Stop - Brake Failure - ABS Light
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Stop - Brake Failure - ABS Light

I have a 2000 Passat 1.8. My ABS and Traction light has recently come on and I do not know why. I took it to a local shop and their diagnostic machine read a code error of "B Positive Power Supply."

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that could help me? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I have a 2000 Pasat V6 and have had the same STOP - Brake Failure ABS Light issue.

I took my caar to VW and they diagnosed it as being my ABS Control Module needs to be replaced, they said the electronics part of the module is not working.

Good thing I have a third-party warranty covering the entire bill, or else I would have had to pay about $1,500 to repair.

I've heard of lots of people having issues with the ABS Conrol Modules failing in these cars.

Neutral
    is this a light that comes on and stays on?

i have a 1999 V6 Passat and every so often I get a "Stop" on the dashboard but no other indication to why I should stop its flickers on for about 3 secs and then is gone....

2nd Gear
    you could have a bad ABS module but we will need more info to correctly diagnose it. Look on here for the VAG-Com locater and have somebody hook up there laptop to get the codes. the ABS controller is expensive so it is best to make sure it is not one of the other components in the system first. good luck

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    If you guys do not get the module fixed or replaced soon, your car will not be able to communicate with any kind of a VAG-COM (dealership one, or small mechanic guy one) ever! So basically if there is anything else wrong with your car and you get a check engine light, you will not be able to hook up and VAG-COM and read the codes the computer has in memory at all, so you would not be able to diagnose any problems at all, you will end up with a broken car and will have no way of knowing how to fix it!

So get a new ABS module or fix yours soon!

Superhero
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreek2002
    If you guys do not get the module fixed or replaced soon, your car will not be able to communicate with any kind of a VAG-COM (dealership one, or small mechanic guy one) ever! So basically if there is anything else wrong with your car and you get a check engine light, you will not be able to hook up and VAG-COM and read the codes the computer has in memory at all, so you would not be able to diagnose any problems at all, you will end up with a broken car and will have no way of knowing how to fix it!

So get a new ABS module or fix yours soon!
    Explain...
    How is a bad ABS module going to keep me from reading codes?

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    At first everything will be normal, you will be able to hook up a VAG-COM and read the ECU and get codes and make changes, etc. But after about 8 months - a year, the ABS module will block all communications with the ECU, so if you hook up a VAG-COM again during that time, you will not be able to read the ECU or make any changes to it or get any fault codes it has stored for you!

2nd Gear
    Mrgreek is correct but because for most people the problem starts as intermittent it is possible to hook up the VAG-COM while it is working and read the codes. I forget the exact phrase but it will give you an error code of something like "ABS controller intermittent signal". If you get that error code it seems like 95% of time you need to repair or get a new controller. It is also possible that you have a bad wheel speed sensor which would give you a different error code. I don't know why but if the ABS controller dies you can't communicate with the computer. good luck

Superhero
    Will communication re-establish once the ABS controller is replaced?

1st Gear
    my abs module has been bad for about a year now (50k miles or so..) and no problems here. the vag-com doesnt even see the abs-module.

doesnt the abs-module report to the ecu, then you read the codes from the ecu? just like the the rest of the sensor do??

this is just my case though, maybe i just been lucky??!!!!

Alfredo

but, FYI, theres a couple of module rebuilders that can fix your abs module for around 250 buck.

1st Gear

Neutral
    This just happened to my wife's 98 1.8T. It was diagnosed to be a faulty ABS module. My shop (not a VW dealer) is searching for an used/rebuilt unit, but they are rare to find one quickly, apparently.

Another $1k on the car. Around $5k on repairs in the last 2 years.
    I was going to chip this car when I inherit it from my wife, but maybe I will just let this one go before it hits 100k miles.

Neutral
    Bump. Send my 2001 V6 ABS control module Bosch 5.7 to Module masters dot com and for $220 to my door it works like new!

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/abs/bosch53.php

X...

Neutral
    Hey, I had the same problem.

It was a wheel speed sensor, it might be that.

If not its your ABS control module..

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by gtracer View Post

My wheel speed sensor gave a different set of lights when it went. IIRC it was only the abs light, and the brake light, not the STOP!!! Brake Failure! thing with loud beeps in the MFA.

X...

