turbo problems with 1.8t
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

turbo problems with 1.8t

Hi, I am new to the scene and I have had my passat for a short while. I've had the car and believe that the power is not up to par. The car struggles up hills and lacks any torque. I commonly have to downshift sometimes to third gear up less than steep hills on the interstate. The car has little power to pull off from a stand still as well. I thought it was the turbo so I have tried to fix the most common problems associated with the turbo like replacing the n75 valve as well as replacing the diverter valve all to no avail. I dont know how the car should perform, but I think it should perform better than it does now. It is stock with only 85,000 miles. I also noticed that it really does not have any noticable turbo noise all though I know these engines run at little boost. I dont think the turbo is completley non operational or else the car would be practically non drivable. One last thing, the car has displayed a engine code. I cant quite remember verbatim but I believe it was turbo boost flucuation sporatic overboost or something of that sort. It seems quite the contrary considering the car has little power. Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    On my aeb the valve inside the exhaust sided turbine aka the waste gate is broken off...

So I pretty much get no boost and my cars is pathetically weak until about 5k rpm when the turbo prolly pushes a psi or two...

I already got a good K03 that hopefully will be in this upcoming week or so~

But before I put it in I already bought a boost gauge so I want to put that on to see what and when im actually boosting.

Neutral
    This sounds alot like my problem, do you think that even though I replaced the diverter valve the waste gate on the turbo could be broken?

4th Gear
    get a boost gauge and you'll know for sure how much boost you're pushing. It's cheap and if you do further mods it will be handy to have.

1st Gear
    my car didnt move and felt so slow.. and then wen i changed my n75!! my power was back..

Neutral
    Well I already replaced my n75 valve and that didnt help. Tested the valve and the old one was okay. I have a boost gauge on the way so we will see what kind of pressure the turbo is putting out.

Neutral
    I thought this might help those who understand engine fault codes. The last couple times i used the vag this code continued to show up even though the fault codes were cleared. It showed this code:

17965/P1557/163 or Charge pressure control: Positive deviation.

I believe this is the culprit to my 1.8t woes. If any one has any advice on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it. I have a suspicion that this would set the car into "limp mode" and that is the reason why I have little power. The car is a 98 b5 1.8t stock with no modifications Help!!!

Neutral
    Can the MAF cause this fault code without the fault code for a MAF showing up?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by wcuslayer View Post
    17965/P1557/163 or Charge pressure control: Positive deviation.

I believe this is the culprit to my 1.8t woes. If any one has any advice on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it. I have a suspicion that this would set the car into "limp mode" and that is the reason why I have little power. The car is a 98 b5 1.8t stock with no modifications Help!!!
    I think you're correct about limp mode, if the charge pressure goes too high the ECU will probably freak and limp to avoid detonation. And yes, the codes will come back as long as the problem persists. As to what could be causing it, I'm not an expert on turbos but it seems generally it could be a) the wastegate not working correctly so the turbo spins out of control, or b) the charge pressure measurement is wrong. How to proceed? No idea...

PassatWorld Staff
    There's no such thing as "limp" mode on an AEB.

Sounds like your turbo isn't working for some reason.

When the car is cold, squeeze you fingers down to the wastegate rod and try to wiggle it. If it wiggles, you have a bad wastegate. At 85K, you should jsut replace the whole turbo, not just the wastegate.

If it doesn't wiggle, then disconnect the hose going to your wastegate. This will give you full boost with no control from the ECU, so drive gently. If you still have no power after this, then you definitely have a bad turbo. Or a massive boost leak.

Check Block 032 with your VAG-COM. Those are your fuel trims. Note them, and post them here. If you have a boost (or vac) leak, that should show up in the fuel trims.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    There's no such thing as "limp" mode on an AEB.
    Really, I didn't know that. On the other hand, how do you know he (the OP) has an AEB? NM -- found it now... ;-)

1st Gear
    I had the same problem couple of months ago. The wastegate rod seemed fine so i disconnected the hose going to the wastegate. I was still boosting 3-4lbs with a chipped ecu. Changed my Cat and everything back to normal. The cat was broken inside , and it was blocking my exhaust.

