Thanks. Car jerks before full stop
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Thanks. Car jerks before full stop

I want to thank everyone for their help. I've owned my '00 V6 GXL automatic for 2 yrs w/87k and did very little maintance except for the regular oil change. I decided to keep my baby for a few more yrs and spend for some maintance. This summer, I've change brake pads, flush brake fluid, flush steering fluid, new tires, new tire rods, replace vac hose, change valve cover gasket, air filter. I still need to change timing belt, new coolant, drop the transmission pan, fuel filter, and shocks. Without your help, much maintance would have been ignored.

I've had this situation for quite some time now, the cars jerks a bit forward right before a full stop.
    I would have my foot on the brakes, and right before a full stop, the car will jerk forward just a bit. Nothing that would snap the heads of my passengers, but something that only the driver would feel. It feels almost like I release my brakes and re-apply them. I did notice that the rpm do go higher at the same time. In theory, shouldnt the rpm just go down and stay down to idle speed with the absence of acceleration or engine braking?

Do you think this is a brake issue, transmission issue, ABS issue, fuel issue or just normal for '00 auto V6 owners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
    just normal for '00 auto V6 owners.

I have a '00 Auto V6 with 79K miles and I don't think this jerk is normal...never had it in mine...no idea why it isnt normal though...

Neutral
    sounds as if your transmission is dropping itself into first gear just prior to fully stopping. Maybe a control solenoid in the tranny or something like that... perhaps a speed sensor too. I never deal with automatic transmissions so my advice is not the greatest.

4th Gear
    Not normal. Could be what brocorrado says. When mine down shifts from 2nd the 1st when coming to a stop, its barely noticeable. I'd change the ATF and filter and see if that helps.

etb
    Neutral
    Mine does the same thing; it's the automatic shifting down into first gear and the sudden, unexpected torque applied to the wheels that your current amount of brake pressure isn't suitable to stop. Put it in tip-mode and watch the dashboard gear indicator and you'll see what i'm talking about.

6th Gear
    is your car 4motion??????????????????

1st Gear

jerk forwards

Thank you all for your advise. I was planning to change the AT oil and filter with Mobile 1 ATF multi fluid this weekend for the first time.

My car is a FWD, not 4 motion.

What should the tranny do when a car slows down?? For autos, doesnt it go from 3rd, 2nd then 1st and stay at 1st? So, when you say "drop down to 1st", so you mean that it went from 2nd to 1st too quickly right before a full stop? I do have a history of being a hard braker, but I dont slam on my brakes. I will slowly roll to a full stop and see if theres a change by using the Tip.

Other suggestions are welcomed. thanks.

4th Gear
    Mine was doing something like that. The dealer fixed it with some kind of "reflash."

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    mine is currently doing the same thing.
    though, i have managed to keep it under wraps by tinkering around with how much pressure, i apply. if you're dropping speed fairly fast, i've noticed a much higher chance of this occuring, but if at a normal, slow rate of decreasing speed, without fuly applying pressure to the brakes, you can bring it to a clean stop.

this reflash you mentioned, do you mean a computer firmware update?

1st Gear

jerky

While it may not be normal for this car, it appears to be common. I know, it quite a small population. As long as its not just me.

Based on your feedback, it doesnt seem to be anything serious. It not worth going to the dealer since its no longer under warrantee.

I will report back after an ATF flush.

3rd Gear
    mine does it (2000 FWD 1.8T Tip variant 67K miles) but i've only had the car for about 1500 miles... it feels like a real quick/short engine braking attempt as it drops into 1st gear. i've also noticed it's somewhat controllable via the rate of deceleration and also planning on redline fluid flush when i get a round tuit. our 2002 FWD 1.8T Tip variant 52K miles did not do this.

a.s.

4th Gear
    Sipes216 wrote: "this reflash you mentioned, do you mean a computer firmware update?"

To Sipes216:
    That is my understanding. The Service Dept Computer printout reads:
    Customer Concern: Vehicle shifts harshly from 2nd to 1st when in Drive. Check and Report.
    Cause: Program
    37303100 TCM Update Programming
    7051 WV94 1.40
    FC: 3730110001
    No part number. No count number.
    Claim Type: W2

10303 1.40 .40 Found shifting from 2 to 1 is normal perf trans reflash per helpline.

So it sounds like the dealer had to contact the helpline to solve the problem. You can find out more about this on PW, as I did, by doing a search for tiptronic bump/jerk, or something like that. Thanks again to PW members for alerting me to the common problem. I had to strongly encourage the service advisor to solve the problem, which he tried to say was normal, under warranty. Good luck.

