2000-2001 2.8 V6 ATQ engine code ONLY - Page 3
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Neutral

P0431 error code Emissions Worksop Light comes on!

I have a 2000 VW Passat that has 129K on it. About a couple of months ago, I changed out the origiinal spark plugs with Bosch Platinum 4 plugs. Yesterday was the first time that I got the Emissions Workshop light and the engine light came on as well. When I took it to AutoZone, they said that it was a code P0431. This means that it is either the CAT converter or O2 sensors. I can do some of the repair work myself, but is this beyond a weekender's realm of repair? Could I be getting this because of the type of plugs I installed? Any help would be great because I don't want to take it to a dealer and pay out the nose for it to get fixed.

P.S. Are there a few "little" things I can try/do to see if they might rectify the error code?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    teabo I think you need to reread this extensive post. having the dealer reflash your ECU will be cheaper than you replacing the oxygen sensors or the cats even if you do it yourself . I would go ahead and take it to the dealer and have them do the update (you might be able to get them to do it for free). If that doesn't help find some one with a vag-com and have them take a look at your oxygen sensors.

Neutral
    I have spoken with numerous dealerships and service managers trying to get them to help me with this software update you and many others have spoken about but non of them have ever heard about it.

Is there a bulletin # or some reference # I can give them to locate the update information. I have even called VW customer car (1 800-822-8987) and they too said it doesn't exist.

4th Gear
    TSB 01-05-13

I've run into a worse issue. I want the reflash done at my expense, but all the dealers in my area want to do an extensive (substute a p for the t and that also applies) analysis before doing the reflash. The only one willing to do it based on my instruction is 30 miles away.

4th Gear
    Even if something else is wrong you'll have to do the reflash anyways. Give that a try first by itself and tell the other dealers to stick it.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoddio
    Even if something else is wrong you'll have to do the reflash anyways. Give that a try first by itself and tell the other dealers to stick it.
    The ones that want to do the analysis say they are obligated to do it to be sure that the reflash will take care of the problem. What they don't realize is that there is no way in hell that I am putting $2000 in OEM cats on the car. I'm sure that is typically what they recommend.

It took a bit of charm and pursuasion to get this one dealer to do the reflash straight out. I think VW has been coming down on the dealers about unnecessary repairs.

2nd Gear
    jeffhagel
    as toomanypassats said it is TSB 01-05-13. A couple things to be aware of this reflash only applies to V6 engines (ATQ) and the update won't be done unless you are displaing a check engine light with an emissions workshop warning and the approriate trouble codes ( they are listed elsewhere in this thread). So if your car isn't telling you that you need to replace your cats don't worry about it. If this does apply to you and your dealer still doesn't know what your talking about time to find another dealer.
    Toomanypassats I can't believe they won't just do the reflash. That is maddening It seems like most dealers have a policy of not letting you leave until you have given them a minimum of $400. Well at least it shouldn't take them much more than an hour to reflash it at the far away place.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoManyPassats
    The ones that want to do the analysis say they are obligated to do it to be sure that the reflash will take care of the problem. What they don't realize is that there is no way in hell that I am putting $2000 in OEM cats on the car. I'm sure that is typically what they recommend.

It took a bit of charm and pursuasion to get this one dealer to do the reflash straight out. I think VW has been coming down on the dealers about unnecessary repairs.
    Thankyou everyone for your quick responce. I am displaying a check engine code (the one that relates to the cats, p0431 i think it was) and yes I have a V6 2000 Passat. Not sure what ATQ means? Mine is a Canadian car so I'm not sure if this has any relevance or not and it is a 5 speed.

Can you please tell me if my manual Canadian edition 2000 Passat V6 applies or not. and what ATQ means

Thanks again

4th Gear
    ATQ is the VW code for the 2.8 V6 engine used from 2000 to 2005. I don't know if Canada goes by the same emissions standards or whether VW uses the same logic in the Canadian ECUs. Any other Canadians know?

4th Gear
    NOTE: If this applies to your car and you are under 80,000 get it done soon. The program expires 28 July, 2006!

