CV joint needs replacing, but which one??
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

CV joint needs replacing, but which one??

Only when I make a sharp left turn, I hear clicking from the driver side. From what I've read here, its usually the opposing side. So this weekend I had my girlfriend hang out the passenger side to listen for the clicking as I was turning left. She didnt hear it. So is it the right or left thats clicking??
    Is the opposing side CV clicking a rule, or just a common occurance.

1 Yr ago, I discoved that both boots were leaking so they were re-packed and re-booted without changing the CV joint. The clicking or ticking seams to occur during a full fast left turn. With the windows open, during a turn, it sounds like a playing card in the spokes of a bike. Is replacing the joint really that critical or did re-packing the bearings with grease pretty much stop any farther damage and this is the worst its going to get?? What do really badly damaged CV joints sound like?

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Try pulling the ebrake, putting the car in nutral and jacking one side up. then turn the wheel all the way to one side and turn the tire see if the joint makes any noise or feels weard in any given spot then drop that side and try the same to the other side and the one that is worse is the bad one. This method may not be error proof but could give you an idea or which side it is. Good luck.

1st Gear
    Do you have steel wheels with wheel covers? It could be the wheel cover attachments creaking as the wheel flexes under cornering loads.

Dave

4th Gear
    Check the inside of your wheels - the side with the bad CV joint is likely to have grease all over it. And if its clicking, you've probably already damaged the joint so you'll need to replace it or the whole axle (your choice) rather than just repacking and replacing the boot.

Bad CV joints click pretty much just as you've described - badly worn ones eventually sound like BOOM!.

1st Gear

damage was done

The grease leak was discovered during a flat tire change. Since the clicking didnt sound too serious, I just replaced the boot and re-packed the grease.

I guess the real question is if the joint needs replacing right away, or can I wait until the noise becomes worst. Will it eventually make noise when going straight or just during turns? I'm assuming that additional friction is created only during turns.

Since a timing belt change is just around the corner, I rather save some cash until I really need to change the CV joint.

Its not the wheel. I have the original rims and switched the rims around when I purchased new tires.

2nd Gear
    I have a noise that sounds like I'm driving over a quiet rumble strip (those that are supposed to wake you up!). It's fairly quiet when going straight ahead, louder when I turn right and none-existant when I turn left.

I am still not sure which side it is coming from, or whether this is a wheel bearing on its way out or a CV joint on its way out. Any ideas?
    Both my CV boot spslit last year (10K miles ago) and were replaced but the noise has only started a month ago.

I jacked the car up and span the front wheels but no noise then. I guess less weight etc. on the wheels

4th Gear
    Mikel212 - If you wait until the noise becomes worse, you're risking having the joint break apart while you're on the highway - and trust me, that will pucker your sphincter like not much else - been there and done that. You don't want to wait on it if its clicking, its time to change it. If you wait and it goes, you're now also paying for a tow too.

billybobjerky - if you replaced just the boots last year, the joint itself may have been damaged some and is just now showing up. This happened to me on one side, I was good for about another 8k miles on the bad joint before it eventually completely went to crap. Your symptoms sound like a bad cv joint, and typically the noise comes from the opposite side of the car from which you're turning.

2nd Gear
    cheers turbomonkey.

It's a toughie because some people have said that a bad bearing sounds like that too. Don't want to waste my money replacing a good part

PZ
    Redline
    Bad CV joints can click on the inside wheel in the direction you are turning. Bad wheel bearings will usually hum on the opposite side of the turn. If you hit the gas hard enough, bad CV joints will click in either direction.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information