Asr
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asr

Neutral

Asr

The ASR warning light came on in my daughter's passat and when I took it to the dealer for evaluation, I was told nothing was wrong and that wet weather can interfer with the sensing device. I was not satisfied with this explanation. Anyone know more about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sehnatty
    The ASR warning light came on in my daughter's passat and when I took it to the dealer for evaluation, I was told nothing was wrong and that wet weather can interfer with the sensing device. I was not satisfied with this explanation. Anyone know more about this?
    The ASR light usually comes on when the tires start spinning and they propably were if it was slippery.

5th Gear
    YOu mean it came on and stayed on? Or it was flashing on and off?

If it were flashing, its the tires slipping. Its normal.

Neutral

Asr

It came on and stayed on, thanks

3rd Gear
    when ASR is disabled via the switch by the radio, the light stays lit on the dash until it's either re-engaged via the switch or the car is turned off and then back on (since ASR always is "on" by default the light will go off).

so, is there any chance it was turned of via the switch? did it stay lit after turning the car off and then back on?

a.s.

Neutral

Asr

I'm not sure that my daughter turned it off by accident but after school when she turned the car on, the light came on again and stayed lit. She called me and not being familiar with the system I called the dealship who stated it was safe to drive and to bring it on in. Since that episode last week she hasn't had any further problems with it and it's been raining like crazy here in Pasadena

3rd Gear
    Press the button on the dash to turn it on/off, and let us know if the light turns off.

Neutral

Asr

Ok, thanks

Neutral
    in some cases it is safer to drive with ASR OFF

Neutral
    Hi Everyone,

I have a VW 2001 1.8 T. I have had a problem with the ASR light coming on and staying on for more than a year. It is horrible. They can't figure out the problem. I can't tell you how many things they've tried to fix this.

My ASR light comes on while driving on DRY pavement and stays on. My car's performance decreases greatly. I have a case with 800-VW and my local VW has been trying to fix this for a year. The MAF (mass air flow) is still failing, but since it has already been replaced TWICE, they won't replace it again. We got an extended warranty on the MAF as you might recall.

I am at a loss.. they've replaced the air filter, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the ASR switch, they've redone all the ground connections, and replaced the spark plugs. NOTHING IS WORKING. MY ASR LIGHT STILL COMES ON 4 DAYS/ WEEK.

If anyone knows anything, please help me! Right now, my VW has their techline involved and even they don't know what to do. I've payed for several UNNEEDED repairs for my car and the ASR light still comes on.

ANY THOUGHTS AT ALL ON THIS SUBJECT?? Thanks so much! -Simcha

Neutral
    it's a Jetta by the way....

2nd Gear
    Both our 2003 Jetta and Passat had this issue with the ASR light staying on. If the ASR was turned off a yellow symbol with a circular arrow appears. When you restart the car it defaults back to On and the synbol dissapears. If it stays on all the time like ours, it is a Brake Light Switch (though having nothing to do with the brake lights) that needs changing. Its covered under the 4y/50,000 warranty. Its a 30 min job to replace the switch. When it stays on it means that your ABS and traction control systems are malfunctioning or not working. The ASR is your traction control device that also uses the ABS and the EDL. Same goes for models equipped with ESP.

Neutral
    That explains the poor performance. So, you're saying that if I replace the Brake Light Switch the ASR light will no longer come on and the car won't be practicing in traction control mode?? That would be great if that's all it takes...

Neutral
    Greyvariant-
    Do you have any thoughts on the Mass Air Flow sensor? I wonder why they replaced it twice and it is still coming up on the computer as an error.

I take my car in whenever the ASR light comes on (because if I make an appointment, chances are that it won't be illuminated) and the technician puts the computer on it. If I turn the car off and back on, the light's off again. Isn't it normal for the light to be off?? I want the light off don't I?? Because when it comes on, my car hesitates and doesn't respond when i press the pedal at times...

Thanks for responding. -Simcha

2nd Gear
    the ASR light has to be off completely when the car is turned on (engine running). When you start the car, the ASR light and others will illuminate briefy as a self check and then go off. If the ASR continues to stay lit, even though you have not touched the ASR button, then you have a problem. It only flashes when the traction control system is in use. Like the ESP the ASR links several componets together like ABS and EDL these control the braking of the car not really performance. The MFA sensor is probably the culprit for that lack of response. The Service Tech should be able to diagnose both issues through the car's computer.

Do you use a aftermarket airfilter like K&N? Or do do use the stock paper filter? Some case regarding damaged MFAs have been linked to the use of over oiled K&N air filters or any of the such that require oil to be sprayed on them. The problem is when you over oil the filter and the oil gets sucked in damaging the MFA. What about the vacume hoses, were those repalced? Do you have a B5 or B5.5? I'll get you the Brake Light Part # cause we had the very same issue with the ASR on both of our 2003s.

