CV Joint replacement cost?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

CV Joint replacement cost?

Drove the wife's '02 1.8T Passat wagon for the first time in months and recognized "the dreaded clicking sound" coming from the front driver's side when turning left and accelerating from a stop / at low speed.

Lacking the tools and space to do the job myself, I called the local VW stealership: "1,800+ with a new axle for the left side, more if it's the right side. . . ." :Yikes: :biglaugh:

Uh . . . am I missing something here? This price is insanley out of line--even for a dishonest-to-no-goodness dealerhsip--with what I have found in searching the threads.

Agagin, no shudder, thump, shake, shimmy, etc.; only a ratchet-like clicking, when accelerating during a lefthand turn at low speed or from a stop, that goes away as soon as the wheel is straightened out.

Any thoughts/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    $1,800 is outrageous - run away from that stealer!

Blauparts now sells just the outer joint and boot kit for $90 if you want to go that route. THe other option is complete axle replacement - I'd guess a reasonable price for that would be something like $250 depending on where/how much for the new axle.

My intake has Emphysema R36Dreams's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Raxles are $175 a pop. Did my driver side, pass is next.
    Local indy shop also said they'd put it in for me for just 1 hour labor. So that equates to about $300.

2nd Gear
    Yikes! Find a guy on here who's done it, get 2 new EMPI axles for 230 shipped and replace them both in 2-3 hours for a case of beer and maybe a dinner!! Dealerships never cease to amaze!

Neutral
    Thank you for the affirmation, gentlemen.

A trusted client and a coworker referred me to a guy who runs a local indy Eurocars shop, who said he will do it for $320 - $470, depending on whether he has to do one or two, and on which supplier he gets the parts from. "Have it here by 0800 on Friday and I'll have it ready to go by 1200.

'Nuff said.

If I have learned nothing else as a result of buying/owning two new VWs, it's that I should have payed better attention in Lit class: I am certain I missed the part where Dante spoke volumes about the level of hell where one encounters VW stealerships.

5th Gear
    My right side joint from RAXLES is arriving today....Im dropping the car off in the morning tomorrow and hes charging a few hours labor to replace it. Said it would only be a few hours total until I can come and pick it up.

Last year, when I had it at the dealership, they replaced the left side axle joint, left side hub, and left side bearing.....parts and labor came out to 1k. They charged a total of 4.5 hours labor.....the parts is where they got me.

Your dealership is ripping you off BIG TIME.

1st Gear
    i paid $170 to have the entire passanger side cv axle replaced yesterday.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information