Neutral

check this out

this link might helphttp://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option...=296&Itemid=57
    probably need to cut and paste or copy into your browser

Neutral
    If you need your abs module rebuilt, send me a pm

Neutral
    Ditto on this for my Bosch 5.3 in my 2000 wagon. Uninstall and re-install went pretty quick, and was able to use the car while the module was out for the rebuild. This is the way to go.

Neutral
    I get the Stop ABS fault. Mine only happens intermitently after a right hand turn. never left and never while braking straight (without turning). Any opinions (I have not hooked up to VAG-COM) on whether this is a wheels sensor or the more typical ABS module? At least the intermittent problem happens under a specific set of conditions. But I still need to get corrected.

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutchinator View Post
    I get the Stop ABS fault. Mine only happens intermitently after a right hand turn. never left and never while braking straight (without turning). Any opinions (I have not hooked up to VAG-COM) on whether this is a wheels sensor or the more typical ABS module? At least the intermittent problem happens under a specific set of conditions. But I still need to get corrected.
    I would check your wheel sensor first.....on the drivers side for thats the side all the way out if your making a right hand turn. Mine did that for a few days and then cleaned the sensor and pushed it back all the way....never has come on after that.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gtracer View Post

When you say "the same problem" do you mean that you got the big "STOP" AND three beeps? Or did you just get an ABS fault light? I'm trying to determine if it could be just the wheel speed sensor on if the STOP means real trouble.

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Quote Originally Posted by carbunkle View Post
    When you say "the same problem" do you mean that you got the big "STOP" AND three beeps? Or did you just get an ABS fault light? I'm trying to determine if it could be just the wheel speed sensor on if the STOP means real trouble.
    Well it only takes 2 mins to check. You don't even have to jack the car up...just reach around and ensure the sensor is in place correctly.

1st Gear
    I'll try that first off course. According to Modulemasters. com mine seems shot. But they do sell ABS modules there. I had mine out when I did the front bearings and CAs. I was able to push one of them in until it ground on the ring so I backed it out a tiny bit. Maybe I backed out too far. Thanks

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmeyer View Post
    His solution is careful soldering. Module Masters mentions thermal bonding. I'll bet what MM is doing, since soldering aluminum alloy wires is next to impossible, is to use silver conductive epoxy to bridge the broken wire. I suspect the factory used some form of ultrasonic welding to assemble this conflaguration.

IIRC from looking at a failed unit the break occurs near the larger terminals, so a small dab of epoxy there would be easy to apply. If I had time I'd buy a cheap defective one of Fleabay and give it a go.

just my 0.02 American Pesos.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy640 View Post
    I have a 2000 Pasat V6 and have had the same STOP - Brake Failure ABS Light issue.

I took my caar to VW and they diagnosed it as being my ABS Control Module needs to be replaced, they said the electronics part of the module is not working.

Good thing I have a third-party warranty covering the entire bill, or else I would have had to pay about $1,500 to repair.

I've heard of lots of people having issues with the ABS Conrol Modules failing in these cars.
    I have the same problem, its more than likely the ABS light broken.follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5FHVotKU4

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by dkeg View Post
    I have a 2000 Passat 1.8. My ABS and Traction light has recently come on and I do not know why. I took it to a local shop and their diagnostic machine read a code error of "B Positive Power Supply."

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that could help me? Thanks.
    ABS LIGHT PROBLEMS ARE ANNOYING! I've had loadsa problems with my passat and fixed most of them myself. follow this link it might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5FHVotKU4

1st Gear
    I'm interested in the outcome here, mine is blinking and I'm following the russian repair - hope my problem is in the module, not in the dash, like in that utube vid (which appears to be a newer car than my 98). Is that YOU Jaseyboy in the vid?

Anyway to you for helpin out,
    -Tom

1st Gear
    It's all "Greek" to me LOLOL (see the link)

Quote Originally Posted by quagmeyer View Post

Neutral
    Hi

I had problem with ABS light . Most people talks that this is broken ABS module.

But there can be another issue . ABS module checks everytime at start battery voltage. If it is to low , abs will light.

Recently I changed battery and problem has gone.

Regards

Neutral
    I just started to get the ABS and Brake light problem on my 2002 V6. It started happening after I changed brake pads, Tie Rod ends and all of the control arms in the front of the car. I thought it was the sensor, but I took it in to get the codes checked and told me it's for the ABS module. That didn't make any sense, but I tried fiddling with the wheel sensor and it didn't help any. I'll just add this to the list of annoying things that add to the charm of these cars.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information