How To: Change Alternator on a Passat 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

How To: Change Alternator on a Passat 1.8T

This was done on a 2000 Passat, ATW 1.8T.

Please make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery before attempting this.
    If you do this going easy, it may take a few hours. Newman and I did this twice (because of a faulty replacement part), first time it took us around 6hours (we wasted quite a bit of time), the second time (I was doing everything along with taking pics) it barely took us 30 minutes.
    Note: When buying the replacement alternator, please get the new unit tested before going out the shop. We ended up buying a faulty part and had to do this procedure twice.
    Also, take a picture or draw/use a diagram of the belt routing for reference later on.

On with the procedure.

Step 1: Remove throttle body intake hose & the power steering fluid reservoir cover (for better clearance)

hose/cover removed:

Step 2: loosen the belt tensioner with a crescent wrench, hooking on the ear of the tensioner and turning it clockwise

Step 3: use a clutch nut (available for rent from Kragen/Autozone; just ask them to rent you a fan clutch removal tool kit) and an allen socket wrench to remove the radiator fan so you can access the lower bolt of the alternator.

Step 4: dismount the fan and move it towards the side

Step 5: Use a allen socket to remove the lower alternator bolt

Step 6: Remove the top bolt, be careful not to strip the bolt (like newman and I did).

We ended up filing the sides of the bolt and used a curved jaw plier to remove the bolt. We also replaced it with an M8 1.0 type bolt for easier use going forward. Plier Pic

Step 7: Remove the electrical connections on the back of the alternator, there is one plastic socket type connector and one metal connector with a nut on it.

Step 8: Take out the old unit, it is mounted pretty snug so you may have to use a small pry bar to push it out, you would need to maneuver it a bit around the coolant hose on top(no need to remove the coolant hose). Our passat had a 90amp valeo unit, others may have a bosch one. this would be a good time to upgrade your alt as well. i bought a 120 amp valeo unit which is basically a v6 passat unit. place back the new one.

Step 9: Connect the wires on the back, place the alternator back and align the bolt holes and mount it accordingly. you can also mount the fan back in to place and tighten its bolt.

Step 10: Use the crescent wrench (clockwise) on the tensioner ear to bring it forward and route the belt as per your diagram/picture. I want to mention that it's a good idea to replace the belt at this time but I didn't have enough time to do it.

Hope this helps, suggestions/comments welcome. If mods think this is worthy, please feel free to move it info-base.

We just wanted to thank all PW members for being a brilliant source of knowledge on our cars. This was my (and Newman's) "Thank you" to all of you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Akhristov? Hey, that guy owes me money!
    Nice, yep, needs to go to info-base.

Neutral
    So i changed my alternator and still it doesnt start waht could it be?

3rd Gear
    is the battery charged enough to crank the engine?

3rd Gear
    Very nice

I have never had reason to do do this repair, lucky I guess, and someday I will. I do note that Bently manual saiys to secure the viscus clutch pulley by inserting a 5mm punch (any 5mm dowel, or perhaps a nail) into the back side of the pulley. Two fin like potrusions on the mounting bracket hold the pin and keep the pulley from rotating. No special wrench needed.

3rd Gear
    it was newman's idea to make a write-up. i think he's trying to redeem himself from all the useless crap he usually posts

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Also a few things I wanted to add

1) Get your new alternator tested before leaving the store. It will save you the hassle if your alternator is broken as the one we purchased was.

2) In the event that you end up seizing a bolt file off either side of the bolt to create a surface to turn the bolt.

3) Take a picture of what the belt routing looks like before you remove the belts.

4) If you are considering/going to need to get this done/having it done, do it yourself. I really can't say how easy this is to do, especially as you get the hang of it. Definetly one of those things that is better to do yourself rather than pay to have it done by a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by beaumisbro View Post
    it was newman's idea to make a write-up. i think he's trying to redeem himself from all the useless crap he usually posts
    Meh, check the off topic section, two words "Kate Moss"

Neutral
    So i worked all day on the passat and finally made it start. Its kinda possesed blinkers are on and off back and forth. It starts and sometimes shuts off and wont start again. I rev till reaching 3k and smokes coming like from the turbo area but more to the block. I know that it sat for about a year and the gas coud be bad. But could be the problem electrical?

4th Gear
    You really need to start a new thread, as your question doesn't really have much to do with this HowTo thread.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergobich View Post
    So i changed my alternator and still it doesnt start waht could it be?
    I did my alternator on 2.8L 1999 Passat yesterday and i flushed out my Antifreeze(G12) few things you should look into if your car isn't starting are first check your battery is connected or not second (remeber you need to jump start your car if your battery your alternator was gone and you were still driving the car). if still no luck leave the jumper cables connected to your car and others while running the other car give this few minutes since your car battery probably drain completely and need to recharge. now turn on ignition and see if you see the clock and mileage in your dash turn off all the interior lights and start your car if still no luck than get under the car to see you connected the alternator cables to engine (2 plugs on mine make sure both are connected) now leave it for few more minutes if still no luck than i guess either you mess up replacing it or defective alternator

Neutral
    ugh got all the way up to taking the replacement out of the box and noticing now i have to get the pully off the old one.... ya right .. rusted in bolt that spins hahaha

4th Gear
    Nicely done, I hope this is in the info base.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Very nice

I have never had reason to do do this repair, lucky I guess, and someday I will. I do note that Bently manual saiys to secure the viscus clutch pulley by inserting a 5mm punch (any 5mm dowel, or perhaps a nail) into the back side of the pulley. Two fin like potrusions on the mounting bracket hold the pin and keep the pulley from rotating. No special wrench needed.
    Nail wont work, it will just bend, the punch works fine, but the part that needs to be 5mm is the handle of the punch not the actual end. Also this was the ONLY way to do it on my 2001 because there was no nut on the shaft to attach to like the one in the picture.

CNC
    Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 99B5V6 View Post
    I did my alternator on 2.8L 1999 Passat yesterday and i flushed out my Antifreeze(G12) few things you should look into if your car isn't starting are first check your battery is connected or not second (remeber you need to jump start your car if your battery your alternator was gone and you were still driving the car). if still no luck leave the jumper cables connected to your car and others while running the other car give this few minutes since your car battery probably drain completely and need to recharge. now turn on ignition and see if you see the clock and mileage in your dash turn off all the interior lights and start your car if still no luck than get under the car to see you connected the alternator cables to engine (2 plugs on mine make sure both are connected) now leave it for few more minutes if still no luck than i guess either you mess up replacing it or defective alternator
    I just replaced my alternator, the only thing wrong with the old one was bad bearings. Now it won't turnover, no click or anything??? The starter "never" showed any problems before replacing the alternator.

1) Battery is good (even switched w/my Nissan) still won't turnover.
    2) Lights and accessories work fine. Car will start by bump starting (stick).
    3) I had the alternator tested at Autozone (where purchased) but they only checked for charging.

Help!!! any ideas??

^ I replied in your other thread in the B5 Garage section.

Neutral
    Does anybody know what size alen wrench i need for the bottem alt bolt?

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information