Removal of Automatic Shift Knob and Gate on 1.8T Passat '01
NEWS

Closed Thread
    Neutral

Removal of Automatic Shift Knob and Gate on 1.8T Passat '01

Does anyone know how to remove the automatic shift knob on a '01 passat ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    I do. Put the car into 3rd gear. Push down on the metal ring below the knob. Pull out the button on the knob - all the way. Lift up on the knob. If the knob resists, you haven't pulled the button out enough. DO NOT FORCE IT - the repair is expensive if you break the actuator lever.

Neutral
    Well somehow my triptronic sensor broke in my '01 passat. (prehaps it was all my enthusastic "shifting"?!?!?) So I took the car to my local VW dealer (Vw of Fairfax in Fairfax ,VA---they are horrible at customer service btw--even though I purchased my car there 2 yrs ago) They quoted me a price of $500 for the part plus labor for a total of over $600 !!!!!

I decided to get a second opinion and called 1-800-VW-Parts---They said VW Dealers are scammers ! (which is true in this case) Anyways they quoted me a price of $145 w/ shipping for : the triptronic sensor/circuit board and black shift gate (since that broke too) The sales rep at VW parts says it a piece of cake to install and hardest part is getting the shift knob off.

Anyone have any experience w/ replacing this sensor? Removing the shift knob or Gate? Any advice would be very helpful. If you know where I could get a stepby-step or diagram that would be awesome !!

thanks for any help

Eric

PassatWorld Staff
    Why have you posted two threads on the same topic?

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information