How to replace spark plugs on 01 passat 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to replace spark plugs on 01 passat 1.8T

Hey just need to replace some spark plugs on the passat. I have an 01 1.8T 20v , I guess they are all bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    if you can open the hood on a 1.8t and dont know how to change the sparkplugs then you dont need to be touching anything in the engine bay... leave it to the pros

Founder of the STFA
    First you put the car up on jack stands, then...

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by beatzilla2004 View Post
    Hey just need to replace some spark plugs on the passat. I have an 01 1.8T 20v , I guess they are all bad.
    1. Make sure you have tools to do it(screwdriver flat, 5/8 spark plug socket with rubber insert, 10 extension(make sure its the kind that locks to the socket or you will have issues), Ratchet, Torque wrench, may need a 6mm allen to remove the coilpacks if you have the old style bolt down ones)

2. Open Hood

3. Remove engine cover(the plastic on the top of the motor) its held on my three half twist screws

4. remove coilpack, if you have the type that bolt down you use a 6mm allen, other wise you pull up if you don't see bolts

5.remove spark plug(5/8 socket)

6. Check gap on new plug, make sure to hand thread it in

7. tighten to 22FT lb(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

8 insert coilpack

9. repeat for other 3,

10 put covers back on

11. Fire up the motor, make sure it runs good.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    if you have never changed plugs you must be real careful you dont cross thread the new ones going in.
    are you mechanically inclined?
    do you have tools?
    are you patient?
    if you can answer yes to these then you can do it.

5th Gear
    Be careful when you put the plugs in - gently hand tighten it first, then use the ratchet/torque wrench so you dont cross thread anything. Also put a bit of anti-seize on the threads first.

2nd Gear
    One great tip from the bently manual is to have a piece of rubber hose that can fit over the end of the spark plug. Much easier to place the plug down in the sleeve this way.

Founder of the STFA
    Put the new plugs in using only a spark plug socket and a 6-8" extension to help with the threading alignment. No ratchet. You should almost be able to get them tight enough like this to go straight to the torque wrench.

Purple is , the torque is 22 ft/lbs.

Little thing, but I usually take all four out consecutively, then put all four in. The coilpacks really can't 'be crossed up due to the short leads.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE8T View Post

Purple is , the torque is 22 ft/lbs.

Little thing, but I usually take all four out consecutively, then put all four in. The coilpacks really can't 'be crossed up due to the short leads.
    Same way I do it too, just didn't want to confuse someone new to doing.

Neutral
    this is all really good info, im not mechanically inclined....but new to it and wanna pick it up.

what do you mean by tighten 22ft/lb of torque?

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

you can get a decent one at sears.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    I'd put antisieze on the threads of the new plugs before putting them in. Just a little to keep the steel plug threads from bonding to the aluminum head over time.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

Neutral
    Little problem, i was just going thru the job before i actually do it with the parts...I couldnt unscrew the engine cover because it kept on clicking to a lock back in place, what is the method in taking these special screws off?

Quote Originally Posted by beatzilla2004 View Post
    Little problem, i was just going thru the job before i actually do it with the parts...I couldnt unscrew the engine cover because it kept on clicking to a lock back in place, what is the method in taking these special screws off?
    1/4 turn. they dont unscrew, they unlock.

Overdrive
    IF you wait until tomorrow I will have a right up with pictures.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpassat2.8 View Post
    1/4 turn. they dont unscrew, they unlock.
    Roger that, thanks much!

5th Gear
    A torque wrench is helpful but not required. On the NGK's they had directions as to how to torque them down. Something like - after tightening by hand, turn 1/4 turn with a ratchet, or something similar. It will get them tight enough. Just use common sense and you wont over tighten them.

