P0741 Torque Converter Circuit Perfomance or Stuck Off
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

P0741 Torque Converter Circuit Perfomance or Stuck Off

Purchased a new to me 2001.5 Passat Wagon 4 Motion with 63K. When I purchased the car everything checked out well. I've put about 2K on it and have been very pleased so far. This weekend the transmission started slipping a bit in first gear and was even a bit jerky a couple of times. Eventually it threw a Check Engine light. I took it to the dealer as I had the day off and he read the code as a P0741 - 'Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off'. He said I needed a new transmission and quoted 15 hrs ($1300) for labor and $4320 for a new Transmission.
    I was a little dumbfounded as to how a little slip turned into needing a brand new tranny without really getting into it more. Is this common? Do these VW auto trannies just go at ~65K? I am going to do some more research and get another dealer opinion. I took the car back, can I drive it OK without it getting worse, or will I eventually be broken down by the side of the road?? Does anyone know a source for a used 2001.5 4 Motion auto tranny???? Help

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

Update

UPDATE:
    After spending some time and making a few calls to other dealers about this problem it seemed odd and rare. No one had ever really seen that code before. This made me really question the diagnosis. After going back through the paperwork it appears the first VW dealer, Pactrick VW in Auburn, Mass never checked the fuild as part of his diagnostic. Odd, as when I callled and made the appointment I was told a possible reason for the slippage was that the tranny may be low on fluid. Hence I assumed that the diagonostic performed included the fluid level change. I eventually called Patrick VW up and inquired as to wheather that was done. I was told no and that's why it wasn't on my paperwork. Why any dealer ship would take a car in for a diagnosis and have the diagnosis be that the car needs $5K+ of work done without checking the fluid levels is just plain poor shoddy work. They charged me an hour labor to pull a code go for a drive and say it needs a new tranny. Prolly took em 15mins.....
    Putting all the pieces togehter I found a local highly recommended tranny shop in the area and went to them for a diagnosis. They checked codes, put it on the lift, filled the tranny and found what they believe may be a pinhole leak that may take a couple of years to run low. Great service, charged me a 0.5 hr labor and I was on my way.
    VW 60K check does not include a tranny fluid check. :Yikes:
    I've had the car for a day or so now and with the fluid at the right level it seems 100% better. I am confident that was the source of the problem.
    By the way I spent some time tracking down used and rebuilt trannies. This is the same tranny in the A4, and A6. Seems a yard tranny will run anywhere from $1000 and up. I found a place in pheonix that sells completely rebuilt and dyno tested trannies with a warranty for $1675.

Moral of the story, everything is good, My faith in german engineered trannys is back at 50%. Hand hold your dealer and dont go to Patrick VW in Auburn for service.

2nd Gear
    You can get a used one from car-part for under 500 bucks. Good to hear yours was just fluid.

PassatWorld Staff
    You have experienced first-hand the biggest frustration that all of us have with our VW's - truly horrible service.

Great cars though.

PZ
    Redline
    That is the 1st check engine light I have heard of for low trans fluid. Glad you got it worked out.

Neutral
    Had that exact code on my S4 - come to find out I needed neither the fluid, nor tranny nor the donut (torque converter) - the clutch solenoid had gone out on the torque converter, it was a $450 parts and labor fix at a local tranny shop.

I strongly recommend you scan your car with a VAGCOM and see what your TCM module tells you.

PZ
    Redline
    Hopefully after 5 years he has solved the problem.

1st Gear

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information