2nd Gear
    I have an appointment tomorrow for the TSB. Im going to see if they can reflash my tranny too. Wel see if it solves my Check Engine light problem as well. I have P0431 among others.

4th Gear
    Which tranny reflash are you getting? The TSB for harsh shifting that I saw seemed to only apply to 2004.

Overdrive
    I would stay away from any dealer that didn't want to flash your car if you are displaying the code, or says they need to do some other analysis first. Flashing the car is the cheapest possible fix, and the dealer is right to say "this may not fix the problem," but if someone wants to avoid a cheap potential fix, it makes me wonder what other agenda they have in mind? Can flashing screw up the ECU and if so, can the dealer put the blame off on the customer? Or maybe the dealer has been making good money on unneeded cat changes and is looking for other revenue sources?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Raacerx
    Im going to see if they can reflash my tranny too.
    Am also interested in details on a tranny flash as I 'm having a significent "clunk" as the car moves into first gear. Its not started occassionally as we move into second. Does not happen in either case if we gas it slowly.

The cars going in on Monday for the tranny clunk so any details on a known problem will be appreciated.

5th Gear
    I guess I got lucky with the reflash because I didn't have ANY papers and was way over 80,000 miles.

ibbryn, have you checked your transmission/engine/snub mounts?

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Well mines does this now but I just installed a new greedy snub.....I bet that is it too.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PRoJeKV6
    ibbryn, have you checked your transmission/engine/snub mounts?
    I took a look at them 6ish months ago when our 50K extended waranty was about to expire.
    Didn't examine them this time cuz I thought the clunk was just a problem my wife had reported to the dealer, but they were never able to reproduce or fix, with the transmission slipping.

This was a brain fart on my part in thinking it was the original problem getting worse rather than a new probelm with the mounts. I'll take a look at them ASAP. IIRC, you can see fluid leaking on the bad mounts?

I'm hoping whatever is happening is covered under a 100k/10year powertrain waranty the 2000 models were sold with....

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbryn
    Am also interested in details on a tranny flash as I 'm having a significent "clunk" as the car moves into first gear. Its not started occassionally as we move into second. Does not happen in either case if we gas it slowly.

The cars going in on Monday for the tranny clunk so any details on a known problem will be appreciated.
    Ok here is the issues I ran into trying to get this B3 recall done. The first dealer I went to , i made the mistake of mentioning that I got a check engine light and naming some of the codes. The second he heard they, he got out the calculator and tried to get me to bend over. "Well sir, we have to charge you a $125 diagnostics to make sure that flashing the ECU will not freeze the computer of the car, rendering the car immobile." They wouldn't do the service without the diagnostics, and they also told me theyd do it in an hour and when I showed up they demanded keeping the car. Thanks Bob Lewis Volkswagen.

Went to Steven's Creek Volkswagen, decided to be honest again to see if they reacted the same. Man what a difference. Much friendlier, they scoffed when I said the other dealer tried to charge me. They looked at a bunch of other stuff anyways, knowing I would most likely do the work myself. Tested out the cats for awhile, I watched em, and my cats need replacement (of course Im out of warranty). The tech advisor suggested I go with Magnaflow cats, as they are only $100 instead of $1100 and said they would work fine. Now that is advice that I want from a tech advisor.

He said there is no transmission flash they can do to my car, that it was only late late '03s and 04s that had the issue, and he says hes only seen a few. They gave a brief look at the tranny, tried to run some diagnostics, but could not find anything technically wrong, but they agreed there was indeed something wrong. Anything else and I would need to drop the car off. Even though I just did a ATF flush I might try going to the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Neutral
    WELL good news, I finally found a dealer that helped me too. They located the TSB finally and said they had never heard about it, so I owe all you guys a huge thanks!...he said it came out July 28th 2005 and it does say that VW will pay the dealers for this update for 365 days after the TSB was issued, confirming the earlier post that this does EXPIRE July 28 2006!

4th Gear
    Just got back from the dealer. Readiness is at 00001000. The 1 is for secondary air not ready, so I guess the engine was still warm when I picked up the car from the drive over. I'll let it cool, restart it and I should be good to go (to the emissions station that is). It's really that last zero that makes me smile (cats).