2nd Gear
    Here's what they did " Replace Brake Light Switch part # 3B0-945-511

Try posting this at www.vwvortex.com in the B5 forums, maybe others have experienced the same issues with the MFA.

Neutral
    My ASR light normally comes on during ignition and turns off. You're right: that is normal. But the ASR light comes on and stays on while I'm driving. It's dry pavement and I haven't been racing. For example, as I'm sitting at a stop light, it will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. There is definitely a problem because it shouldn't do that.

My airfilter is factory I believe. When I bought the car used, it did have some after market parts. But they are all exterior, e.g. underbody kit, new suspension, and it was lowered. The car really looks good (it's bright blue lagoon too, which I love), that's why I'd rather get it fixed than get a new one.

Whenever the ASR light comes on and stays on, I take it immediately to my local VW and they always put the computer on it. EVERY TIME the mass air flow is the error. As you may know, this part has an extended warranty. The thing is is that my local VW has replaced the MAF twice and they refuse to do it again because they "think something else is causing the MAF to error out." So, I don't know what to do.

I'll try the website you mentioned. I really appreciate your help. -Simcha

2nd Gear
    Try another VW dealer but don't mention the MFA changes. When my 2003 came with misaimed headlights my local dealer insisted that they were to specs. I took it to another one 20 miles away and they adjusted it to specs, it was never adjusted. Same goes for a annoying rattle, took it 4 times to the same dealer, the other dealer who who fixed the headlights also fixed the rattle. Turned out to be a improperly torqued spare tire lug bolt. The noise has never returned. So sometimes the dealers don't necessarily know what they are saying. Remember its usually 1 mechanic that does it and they rely on his advice before they pass adjustment. The VAG tool that they used will certainly tell them what the problem is. Just like the radio, my new dealer hooked up the VAG and the reason I was not getting AM reception was a bad antenna base. Everything is linked up together in our cars so its easier to find problems. The blue colour of your car is either Fjord or Ink Blue, Blue Lagoon was a Jetta, Golf and Bettle colour. A beautiful and rare colour.

2nd Gear
    Oh and your ASR is working fine except for the part where its staying on, that's not normal. It only flashes or is in operation when one wheel looses traction, you don't have to race for it to come on. It you take off a little fast and the road is wet or there is some loose gravel, it will flash, retard power a little then as the wheel regains traction it will take off. Turn it off if you are stuck in mud or snow and want to spin the wheels to free yourself. I keep on my ASR and ESP on all the time.

Neutral
    Yeah, it has flashed before in the rain.. I understand that that is normal, but it comes on when the tires are on dry pavement and STAYS ON. I know something is wrong because when I press the gas, the car hesitates most of the time. It doesn't drive like a normal car. I'm jerking at fast and slow speeds most of the time because of it. People behind me probably think I'm crazy going from slow to fast. The fact is is that the gas won't let me go for a few seconds, huge lag time...

yeah, my Jetta is Blue Lagoon. You're right, it is very rare. That's why I really like the car.

my dealer has cleared all of the codes several times... when they give it back to me, they tell me the codes are all clear.
    but a day later while driving the light will come on and stay on for no reason. I don't know what to do anymore. should I insist that they replace the MAF again after they replaced it twice? could my car be a lemon?? or is it not that bad??

Neutral
    Also, when the light comes on, I try to turn it off using the ASR button, and that doesn't work...

Neutral
    oh, you may not have known that I have a Jetta... I'm sorry to confuse you.

2nd Gear
    Oh I thought you had a Passat. Give VWoA Customer Care a call and voice your situation, maybe they can have a factory rep look at it. Because it should not do that. Clearly there is something at fault for it to throw those codes. If you can take to another VW dealer you will be to see if they can find out. Was your Jetta a CPO? But definately post this over at the Jetta & Golf IV forums at vwvortex.com. I am sure you will get more info on that. Most people here are Passat owners. Jetta and Passats are a bit different, the latter using mostly Audi technology and parts. You'll find more tech people over there in the Jetta forums that may be able to give you better answers.

Neutral
    I got my Jetta from a private owner, so it wasn't CPO. I've posted at vwvortex like you said. I'll try taking it to another dealer and see what happens. Thanks so much for your help!

Neutral
    Should I still check my brake light switch?? or does that only apply if I have a Passat? Thanks again..

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    Change the Brake light switch .. its like $8 I was suffering the same issues and I have a Tip ..

Here is a DIY how too

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315

Neutral
    Thank you. Will this fix my ASR light problem? The ASR light comes on and stays on sporadically... it's very strange. And the dealership doesn't know what to do.

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information