fluid leak front passenger wheel well Transmission fluid ? CV Seal ?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

fluid leak front passenger wheel well Transmission fluid ? CV Seal ?

Today I noticed there was fluid slung all the way around my passenger wheel well. It had a strong smell and A couple of family members suggested that it was transmission fluid and may be from a bad CV seal? any ideas? Is there any write up on how to replace the cv seal? I searched but didn'ta find. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by DANMAN View Post
    Today I noticed there was fluid slung all the way around my passenger wheel well. It had a strong smell and A couple of family members suggested that it was transmission fluid and may be from a bad CV seal? any ideas? Is there any write up on how to replace the cv seal? I searched but didn'ta find. thanks
    You should be able to see if the CV boot is torn. The CV joint contains a special grease not transmission fluid. If there is no damage to the CV joint then you can just replace the boot. Most people will replace the entire axle since to replace the boot you have to basically remove the axle anyways. http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/cvjoints/

4th Gear
    Look inside the wheel. If it's covered in grease, it's a torn boot.

3rd Gear
    Probably torn CV boot as others said.

A strong smell also indicates bearing grease.
    Bearing grease will be thick, goopy and dark grey if not completely
    black in color. Best to get it checked out ASAP to be sure. You cannot
    afford to let this go more than maybe 10 miles IMO... flat bed it if need be.
    Sorry if this scares you, but I'd want the same honesty.

HTH

Neutral
    It doesn't seem to be grease... this fluid is way less viscous and thinner kind of like brake or tranny fluid. not goopy at all. and more clear than grease. the cv boot looks pretty good . maybe brake fluid? I guess i'll have to park er again.

Neutral
    the guy at o'reilly's said they carried (They can order.....)_something called a output shaft seal....has anyone here replaced this?

Neutral
    the strange thing is that the inside of the wheel is dry and the fluid is in a pretty well defined line around the wheel well --- the wheel well is dry starting at the inside edge of the tire .. and dry from the middle of the tire out. does that make sense? in other words the wheel well is wet with fluid only from the inside edge of the tire to about the middle of the tire. everything else is dry... If a brake line had gone it probably would have gone on the wheel and all over the wheel well + the brake fluid level is still good. I'm still kinda stuck on this one. I'm going to feel really silly if i just ran over a puddle of something in the road -- but that would be too easy. I guess I'll clean it off and see if it comes back.

4th Gear
    If it were flung outward it would have to come from something that spins. The brake stuuf doesn't. If enough came out from the brakes to coat the wheel well you'd know it from other symptoms (like inability to stop).

What time is Matlock on?
    If it's not grease, maybe brake fluid like you said....check your brake fluid tank for loss and check the lines. I don't know how that would get "flung" though....clean it REALLY good and watch for it to return...just don't go on any long trips anytime soon.

Definitely not tranny fluid. It wouldn't be just in the wheel well. It would be under the front-center of the car, and most likely it'd be red-ish and stink like you wouldn't believe.

3rd Gear
    This is a bit of a longshot. The final drive gear oil plug is in the right passenger wheel well on a TIP IIRC. Could that possibly have sprung a leak? Does the mess on your wheel look like gear oil; i.e. super thick motor oil, probably like a SAE 75w90 for instance?

Again, just a SWAG, but maybe worth checking.

4th Gear
    Me thinks it also could be the steering rack seal - fluid leaking from there will drip down to the drive shaft and centrifugal force takes over. Have you noticed a change in your steering "feel"?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Feilo View Post
    Me thinks it also could be the steering rack seal - fluid leaking from there will drip down to the drive shaft and centrifugal force takes over. Have you noticed a change in your steering "feel"?
    Good idea. To the OP, how does your PS fluid level look in the reservoir? It doesn't hold but a few ounces, so any leak in the steering system should drop that fluid level below MIN pretty quick.

Note: Proper PS fluid in our cars is green originally, but tends to turn brownish over the years.

4th Gear
    If it is low, top it up. The pump won run long dry. I destroyed one a few years ago. Also, make sure you get the right stuff. Domestic fluid won't work.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoManyPassats View Post
    If it were flung outward it would have to come from something that spins. The brake stuuf doesn't. If enough came out from the brakes to coat the wheel well you'd know it from other symptoms (like inability to stop).
    it wouldn't be flung as you would see a bloodspray from a japanese cartoon, it'l just drip onto the wheel wnough to where the centrafudgal force will keep it in place, and it'l keep dripping in that line, creating a ring. until it leaks to the inner edge of the tire, whereas then it'l splooge everywhere. that's if it's break fluid, if it's the CV, then you'l know, as that has to rotate with the wheel thereby flinging the monkey's feces through a dozen fans.

PZ
    Redline
    the guy at o'reilly's said they carried (They can order.....)_something called a output shaft seal....has anyone here replaced this?
    I have, but that does not leak in the wheel well. It would leak at the inside of the driveshaft by the differential.

Maybe someone poured something on your wheel or you drove thru a small puddle of something.

Neutral
    thanks for all the input. I still haven't found the cause. I did however clean the fluid off of the wheel well and drove the car and it hasn't come back. soo either i had ran over some kind of fluid or i have a dry reservoir somewhere (I have checked brake, PS , engine oil, coolant and all are good) ????? I'll keep an eye on it an update when (if) i figure it out.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Danman, I'd very carefully inspect the outer CV Joint boots. you can do it just sitting in any parking lot/driveway - turn the wheel all the way to the left or the right, and run your fingers all the way around the joints. about the only thing that would "paint" your entire wheel well would be CV Joint grease. it doesn't have to be completely torn to do so.

it's possible you ran thru a puddle of something that would do it, but I'd be suspicious that it could happen. your Passat is a 2000, so with it being 7 years old, I'd be more inclined to say a CV Joint boot is the cuplprit.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information