6th Gear
    DAMMMMM SO this is going to be a dealer fixer for me i guess......
    is it a transmission reflash thats needed?...
    i hate that 2nd - 1st gear jerk ... its getting annoying

what about the tranny fluid flush and filter change any difference with that done to the jerky problem ?

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by longboard View Post
    Sipes216 wrote: "this reflash you mentioned, do you mean a computer firmware update?"

To Sipes216:
    That is my understanding. The Service Dept Computer printout reads:
    Customer Concern: Vehicle shifts harshly from 2nd to 1st when in Drive. Check and Report.
    Cause: Program
    37303100 TCM Update Programming
    7051 WV94 1.40
    FC: 3730110001
    No part number. No count number.
    Claim Type: W2

10303 1.40 .40 Found shifting from 2 to 1 is normal perf trans reflash per helpline.

So it sounds like the dealer had to contact the helpline to solve the problem. You can find out more about this on PW, as I did, by doing a search for tiptronic bump/jerk, or something like that. Thanks again to PW members for alerting me to the common problem. I had to strongly encourage the service advisor to solve the problem, which he tried to say was normal, under warranty. Good luck.
    can you use the vag-com to do this or only the dealer can do this?

4th Gear
    I think it is a programming re-flash, meaning dealer.
    There was a TSB on it, I think - I checked on it when I had the dealer run the VIN on my newly acquired W8 to verify that all recalls had been done (heated seats & coils).

4th Gear
    This is the only TB I can find on flashing the TCM and it is for 3rd to 2nd harsh downshifting although maybe it corrects 2 to 1 also.
    Last edited by kenblasko; 11-20-2006 at 08:40 PM.

6th Gear
    is this a dealer recall ? or do i have to pay the dealer for this to be done?
    TIA

4th Gear
    No, it is not a recall. You would normally have to pay unless your under warranty.

4th Gear
    The dealer did mine under warranty.

6th Gear
    isnt the transmission warranty for 100,000 miles?

4th Gear
    IIRC, if your the original owner (or immediate family member of original owner) of a 98-01, then you have a 10yr/100k powertrain warranty which covers the transmission. Next owner, its cut in half to 5yr/50k powertrain warranty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    No, it is not a recall. You would normally have to pay unless your under warranty.
    That is total bullshit. Why should you have to pay for the company to fix something they should have gotten right to start with?

6th Gear
    bump for anyone else that car benifit from this

6th Gear
    any input for this ?

1st Gear

The ATF change helped.

After changing the ATF, the jerkyness is less. The old oil had 88k miles of usage. It was muddy black. After 6 quarts of M1, it doesnt feel a whole lot different while driving, but a bit better when slowing down. The jerkyness can still be felt during a hard stop, but during normal driving, its quite smooth.

The difference after the ATF change is usually felt during those odd braking and accelerating moments. I compete with the cabs in NYC, and the gears do not drop down as harsh. There were times when I had to slow down quickly, then gas hard. With the old ATF , there would be a lag, and when the transmission do catch up to the engine, there would be a harsh jerk. It seems alot smoother now with the new stuff.

4th Gear
    Did you drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, and clean the magnets?
    The initial fill on the 01V tranny is 9.0 ltr, per Bentley.
    There was still old fluid in the torque convertor, cooler, and lines.
    At 6 qts, I think you changed 5.67 ltr. (or roughly 63% of the fluid?)

6th Gear
    Ok i got the car on the VAG-COM today @ the tuning shop and there was not one code found on my car .. so the guy took it out for a test run and nothing happened so he suggested that i have the tranny fluid, filter, and gasket changed .... so i said that would be fine ...but when he told me that it would be $350 ....i swolled my gum that i was chewing and started to cough ..... He told me that the tranny fluid was $25 each and that i need a minimum of 5-6($150) and the filter and gasket was about $70=
    $220 for parts + $130 labor = grand total $350 ...........does that sound correct ? i could have swore that someone posted that the dealer charges $300 for this service ////.? what do you think i should do ?

Mike212: where did you get yours done and how much did they charge you ?

PZ
    Redline
    M1 is about $6 a liter. Filter kit about $30. DIY per the info forums: Priceless (but messy).

6th Gear
    i hope it wont be tooooooooo messy.

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Oh its messy really messy. You will slip on your driveway for weeks...lol.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information