STOP- check coolant
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

STOP- check coolant

ok well i've had the car for about a month , the car told me to stop and check the coolant.. and servicve manual (the dealership didnt give me a manual) so im sorta of clueless on what i need to do.. does it need to be flushed or just added in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

the deal finder!
    just add coolant. make sure it's g12.

4th Gear
    Check the G12 coolant container and see if its below minimum, if it is, you can use water temporarily and bring it somewhere to get it checked for a leak asap. Could be a faulty hose, water pump leaking, or something else. If you can run to the dealer for the mean time... get the pink stuff (G12 coolant) and mix it with distilled water (check the back of the container for instructions). Hope this helps.

3rd Gear
    The coolant resivoir tank is mounted on the firewall, drivers side. The tank is translucent so you can see through and has min and max lines to assess the proper level. Use only pink G12 coolant in 50/50 mix with water. There is also a wire connector to the level sensor underneath the tank. If level looks good the problem may be a loose connection here.

Neutral
    Hi-

I have a 2000 B5.

The "STOP - Check Coolant" light came on while I was driving home with a bunch of groceries (this is relevant -- see below!). The temp gauge also pinned at 260. The coolant level did look very low so I started to uncap the reservoir, then thought better of it. Liquid started to bubble up and there was steam or smoke (hard to tell since it was raining very hard at the time).

I waited a few minutes. The coolant level rose to Max, so I thought maybe it was a fluke, a stuck gauge or something. I'd added coolant not long ago. I started the engine again and drove a bit. The temp looked normal at first, but shortly it rose again, pinned at the highest temp, and the STOP light came back on.

I was about 4 miles from home, and I couldn't afford to lose the groceries I'd just bought, so I continued on. When I stopped there was what I think was steam coming out of the hood. It might have been smoke, but again it was hard to tell in the pouring rain.

My question is, since I'm obviously going to have to take it to my car guy, does it sound like it's safe to drive < 8 miles in this condition? I'm currently unemployed, and I want to avoid a tow charge if possible. OTOH, I don't want my car to catch fire!

Thanks very much-

-Susan

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
    Hi-

I have a 2000 B5.

The "STOP - Check Coolant" light came on while I was driving home with a bunch of groceries (this is relevant -- see below!). The temp gauge also pinned at 260. The coolant level did look very low so I started to uncap the reservoir, then thought better of it. Liquid started to bubble up and there was steam or smoke (hard to tell since it was raining very hard at the time).

I waited a few minutes. The coolant level rose to Max, so I thought maybe it was a fluke, a stuck gauge or something. I'd added coolant not long ago. I started the engine again and drove a bit. The temp looked normal at first, but shortly it rose again, pinned at the highest temp, and the STOP light came back on.

I was about 4 miles from home, and I couldn't afford to lose the groceries I'd just bought, so I continued on. When I stopped there was what I think was steam coming out of the hood. It might have been smoke, but again it was hard to tell in the pouring rain.

My question is, since I'm obviously going to have to take it to my car guy, does it sound like it's safe to drive < 8 miles in this condition? I'm currently unemployed, and I want to avoid a tow charge if possible. OTOH, I don't want my car to catch fire!

Thanks very much-

-Susan
    This is the answer to the thread jack question:

Stock water pump blew the plastic impellar same thing that happened to me. Same exact sequence of events too, driving very normally on the way home from golfing with a buddy. Same thing happened, I pulled over, it went down, started to go again, slowly rose up, no coolant level difference but it boiled and steamed. Same situation. I as well drove it home about 2 miles tho and had it towed from there. I just made sure to only get up to speed and then coast in neutral keeping RPMs LOWWWWWW.

I replaced it with an aftermarket metal impellar pump because the stock ones have a plastic piece of junk impellar inside that likes the break. =D

Hope that helps, I would also have the car towed IMO, This will prob cost you around 800 dollars to fix, 200+ for the pump and a quoted 5 or more hours for the labor.. or if you have a bunch of VW enthusiats around your area that are willing to make the trip to do an emergency WP install. I'm sure that would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Most us guys work for beer and samiches (yea I know I spelled it wrong on purpose cause it sounds better to say it like that)

Neutral
    Hi gotmag-

Thanks very much for the reply!

P.S. "This is the answer to the thread jack question"
    Did I post this in the wrong place? Sorry if so. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, if that's what you're saying. I figured since I found this one I shouldn't start a new one with the same subject.

