Suggestions? How to Replace coolant reservoir?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Suggestions? How to Replace coolant reservoir?

Im' about to get the coolant tank(reservoir) for our 01.5 v6 GLX.. cracked! but will not be replaced under warranty... it seems that when the tank get's hot w/ the coolant, it seeps through the cracks and leaks... although not profusely..enough that i have to add coolant at end of the week.. Providing its not a very hot day, and that the car is not driven 'hard'- it will not leak.
    I've thought of patching it, but i decided to just go ahead and buy a new reservoir tank. It seems like an easy process, maybe messy.. but is there a Do's and Don't when unplugging the sensor, the hoses, and filling up the new tank?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations!

Erick

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Grade
    There is nothing special about replacing the tank at all.

6th Gear
    There are only three connectors and a "low coolant" sensor attached to it, plus two hoses.

The hoses will need new hose clamps when you do the reinstall. Just try to siphon (baste ) out as much coolant as you can before removing the reservoir--to avoid a big mess in your engine compartment. Make sure the car has been off for several hours to be on the safe side

3rd Gear
    Sharky,

Thanks for that prompt response. It does seems like an easy swap- unplug, unhook, and replace and fill- yes? Cool!

Erick

1st Gear
    Your in luck because I just replaced mine two days ago. Same situation....V6, cracked and leaking. With my proceedure you won't leak a drop of coolant and won't have to suck it out.

First get yourself a clean plastic bottle, about 1 liter or so. You want it to be slender enough to fit down in behind the left headlight (set it on top of the vacuum reservoir). Remove the three bolts holding the tank. Then remove the small hose that goes to the top of the coolant tank and put the end of it into the opening in the plastic bottle. Lift the tank up and remove the bottom electrical connection (this is for coolant level monitoring). When you lift the tank up you'll notice that coolant will drain from the small hose and into the plastic bottle. Continue to hold the tank high enough to keep it draining until all the coolant has drained from the coolant tank. You can then remove the larger hose connection (keep holding the hose high enough so that coolant doesn't leak out) and swap in the other tank. The rest is easy.

Good luck.
    Last edited by vwfleet; 08-12-2005 at 12:05 PM.

4th Gear
    A bit off topic but out of curiousity what did the charge you for the new tank?

1st Gear
    I wanted a genuine VW tank. I bought it from mr-auto-parts.com. I can't remember what I paid but I see it's $33 there. Looks like the dealer would be about the same price. I see it's 24 something on 1stvwparts.com but you'd have some shipping cost.

4th Gear
    Wow, for about 30 bucks I could get rid of the nasty ass one in my car and swap in a nice new clear one. I might have to do this.

6th Grade
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomonkey@
    Wow, for about 30 bucks I could get rid of the nasty ass one in my car and swap in a nice new clear one. I might have to do this.

Plus, it'll peel off .5 seconds from your 0-60 time!!

What time is Matlock on?
    If I ever have to replace my coolant tank, I'm replacing with the Audi one simply because it's not the nasty clear type, but a silver color...would kinda match my engine cover and stuff that's painted reflex silver too.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    Plus, it'll peel off .5 seconds from your 0-60 time!!
    I have stickers for this kind of performance upgrade.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17
    If I ever have to replace my coolant tank, I'm replacing with the Audi one simply because it's not the nasty clear type, but a silver color...would kinda match my engine cover and stuff that's painted reflex silver too.
    Is it a perfect fit? Mounting holes match up?

What time is Matlock on?
    IIRC, yeah...direct fit. I saw it in a pic of another member that had just done a fabrication job on a custom airintake.....can't remember who though.

3rd Gear
    THANK YOU ALL that gave me their feedbacks... Thanks VWFleet! that was very clever!. I'm going to tackle it later today when it gets cooler. Since i cannot wait to have a new one shipped, we drove to VW Valencia in our 99 1.8t to pick up the new reservoir (40.00) At the same time, my partner who drives the V6 glx, this was the first time he saw new Passats. Well, needless to say, when the sales rep asked me if we have any questions, i said not really, "i got the alphadriver kit"- he asked me if i want to take it for a spin. Umm.. YAH!. It was a silver grey ? 2.06 sedan, w/ option2( i think). Okay, I haven't heard a Passat Automatic in Base Model that can "chirp" the tires! This car lurches much better than our V6 off the line!!! I WANT!!! but
    will have to wait for the wagon

E

Neutral
    dealer charged me 46 for a tank ............

4th Gear
    $22 at germanautoparts.com. Be careful when disconnecting the connector.

Banned
    Unbolt the tank, disconnect the temp. sensor, but before you disconnect the hoses, try to twist the tank so you can dump the coolant into a clean container so you can reuse it.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information