Trunk latch spring broke and came out ...trunk doesn't close.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Trunk latch spring broke and came out ...trunk doesn't close.

A very tiny (1cm) spring broke and came out from the small trunk latch. The trunk will no longer close and catch or lock. Does anyone know where to purchase that small spring and how to put it back? THANKS! 2002 V6 B5.5 Passat

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Are you sure the spring broke? My car it just fell off its mount hook.

Remove the trunk lid cover, remove the latch, then put the spring back on with small needlenose pliers

1st Gear
    Good question Turtle.....One side of the spring is curled but the other side is straight and shorter....that just made me think that it was broken too ( that there should be a curled portion on the other side too)...it may not be. How do you remove the trunk lid cover? I will check that out. Thanks....great advice Turtle!

3rd Gear
    You have to buy the latch assembly...or, as in my case, I took the latch apart and locktited the end of the spring in place...still good after 5+ years! I think the assy runs about $70 or so.

3rd Gear
    look at these photos
    Trunk Latch Broken

1st Gear
    The photos help...thanks. I am having trouble removing the trunk cover trim ....any help there? Thanks a lot !!! If there are screws ...are they Allen wrench types or Phillips or flat.!?

3rd Gear
    Torx. Probably a 15 or 20 size.

1st Gear
    I now have most....yes only most, of the trunk cover trim loosened. It is still attached near the hand recess on the right side.....I do not know how to release that portion. I am afraid to pull too hard because it might break. Is there a small screw in the hand recess somewhere. I thought I read there was. Where? Also, what kind of screw head does it have? ...Torx,hex,phillips or flat? Thanks...almost to the latch...getting a little frustrated cause I like my car perfect....Thanks. (By the way the 2 screws under the rubber stops were torx=15.)

3rd Gear
    ?? Not sure. My 2000 didn't have retaining screws there.

1st Gear
    ok...I did it. FYI, the one screw was within the hand recess and it was a torx 15 type. I got the cover off and then proceeded to change the bad latch for a new latch. It was easy . Then I replaced the cover....not as easy because the clips had to line up. Several were squashed and tomorrow I will have to go to yhe dealer and get some replacement clips....then it will be complete. Thanks to you all for your help. Sorry it took me so many questions along the way. Now....if any of you need to exchange your latch....I am the latchologist!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    A very tiny (1cm) spring broke and came out from the small trunk latch. The trunk will no longer close and catch or lock. Does anyone know where to purchase that small spring and how to put it back? THANKS! 2002 V6 B5.5 Passat
    I've seen this question posted several times, and someone on another forum suggested getting a "corona wire spring" form a photocopier repair-man to replace the spring. I too have had this problem and ended up replacing the entire lock mechanism, only to find the spring thereafter at a hardware store .

The spring you are looking for is generally called an "extension spring" (because its potential energy is stored in compressed form) and can be found at a hardware store such as Ace, McClendon Hardware, etc... Home Depot and Lowes generally do not carry these springs since no one ever buys them in large quantities. Expect to pay $2 or less for a suitable spring.

When selecting the spring, the most imporant factor to consider is the tension it can store. The length is not so important as long as you can fit the replacement into the latch when the lock is engaged. If the tension is too high, the lock will not release when opening the boot lid remotely or with your key. If the tension is too low, then the lock will never engage properly.

Bring the broken spring with you the hardware store so you can best match the spring with what is available.
    Last edited by BusRider; 02-21-2012 at 10:24 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information