-Susan

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmag View Post
    This is the answer to the thread jack question:

Stock water pump blew the plastic impellar same thing that happened to me. Same exact sequence of events too, driving very normally on the way home from golfing with a buddy. Same thing happened, I pulled over, it went down, started to go again, slowly rose up, no coolant level difference but it boiled and steamed. Same situation. I as well drove it home about 2 miles tho and had it towed from there. I just made sure to only get up to speed and then coast in neutral keeping RPMs LOWWWWWW.

I replaced it with an aftermarket metal impellar pump because the stock ones have a plastic piece of junk impellar inside that likes the break. =D

Hope that helps, I would also have the car towed IMO, This will prob cost you around 800 dollars to fix, 200+ for the pump and a quoted 5 or more hours for the labor.. or if you have a bunch of VW enthusiats around your area that are willing to make the trip to do an emergency WP install. I'm sure that would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Most us guys work for beer and samiches (yea I know I spelled it wrong on purpose cause it sounds better to say it like that)
    except her coolant level did change, she said it was very low, and only rose when she opened the bottle. A blown impeller alone will not drop the level in the bottle. The level didn't magically rise because she did, in fact, have the proper level of coolant, it rose because she opened the cap on a hot engine. When it cools completely off, I bet she'll find the bottle near empty again.

Neutral
    Hi Dave-
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    When it cools completely off, I bet she'll find the bottle near empty again.
    So if that's true and I fill it again, do you think it would it be safe to drive the 7.9 miles to my auto shop? I don't want to be foolish about this, but even $800 is a pretty scary number right now.

Thanks-

-Susan

3rd Gear
    x2
    Here are some humble comments on Susan G's post
    The "STOP - Check Coolant" light came on while I was driving home with a bunch of groceries (this is relevant -- see below!). The temp gauge also pinned at 260.
    Years ago and even today they had a thing called idiot lights and if one came on you were supposed to stop and check the problem.
    VW has even put a big red
    STOP in the window to tell you to stop for a reason.

The coolant level did look very low so I started to uncap the reservoir, then thought better of it. Liquid started to bubble up and there was steam or smoke (hard to tell since it was raining very hard at the time).
    I waited a few minutes. The coolant level rose to Max, so I thought maybe it was a fluke, a stuck gauge or something.
    As TheAmazingDave said, the system boiled over because it was HOT and boiling, just like water boiling over on a stove. Nothing is a fluke when coolant comes out of a car, it can't magically reappear, it was way to low to proceed.
    I'd added coolant not long ago.
    You have a leak and need to get it fixed.
    The temp looked normal at first, but shortly it rose again, pinned at the highest temp, and the STOP light came back on.
    I was about 4 miles from home, and I couldn't afford to lose the groceries I'd just bought, so I continued on.
    $20 worth of frozen food vs $3,000 for a possible engine job...hmmmm?
    does it sound like it's safe to drive < 8 miles in this condition?
    Absolutely not. I understand unemployed but you are risking some terribly expensive repairs trying to save $40.
    I feel your pain but if you have only had this car for a month, why not call the dealer and ask them for some assistance with your problems? Most cars have some kind of warranty even if it's only 30 days.

Neutral
    I feel your pain but if you have only had this car for a month
    I'm not the OP. I've had this car for almost 10 years.

Thanks very much for your comments, though!

-Susan

3rd Gear
    I'm not the OP. I've had this car for almost 10 years.

Thanks very much for your comments, though!

-Susan
    Oops, sorry Susan. Guess I need to clean my glasses....again.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    Oops, sorry Susan. Guess I need to clean my glasses....again.
    LOL, not a problem! In some forums it's bad etiquette to piggy-back on a thread; in others it's considered bad form to start a new one with the same subject. I just rolled the dice on this one!

I had my car towed yesterday and if I don't hear back shortly I'll call for an update. All digits crossed it won't be a huge deal, but I appreciate having the info I've gotten from this thread so at least I can ask some intelligent questions.

Thanks-

-Susan

2nd Gear
    Sorry wasn't meaning to be rude about the thread jack thing,

But I did not see you were low on coolant, looks like you may have a leak as others stated, in which case your pump may be ok! The dealer should be able to tell you more

3rd Gear
    I had my car towed yesterday and if I don't hear back shortly I'll call for an update. All digits crossed it won't be a huge deal, but I appreciate having the info I've gotten from this thread so at least I can ask some intelligent questions.
    Thanks-
    -Susan
    With any luck it will be something simple and cheap like a rad hose, heater hose. Crossed digits for ya!

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information