'99 Passat GLS idles rough and dies! Plz Help!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

'99 Passat GLS idles rough and dies! Plz Help!

My friend and I just finished installing a Kicker audio system in his '99 Passat GLS, but when we went to start the car the battery was dead. We jumped the car, but now it idles really rough. It will also randomly die, and when given any gas it won't rev up until about second or two after pressing on the gas. Then it will rev up and down as it pleases regardless if you're holding the pedal down in one place. Anyone know what could be wrong with the car? It just had an engine swap after the timing belt broke on the original engine (now has an Audi 1.8T with 60K miles on it).

PS. My friend went to ground one of the amp grounds where the other amp was ground and it let out a pretty big spark. Anyway this could have possibly fried the ECU (but then would the car start), or could the alternator be screwed? Right now the battery is hooked up to my charger so it can be powered up. Also an check engine light is being thrown!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Do a throttle body adaptation.

Open the driver's side door (leave it open).
    Put the key in, turn it to on (do not start it).
    Leave the key in the on position with the driver's side door open for a minute or two.

Problem fixed (maybe).

Neutral
    Didn't work The car doesn't idle rough anymore, but when I rev it up and it goes back down in RPM's it seems as though it's going to shut off but fights its way back to life. I also put a new battery in it incase the old one was fried

1st Gear
    Get the code(s) read at Autozone or some other parts store (for free). Post them.

Try to disconnect the audio amp; it might be putting too much of a load on the alternator at idle.

3rd Gear
    You need to have a throttle body adaptation done at the dealer, or have a local help you out with the VAG-COM software. Have them set block 60 to default settings.

-Mark

Neutral
    We pulled the entire system while fixing. I got it idling normally last night but today it died on me so I changed the plugs and it started right up, but it idle's rough again, the RPM's jump up and down when you give it gas, and it's just being a major pain in the ass! I'm afraid to drive it to get scanned bc of the way it keeps lurching and will occasionally die.

3rd Gear
    Try this:

unplug the MAF Sensor. If it doesn't die on you anymore after you unplug it, you've got a vacuum issue.

Jack up the front of the car, make sure the DV is connected. Check all your hoses. I think it was a just a freak coincidence that your install and this happened at same time.

worth a shot

Neutral
    not a vaccum leak, its code P1545. Anyone know what that is?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by prixmature
    not a vaccum leak, its code P1545. Anyone know what that is?
    It's a malfunction in the throttle position controller/sensor. Throttle body...

If you have access to a VAG-COM have the full TBA done (as per mghunt's suggestion).

Neutral
    I don't have a VAG-COM. It's not my car, but my friend doesn't have one either

2nd Gear
    Letting us know where you are located would help. Or check out this link
    VAG-COM Locator

Neutral
    I'm in central IL. I go to school at U of I in Champaign/Urbana but the car is in Lincoln, IL right now

3rd Gear
    If its a throttle position problem you can still drive it. It'll throw codes, etc, but as long as you're on the gas it won't die. When at idle, just blip the gas and hold the rpms up and it won't die. Also, don't be surprised if the idle does the opposite and surges upward on its own. P1545 is the code that my car throws all the time. I think it may be a bad electrical connection. The code is "throttle position controller intermittant". The car will drive jumpy, but should behave itself for the most part if you get out of stop and go driving.

Neutral
    Well I cleaned the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner and so much nasty **** came out :-P But the car idles fine now, but when you press on the gas a bit (for a low rev) the RPM's just jump up and down. Only time it doesn't do it is past 4K so everytime going into first is like doing a burn out.

2nd Gear
    yea i figured a dirty throttle body. did he add an aftermarked dv? or get chipped? when i did that the vacuum hose blew off and the car would die.

Neutral

I have the same P1545 ....I will try to find a VAG-COM

I have the same problem, I check all and the VAG COM it is the last one.
    I'm looking for somebody who has a VAG COM in Oregon. I will let you know if it will work after that or not.

Neutral

Code P 1545 ...gone

I went to a VW& AUDI shop and for $20 they reset my computer. Everything is come back to normal.

Neutral
    all.....will P 1545 throw a CEL? or could i be experiencing this without a CEL?

last year, i was having similar problems, as a result of a faulty coolant sensor.

my problem seems to happen when it's VERY hot outside. i'll get very rough idle (intermmitant between ~400-900 rpm) and no power. it usually dies if i'm stopped at a traffic light. also, it usually goes away after a few minutes.........but never a CEL?

i have a 1999 1.8 automatic.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information