1st Gear
    X2 on the cat. problem

Neutral
    What does AEB mean and where is the wastegate rod?

PassatWorld Staff
    AEB is your engine code. That tells you what type of engine you have, as far as exact mechanical and electrical configuration.

The wastegate rod goes from the wastegate actuator to the wastegate. Really no way to describe what it looks like without a picture, and I don't have one...

Neutral
    What year is your car?
    I ditto the cat issue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zx12passat View Post
    What year is your car?
    I ditto the cat issue.
    How bout we encourage the OP to check the stuff that DOESN'T take hours to take apart and look at?

Banned
    AEB is your engine code. That tells you what type of engine you have, as far as exact mechanical and electrical configuration.

The wastegate rod goes from the wastegate actuator to the wastegate. Really no way to describe what it looks like without a picture, and I don't have one...
    The wastegate actuator is a brass cylinder on the front of the turbo, on the side closest to the engine. (Those pesky engineers never think to leave room for hands, do they?) There is a small tube going from the N75 valve to the wastegate actuator. First, reach around the back of the actuator and try to wiggle the rod coming out the back of it (you'll probably need to get under the car to reach), and as Rusty said, if it moves then the actuator is busted, and if it isn't then you should disconnect the little tube on the front of the actuator and see if you get more boost. If the actuator isn't broken and the boost doesn't get better when you disconnect the tube, then your turbo is dead or your catalytic converter is clogged. Either way, you'll have to start torching bolts to fix the problem, because the turbo and the catcon are directly attached to each other.

PassatWorld Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    The wastegate actuator is a brass cylinder on the front of the turbo, on the side closest to the engine. (Those pesky engineers never think to leave room for hands, do they?) There is a small tube going from the N75 valve to the wastegate actuator. First, reach around the back of the actuator and try to wiggle the rod coming out the back of it (you'll probably need to get under the car to reach), and as Rusty said, if it moves then the actuator is busted, and if it isn't then you should disconnect the little tube on the front of the actuator and see if you get more boost. If the actuator isn't broken and the boost doesn't get better when you disconnect the tube, then your turbo is dead or your catalytic converter is clogged. Either way, you'll have to start torching bolts to fix the problem, because the turbo and the catcon are directly attached to each other.
    Thanks for the good description.

2nd Gear
    Might have similar issues on my AEB, will try the wastegate check this weekend. How would you know if it's a bad cat? Would you get a CEL?

1st Gear

Banned
    Hey Almighty, I was just thinking...you should have someone weld a plate over top of the wastegate hole in your K03, and use the diverter exclusively to control your boost pressure. That would be a fun experiment!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    How bout we encourage the OP to check the stuff that DOESN'T take hours to take apart and look at?
    How bout I reply to personal experience. I had a clogged cat and had similar symptoms. Doesn't mean that it is a bad cat, just a potential area to keep in mind.
    And knowing the year would be helpful.

1st Gear
    My car also smokes at idle wich really sucks.

We figure its the turbo since its screwed up anyways~

And I already bought a good K03.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zx12passat View Post
    How bout I reply to personal experience. I had a clogged cat and had similar symptoms. Doesn't mean that it is a bad cat, just a potential area to keep in mind.
    And knowing the year would be helpful.
    I worded my response poorly. I meant to add "...first" to the end of the sentence. You're right, it could certainly be a clogged catalytic converter, but since there are other, more likely causes that take much less effort to diagnose, it would be better to say "and if those other ideas don't work, check the cat because it could be clogged like mine was."

</lecture>

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by my1stturbo View Post
    Might have similar issues on my AEB, will try the wastegate check this weekend. How would you know if it's a bad cat? Would you get a CEL?
    I don't see the answer to this question, so I'll ask.

Will a clogged/failing cat always give a code?

1st Gear

theres a vid on youtube if anyone of you wana see a waste gate or see how it works here it is http://youtube.com/watch?v=LStlqe64m4M

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information