Hit bump get rattling in passenger tire well
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Hit bump get rattling in passenger tire well

Okay, I replaced my CV Axle because of popping etc. on the passenger side today (see prev. post Passenger Side Clicking/Tapping When Turning - CV Joint?. It fixed the clicking or popping sound during turns but I still have this rattling sound when I hit a bump on the road. This was there before I replaced the cv axle so it's not a new sound. I was hoping the cv axle would fix all the noises I heard. It's pretty darn loud and it seems to happen pretty much every time I hit a bump etc. When I kick the tire from the front of the car on the tread say around 2 oclock I can hear this rattle also. I've kicked the tire in other possitions and can't reproduce it in any place but around 2 oclock. I've taken the tire off and tried to tap stuff with a rubber mallet to see if I could tell where it is but have no luck reproducting it unless the tire is present. The tire is seated on the rotor nice and tight and the rotor (with help from a friend, needed another set of hands to feel around for the rattle) isn't moving or rattling when the tire is kicked.

Is this some other joint rattling? If so which one and how do I check it? Also links to replacing or working on the other joints is appreciated.

2000 Passat v6 automatic.

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Anyone have any ideas on this one?

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not a joint. I'll tell you "exactly" what it is. Well, at least it was on mine....many times.
    Your inner brake pad. The clip on the back of the pad has broken free or off completely, so now the pad is rattling around within the caliper. Take off the wheel, pull the pad from the back side and you'll be able to spin the clip on the back like a top.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by R36Dreams View Post
    It's not a joint. I'll tell you "exactly" what it is. Well, at least it was on mine....many times.
    Your inner brake pad. The clip on the back of the pad has broken free or off completely, so now the pad is rattling around within the caliper. Take off the wheel, pull the pad from the back side and you'll be able to spin the clip on the back like a top.
    You know, I bet you're right. It would make the sound I'm hearing for sure. I have lifetime pads so if that's the case, I'll be getting a new set. I'll pull it off later today and take a look. Thanks for the info.

What time is Matlock on?
    Yeah James, but he hears it WHEN he kicks the tire too......my pad rattles like CRAP, but only over bumps and stuff, and:

but have no luck reproducting it unless the tire is present
    Wouldn't that be closer to at TRE?

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got the rattle by kicking the tire as well.
    I bought aftermarket pads from a group buy on here. Ended up doing two warranty returns. Gave up after the third set started doing it and learned to ignore it.
    But eventually the pad seperated from the clip and would rattle around even on semi-rough roads and if I tapped the brakes when going slow, I could hear them clank against the caliper.

4th Gear
    On mine I get a rattle when I hit bumps it's the end links. The U shaped with two bolts. Like sway bar end links, I hope I make sense, but that's what it was on mine.

What time is Matlock on?
    Huh....I stand corrected then. I guess my rattling isn't that bad after all. At least you don't have to worry about that anymore with your new B6 huh

Neutral
    Well, it wasn't the pads. They are all nice and solid. So I guess it's one of the CA's or a TRE. Either way it's just going to have to keep rattling awhile as I'm not fixing anything else until next month.

But if anyone has more ideas please post them. Thanks.

PZ
    Redline
    An easy way to check if it is brake related is to take it on a bumpy road (or run over the bots dots we have down here) and step on the brake to see if the noise stops. It could be the pads or it could be the caliper moving. A new caliper spring or new caliper bushings may be needed.

3rd Gear
    2nd PZ ^^^

I had a loose brake retaining spring spring both rattle as well
    as making the caliper make "clunking" noises over rough pavement.
    I couldn't pinpoint it for the longest time... my mechanic found it.
    $5 part, doh!

Neutral
    I'm 100% sure it's nothing to do with the brakes or callipers. After listening really hard, I can hear the same sound coming from the drivers side too. I've checked the breaks on both sides and tapped the callipers and rotor with a rubber mallet. No rattling. Gotta be something else.

3rd Gear
    I've recently had work on my '98 for noises from the suspension over bumps. I haven't tried kicking the tires, don't know if that would give me the noise or not.

For me it started with a squeak and is now just a rattle. First my CV boot went, THEN I got the squeak and rattle.

I just got the car back yesterday from the dealer with new tie rod ends and control arms (thank you, extended warranty!) but unfortunately the rattle is STILL there.

Let me know if you figure out what is going on!

1st Gear
    I am going to say sway bar links

Neutral
    Broken shock. I test drove a used Audi S4, everything was great until I hit a couple of bumps, sounded real bad. Put the car on a lift, found a broken right front shock.

Neutral
    Wow - I have the same rattling on my left driver side. The cv axles both sides were replaced 6 mos ago - so not that. So , may be sway bar bushings, brake pads... what to look at. It makes the noise either on on/off accel ( ie little punch of gas then off to "torque" the engine mounts ) or on a pot hole. I'll check for loose bushings and pads I guess. BTW - what's a CA or TRE ?

1st Gear
    I am having this same/similar noise problem of rattle/clicking going over sharp bumps, havent looked closely at the brakes but rotors and pads have been replaced and it was doing it before hand anyhow. I have replaced TRE's and about to do CA's and spring/shocks, however I now think this noise is related to subframe bolts being loose?

Neutral
    Anyone get rid of this yet? I still havn't found the solution yet.

3rd Gear
    I posted back in May (above) and my car is in the shop since Tuesday. Noise never went away and they still can't figure out what it is. I'll try to remember to post here when I get a rattle-free car back.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information