lower front enough to slide the selector out/in. I need to find out from someone whether a bunch of parts will drop out through the valve body spacer plate, before I try that.
    Last edited by Attofarad; 04-17-2014 at 01:46 PM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information