1998 VW Passat 1.8t Starting problem Hot engine
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

1998 VW Passat 1.8t Starting problem Hot engine

The car has 113 000 miles on it. It has a Tiptronic
    This problem started about 4 months ago. First of I don’t drive this car every day .

When the car is hot minimum 15- 20 min or longer driving, full operating temperature.
    After I turn it off and right back on the car starts the normal. If it sits about 30mins to 1hr the car is very very hard to start. Actually it will start after trying for about 5 mins or so. It smells of gas and is flooding. It has not left me stranded. Here is the hard part about this problem it is intermittent most of the time it starts fine. It is ok for 1 week or so then I go somewhere and it happens again. The check engine light has never come on!

This is what I have done about it. First I replaced the spark plugs my existing ones had about 25 000 miles on them. The problem persisted. My mechanic told me that the ECU (engine control unit) on that type car often goes bad and showed me how to replace it. That seemed to help for a few weeks.
    Then it started again. The mechanic could not recreate the problem. Every time I took the car into the shop it would start normal.
    They checked and determent it could be the fuel pressure switch.
    The theory was that the fuel is dripping slowly into the cylinders and causing it to flood while sitting for 1hr.
    It was replaced the problem persisted. Next I had the Fuel injectors checked, cleaned and rebuilt. It seemed to help for about a week.
    Now I’m back to the same problem. Sometime it starts sometime it does not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    try changing the tempature sensor next and see what happens, it's a cheap part and not hard to change.
    you can find the writeup here...

Information-Forum Index (Before you search, look here!)

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...anttempsender/

may also be a bad mass air flow sensor.

3rd Gear
    also see if you can get your hands on a vag com. my friend had a same issue. it was the engine speed sensor

Neutral
    If your coolant gauge is giving bad readings (always at zero even when hot), it's the coolant temperature sensor. Cheap and easy fix.

1st Gear
    I had this same exact problem and I never found a solution. Although I never actually tried. I figured it was Best Buy's problem as it always happened in their parking lot and nowhere else.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information