4th Gear
    Well apparently that engine holds heat pretty well. It was still 69 C and I couldn't get the sec air readiness to set. I may have to go out and spray it down with a hose so I can sleep tonight .

2nd Gear
    Jeff
    are you under the 80,000 mile warranty? My dealer made me pay for this did you get it for free? If I find out that they should have done this for free I will be pissed

4th Gear
    The TSB clearly states that the car must be inside the federal emissions warranty. Anyone who gets it done for free over this limit is lucky. I asked the service manager if I would be charged the 90 TUs that VW allows, or less. He said that 9/10ths should be fine. And I thought 90 TUs was 90 minutes! $78 and it's done- woohoo!

Neutral
    My 2000 Passat Station Wagon, V6, ATQ, auto trans is at the dealer literally right now for servicing due to a "clunk" when we move from park to 1st gear.

I gave the service manager a note with the info from this thread, including TSB# 01-05-13 and the date of issue, and he says he can't find anything regarding it.

He said he'd call VW for more infor but I thought this info would come up when he entered our VIN.

Any guesses on why he doesn't see it?

2nd Gear
    perhaps he is an idiot
    or perhaps he doesn't want to bother
    If I can get a hold of the TSB he should be able to, no?

Neutral
    "perhaps he is an idiot"

Yeah, I guess that would be one explanation.

I was kinda thinking that maybe the station wagon model is not covered...or I have a California model that's not covered....or....(maybe he's an idiot...)

So the TSB number posted in this thread should give him everything he needs to get this taken care of?

Neutral
    Hey all.
    I have two questions that I'll get to at the end, but here's some background to them:
    I was pointed to this thread by a friend that is a long-time poster at PassatWorld. I have the ATQ motor ('01 GLX), which is reading both P0431 and P0421. These two CELs came up in posts here and seem to be an indication of my ECU needing a flash / update.
    So, I'm worried about my local dealer taking me for a ride, so to speak. They insist that although I have the CEL in hand, they have to daignose the car, which may NOT be applied to the cost of flashing the ECU - IF they even determine that needs done. I have some negative history with them avoiding repairs, and ultimately having to involve VWoA to have the same problem addressed four times!
    I gave them the TSB number and the service guy wasn't really interested.
    So here are my two questions:
    (1) Is the June 30th date an end-all date such that I won't be able to reference this TSB to a tech after July 1? (does it somehow become void?)
    (2) Does anyone have a hard copy of the TSB so that I can review its terms?

Thanks for the help!

4th Gear
    July 28 is the last day it is free.

Here are the conditions:

Condition
    Update Programming required to eliminate
    possible DTCs caused by the On Board
    Diagnosis OBD for the Catalytic Converter
    system which is too sensitive and sets fault
    codes without a defect in the catalyst system.
    Service
    Requirements:
    Vehicle must meet ALL of the following
    criteria.
    1 - Procedure is valid only for vehicles that
    show the B3 code in the OTIS View
    Campaign inquiry screen on the day of
    repair (see Page 12).
    2 - Vehicle must be within the Federal
    Emissions (E1) Warranty .
    3 - Procedure must be performed within the
    allotted time frame stated in this
    Technical Bulletin.

Neutral
    So, because I don't meet those requirements, are they not obligated to perform the flash at my request?

(Requirement 1) Don't know what OTIS view is.
    (Requirement 2) I'm outside the 80K Federal Emissions (E1) Warranty by about 8K
    (Requirement 3) time frame is through July 28th - thanks for the clarification; I thought it was June 30th.

I'm not concerned with paying the 0.9 hours labor, it's the additional 1.5 hours for diagnostic that I'm flinching in pain from. Labor is well over $70/hour at the dealer.

5th Gear
    Quick question.

I already had the car reflashed, several thousand miles ago, but I just got a new engine that is already throwing an Emissions Workshop code. I haven't been able to check it yet, but I wouldn't have to get the car re-reflashed, would I?

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information