3rd Gear
    I've also read that you should only change spark plugs when the engine is cold. I let my car sit overnight and changed them in the morning.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    of course you should only change them when cold!!!!!!
    rule of engine work NUMBER ONE.

never change something directly touching,in, or around the engine while it has been freshly run or is hot.

now, all you morons out there can choose not to heed my advice if you decide you don't want to. less contest in the gene pool

Founder of the STFA
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    of course you should only change them when cold!!!!!!
    rule of engine work NUMBER ONE.

never change something directly touching,in, or around the engine while it has been freshly run or is hot.

now, all you morons out there can choose not to heed my advice if you decide you don't want to. less contest in the gene pool
    How did I miss that rule? Seriously, you shouldn't open your coolant reservoir when it's hot or do a turbo swap, but what's the problem with anything else? It depends on what your hands/arms can take. I'd never get anything done if I waited for the car to cool down every time I was tweaking something.

I'd say rule of engine work NUMBER ONE should be don't work on it when it's running.

4th Gear
    make sure you set the gap for the plugs too

this is a DIY guide

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...pperplugs.html

Neutral
    ok spent a good hour today replacing the air filter...saw my corroded check valve...huge hole in it!!! yikes...

When i got to the spark plugs, engine was cool....i couldnt even unplug the coils....what it the trick to those....one was already loose and came off and when i got past that i couldnt even get off the coil! Im reading from the bentley manual....what am i doing wrong?

5th Gear
    On the top of the coil where the wiring plugs into the coil, there should be what looks like a little tab, or slot (forget what it exactly looks like) that acts as a clip that somewhat secures it on. I gently wiggled it with a screwdriver and it loosened up.

Overdrive
    Ya those B5.5 can be tough. Yesterday for fun I timed my self to see how long it would take.
    I use the following tools

Ratchet(wierd swivel type which is faster) with 10" extension and 5/8th plug socket(rubber insert)
    Torque wrench with differnet 10" extension and plug socket

screwdriver

5mm allen for the Coil packs

Feeler gauge

Took me under ten minutes with opening the hood, gap and start up at the end.

1st Gear
    The B5 01's (AUG) coilpacks do not require a 5mm allen wrench. They are held in by friction. You need to carefully pull straight up until they give. But be ready for it to give so you don't bang it when it does go. There may be a harness tie-down clip you will need to remove in order for there to be enough slack to pull up.

Neutral

improper gaps

In the past I never was one to check the gap on new plugs that I put in. I always assumed the quality control at the factory ensures they are properly set . What exactally is the importance of the gap and what will happen if the gap is off? Looking at the DIY writeup that was earlier linked, (http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...pperplugs.html), the plugs in his car were all gaped differently form the factory. What will this do to the performance of the plugs and the engine?

1st Gear
    Really easy, takes 15 mins top

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAUG1.8T View Post
    HAH! yeah, im not a mechanic, but im not mentally challenged either....i cracked one coil harness trying to find which push will release the harness....you got the little hole in the top...thinking maybe if you poke on it, it will unlatch and you can pull...no. Then you got the mechanism in near the wiring that you can either push or pull back thinking maybe that will unlock the harness....Well i tried all and no luck...i will try more tomorrow with maybe better luck. But once i get the harness off i just pull straight up on the coil packs? Do i need to wiggle, twist, or turn? Do i need to be careful of breaking anything?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAUG1.8T View Post
    HAH! yeah, im not a mechanic, but im not mentally challenged either....i cracked one coil harness trying to find which push will release the harness....you got the little hole in the top...thinking maybe if you poke on it, it will unlatch and you can pull...no. Then you got the mechanism in near the wiring that you can either push or pull back thinking maybe that will unlock the harness....Well i tried all and no luck...i will try more tomorrow with maybe better luck. But once i get the harness off i just pull straight up on the coil packs? Do i need to wiggle, twist, or turn? Do i need to be careful of breaking anything?

1st Gear
    Yes the coil pack pop right off, just pull up and you'll hear that little pop noise. Be carefull not to hit the coil pack on the inside of the valve cover.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information