Where is the starter relay?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Where is the starter relay?

Well I've just made it from to Scottsdale from Columbus, Ohio. I turn off the car get a bite to eat, go back out and the car won't start. So, I check some stuff and *think* the starter is bad. After tracking down a starter, install it and guess what......NOTHING! So now it's on to troubleshooting. From searching on the forum I've checked the CCM connections, charged the battery, checked the clutch 'safety' switch, and now I'm moving on to the starter relay. All of my manuals are back at the other house in Ohio.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE STARTER REALY IS???!!!!
    PLEASE.....
    Maybe even a diagram or something, I'm really at a loss. And it sucks being away from all my tools.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Solenoid is on the starter.
    Check condition of your battery cables and terminal connects. Both ground and +

1st Gear
    Checked all that. Need the RELAY!!!!!

1st Gear
    It's in the ECU box...........for those who might want to know in the future!

1st Gear
    Was told wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Starter relay is down under dash, relay # 185

And still have 'no start' problem.
    Last edited by is_it_fast?; 11-05-2005 at 05:07 PM.

3rd Gear
    Ignition switch?

1st Gear
    CHecked the ignition switch today. It is working as it should. All the relays function right. Ran a jumper from the battery to the terminal on the starter and the car started so I know it's not the starter(I just bought it this week as the first step in fixing my problem) Somewhere in between the ignition switch and the starter is the problem. I hope.

Neutral

Same Problem

Wife got home, then needed to go to store, car wouldn't start. Pulled starter, had it checked, it was good. Was moving next to relays, but that doesn't sound like it's the problem. After search, I see this has happened to a few people in the past week. If anyone has info please post. Could alternator circuit be the problem. Help!
    Last edited by Oilguy; 11-12-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Neutral

Ccm?

I have a 99 W/V6, I read in another post that on a 1.8T the CCM was the problem, does the V6 passat have the same CCM?

1st Gear
    Check the multifunstion switch on top of the transaxle. That is the only thing I have left to do when I get back out to Phoenix. If that is it I'll finally be back on the road after a week of electrical troubleshooting. Not fun in the middle of a cross country move.

6th Grade
    I'd be looking really hard at dreaded and evil corroded/broken wires near the CCM.

Neutral
    Had the CCM out, nothing seemed out of sorts. Ordered the relay, the relay had power to it so I don't think it's the ignition. Will go to the tranny switch if this doesn't do it.

Neutral
    Shoot, not the relay

Neutral
    Towed it to the dealer, after the tow driver got it off the truck he said he slamed it into park and decided to try to start it one last time. Started right up. The dealer said he'd diagnose and try to determine the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the switch at the transmission.

Neutral

I had exactly th esame problems

Couple weeks ago, my wagon 99, 1.8T did not start. After I have remove trim to look, what happens, it has started to work. Since than, it happens me two times, that it refuses to start. I have measured the starting interlock relay (under the drivers dash). I got +12V from the starting switch, but the relay was not grounded. When I wired the +12V from the cigarette lighter to the output of the relay (what realy has to turn on), I was able to start. It looks to me that the the multifunction transmission range switch did not ground the relay and thus, the car refuses to start.
    Could anyone tell me, where is the range switch? The range switch has to be connected to the ground on the ground point g201 under right side of dash. I have not tried to find this ground point yet.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Tomas

Neutral
    Dealer tested every system, switch, and relay. Could not find anything wrong?? It's running for now.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilguy View Post
    Towed it to the dealer, after the tow driver got it off the truck he said he slamed it into park and decided to try to start it one last time. Started right up. The dealer said he'd diagnose and try to determine the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the switch at the transmission.
    This same exact situation happened to me today. It was about 15 degrees out last night and the car wouldn't start this morning. All it did was offer one "click" and that was it. The dash lights lit up and nothing else happened. No cranking, nothing. I put in a new battery and same thing.

The tow truck brought it to the dealer and the car then started fine.

What do you guys think this may be? Did Oilguy find the problem?

Neutral

Update

The dealer replaced the ignition switch and thought it was totally fixed. On cold mornings now, it occassionally doesn't make a peep on the first couple of turns fo the key, and then fires up on a subsequent turn of the key. It's better then no starting at all, but something is still not right.

Do you guys have any ideas?

5th Gear
    my sister's mk4 jetta had a similar problem with the starter not engaging when under -10 degrees celcius. I traced the problem to be the ignition switch and replaced it this week ( replacement took 15 minutes) so far it starts up first try. Before it would just light up the dash, radio would come on and same with the heater fan. Once you turn to the starter position the starter would not engage and you will have to remove the key and reinsert a few time before it would engage.
    Now let's see when it gets cold it starts up one shot.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information