I was doing some search on how to replace these bulbs and couldn’t find anything with pictures.
Replacing rear brake light (passenger side)
Procedure was done in a 2002 VW Passat 2.8 V6 Sedan.
Materials needed are a pair of small scissors and the 1122 Dual filament bulb.
Scissors only used to free the access panel from carpet stitches.
Do at own risk**
If you feel safer with the dealer, please do.
Author will not be responsible for any damage to property or personal injury while undergoing this procedure. If everything is okay, here we go.
1. Cut stitches on the top and bottom of the access panel. Use a small scissor and be careful not to cut anything else aside from the stitches.
2. Open the panel to gain access
3. Release holding brackets then pull the assembly out. Take caution on the bulbs. For me, I had to pull the upper portion of the carpet a bit to make more room while pulling it out.
4. Once the assembly is out, replace worn out bulb. I bought the bulb from the dealer since my local Canadian Tire store didn’t carry it. Bulb type is 1122 from GE (dual filament).
5. To put it back, just reverse the procedure
If there are any corrections and an easier way to do it please don’t hesitate to inform me and will do necessary adjustments. Thanks!